PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for 400EX / Lexx exhaust vs. stock muffler

HY400EX
01-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Is a Lexx exhaust with the supplied spark arrestor much louder than the 400EX stock muffler? I do not want to piss of people where I ride.
Will I get any performance gains to justify spending the money? I will be leaving the stock air box lid on. Due to where I ride there is a lot of mud and water.
Thanks

lester985
01-21-2010, 12:15 PM
u are lookin at an avg of 1 to 1 1/2 hp gain

HY400EX
01-21-2010, 02:27 PM
How about the noise vs the stock muffler?
1-1.5 hp is not much for $180

lester985
01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
i dont know about noise i never heard them but i just took my x6 off because of noise

mdt75crazy
01-21-2010, 04:11 PM
maybe this will help a lil http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346007&highlight=exhaust+sound+clips

HY400EX
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by lester985
i dont know about noise i never heard them but i just took my x6 off because of noise

I know what you mean about noise. I took off my DG RCM Power Krome full exhaust that came on the quad when I bought it. You know it's to loud when your 91 year old Grandma says it's to loud. Or maybe I'm getting to old. I put it back to stock for now. I just don't want to buy a slip on if it's going to be loud and not going to give me a noticable power difference.

lester985
01-21-2010, 06:27 PM
if you dont have alot of motor mods just with the stock or get a power tip

HY400EX
01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by lester985
if you dont have alot of motor mods just with the stock or get a power tip

No motor mods. The stock muffler that came with the quad, the previous owner modified the stock tip into one of those power tips. So I bought the full stock tip from mechmatt on this site.

sportracer07
01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
What exactly is a power tip, does it change the sound, or is it just for looks.

HY400EX
01-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by sportracer07
What exactly is a power tip, does it change the sound, or is it just for looks.

It is the actual tip with all the guts removed but with the spark arrestor screen still in tack. Yes it does change the sound to a deep rumble. Also it alows more exhaust flow. I have one and it's yours for $25 including shipping if you want it. Here is a picture of it. Let me know. You could paypal me our I could send you a paypal request. PM me your email.

lester985
01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
if no mods that tip works fine

coryatver
01-21-2010, 07:24 PM
One of those tips does nothing for the 400ex You can take the whole thing off and run it and it will perform the same

the muffler is chambered so taking off the spark arrestor does't make it more free flowing. You need to drill holes in the chamber walls back in the day people would cut apart the stock muffler and do that and weld it back together

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/images/exh_flow.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/images/mod_exh_flow.gif

lester985
01-21-2010, 07:27 PM
you can take a hole saw with a extension and cut it out

Rkangel7
01-21-2010, 07:41 PM
I have a Lexx. In my experience it is louder than stock, but quieter than most other aftermarket pipes. I would say the Lexx is about the same sound level as a "performance" end cap or stock end cap with the spark arrestor removed. But, the Lexx sounds better (more refined and less like a hollow can) and gives you some performance increase.

HY400EX
01-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Rkangel7
I have a Lexx. In my experience it is louder than stock, but quieter than most other aftermarket pipes. I would say the Lexx is about the same sound level as a "performance" end cap or stock end cap with the spark arrestor removed. But, the Lexx sounds better (more refined and less like a hollow can) and gives you some performance increase.

Thanks for the info. So with your statement
(it gives you some performance increase) do you think it was enough of an increase to be worth the $180? Or should I just stay with the stock muffler and be $180 richer?

killer400ex
01-22-2010, 04:09 PM
it all depends on how you ride and what you plan on dooing with your quad, if your a laid back rider and all you do is putt around on trails then you might as well keep it stock, but if your an aggressive rider like most of us on here you want the performance, but if i were in your spot i would buy the exhaust, if your just going to putt around then it wont be that loud anyway, but if your going to ride it like you stole it its gonna be loud no matter what aftermarket pipe you put on it, and if you plan on doing any more modifications to it then an exhaust should be the first thing on your list to help it breathe better, keep in mind that you will probly have to re-jet after installing it

honda400ex2003
01-22-2010, 04:18 PM
i havent seen any numbers on dBs so i will help you out on the noise. the stock one is 88 dBs and the lexx will be right around 95-96 dBs. I guess if you are not concerned about noise then the exhaust is pretty good for a general increase. otherwise dont worry about it. steve

sc400ex_rider
01-23-2010, 12:20 PM
I drilled about 10 1/4" holes in mine to muffle the sound but still relieve the back pressure. it worked great and i could feel the difference. if you look at any dyno charts a lot of the pipes are only picking up 1 HP but picking up 4-5 ft/lb of midrange torque. these pipes are corked up from the factory. so try it, plus its free. if you dont like it buy the lexx......

dankbud42o
02-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I like my Lexx except for the fact it wiggles like a *****...idk why but i gotta keep remounting it to get a snug fit then the thing ends up wiggling and squeeking after a few rides...very annoying. bought new subber mounting bushings to see if thatll solve the issue but havnt installed em yet.

HY400EX
02-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
One of those tips does nothing for the 400ex You can take the whole thing off and run it and it will perform the same

the muffler is chambered so taking off the spark arrestor does't make it more free flowing. You need to drill holes in the chamber walls back in the day people would cut apart the stock muffler and do that and weld it back together

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/images/exh_flow.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/images/mod_exh_flow.gif

By drilling the holes and adding a high flow exhaust tip do you need to rejet the carb? I have a 148 main in it now and my stock air box lid is on.

2001warriorman
02-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Alright something no one mentioned is the white bro E series. It one the pipe shoot out for the 400ex a while ago and you can inserts disks that change your power characteristics and Db's. Honestly I had good luck with a super trap ids2 on my warrior. It is adjustable but is a larger diameter with a larger end so in my opinion would flow better and is adjustable with the disks as well. For the money it was a great pipe and not terribly loud even with 7 disks in it the more the louder and it holds like 12 or so if i remember right? If you do get the slip on put a good quality filter in it to it will also boost your power and instead of rejetting once again just do it all at once. Let us know what you choose to do!