PDA

View Full Version : stuck between 2 quads to buy any help

xtrememxrider
01-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Well I haven't rode since 03. Looking to get a quad next week. I'm looking at 2 right now and can't decide which one to get. One is a 426 hybrid with a 440 national built motor all aftermarket everything. I never owned a hybrid and don't know much about them except for back in 03 I really wanted one. Is there problems with hybrids or anything to look for.

The second quad is an 05 yfz 450 with an athens 480 kit. semi aftermarket parts like suspension tires rims stem stablizer not to much. I'm not a yamaha fan but its a nice quad. Quad supposeably has a bad hesitation from idle to wide open throtle. I was told its common on these quads is that true.

This almost feels completly new to me with all the different options today. If it was you buying what whould you go for. What's the pros and cons. Id really appriciate any info.

yamahopper
01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Do you know what kind of frame the hybrid has (aftermarket or a stock 250r/400ex)?

What frame is it based off of?

What kind of national motor (who built it)?

Do you do more of trails or mx?

And to answer you question on the hesitation i believe if you get what is called a boyesen quickshot (little plate that goes on the bottom of the carb) that SHOULD fix your problem. Atleast it did when i owned a yfz. I think they run about 80 dollars.

kodymx13
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
hybrid, hybrid, hybrid, HYBRID!!!

xtrememxrider
01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
The hybrid has a lonestar 400ex frame from what I know of. Its actually for sale under the forsale area on this site. Its a really nice from what I. Can see my only problem is that its 500 miles from me and wanna know what id be getting into befor id drive that far. The yfz is only 30 miles from me and both quads are pretty much same price. I donrt know who made the national motor

extremetrucker
01-21-2010, 12:55 PM
AP mod will clean up that hesitation, as far as what to buy, ask youself if you are a good problem solver, when you break a hybrid, sometimes parts are hard to find, or even identify, see if the guy selling the hybrid can list all the oddball parts used to put it together, so you can replace them when necassary, that aside, if it was me, i would definatly take a full aftermarket hybrid over a yfz, in my opinion they handle better and have non restricted motors. plus they are getting more and more unique as everyone just wants to buy their new 450s, bolt chit on, and ride, a hybrid requires a certain amount of skill to keep them alive. and if i remember the the one your talking about i would go for it. but thats me.

xtrememxrider
01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
So from everyone that I've talked to so far said to go with the hybrid. Is there really that much more power difference from the 426 with a 440 kit then the 450 with a 480 kit. I figured they be about the same hp

extremetrucker
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
they probably are pretty close, but that 400ex geometry will handle so much nicer than the yfz imo, plus the hybrid is an aftermarket frame, wont have the crackin issues like the yfz

400exrider69
01-21-2010, 06:09 PM
imo i'd go with the yfz i'd bet you'd like it better after a while

nightmare311
01-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by kodymx13
hybrid, hybrid, hybrid, HYBRID!!!
x2

deathman53
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I'd get the hybrid, I like having something thats different from everybody else. Plus, I like how a 250r handles also.

Jersey450R
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Am i gonna have to be the first one to say neither...I think you'd be better off with a regular 450 of your choice. If i had to say one of the two, the 400ex geo. You can always put another engine in there when that one blows up. :chinese:

xtrememxrider
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Looks like I'm going to buy the yzf or maybe a trx with a lil extras so I could start riding. Looks like I'm going to build my own hybrid the exact way I want it. Its been a hard decision but after reading looking and listening to what everyone had to say about everything its going to be the best thing to do right now. Thanks for all the replys.

kodymx13
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
if you go with the hybrid go trx then. you will regret buying the yfz instantly.