PDA

View Full Version : dirtbike killswitch for start button??

jordan 23
01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
i was wondering if ever body elses works or if its just mine..im sure everyones heard of this taking a dirtbike kill switch and making it the start button for a quad so you can get rid of that big light switch box and all..i checked my battery and its good and my starters good it fired right up before i wired this in. it will start but its very hard to get it to you have to let off the switch just right and its going to ruin my battery and starter and its not so good when your on the gate and your quad wont start so will you all help me out and tell me if thats just what happens when you do this or if theres something i could have wrong. thanks

kfx400rider03
01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
i have done this on my ltr and used a rm250 switch and never had a problem with anything. are you sure is not hard to start because there is no choke lever up the now to turn the choke on or off?

jordan 23
01-20-2010, 09:31 PM
well thats what i thought but i bought a choke to put on the carbrator just like a pull choke and it still has a hard time starting but i dont know what kind of kill button i used do u think it makes a diffrence if i used a suzuki one

kfx400rider03
01-20-2010, 09:38 PM
maybe your switch is a little difrent in side isnt getting a good connection. check where u wired it in. did u use wire crymps of soder or just twist the wires together and tape them.(thats what i did.) and if that doesnt help just try a new switch. mine was only 9.99 from rockymountain.com

jordan 23
01-21-2010, 05:57 AM
i just looked at it and ill probably order it bc i was looking and my wires look like to little and the ones one there are alot bigger so that could be my problem the wires not heavy enought

duffman1483
01-21-2010, 07:33 AM
If it's a CR style kill switch you need to put electrical tape around your handlebar and then mount it, people have ground troubles with that style. I used a yz and it grounds different so you don't need the electrical tape with that style.

kfx400rider03
01-21-2010, 10:12 AM
yeah some switches ground out to the bars on a Dirtbike to kill the engine.
i would just buy the rm250 switch i didnt have any trouble with mine at all.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/vehicleSelectProd.do?prevVehicleType=2&prevMake=7&prevModel=211&keyword=KILL+SWITCH&vehicleTypeId=2&make=7&model=211&applyFilter=Change+Vehicle&year=2008&navTitle=Electrical&navType=type&webCatId=20&webTypeId=78&prodFamilyId=9314&stockId=&listingId=&uri=%2FproductDetail.do#vehicleSelect

BakerRacing40
01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
this is the one i have.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/192/12728/ITEM/Fly-Racing-Billet-Kill-Switch.aspx

cost is a little more but quality is first class. when you wire the button in make sure you use quality butt connectors. don't use those little pinch splice things, they are junk and cause all kinds of issues. depending on how you stock kill switch was, normally open or closed, make sure your connection is good there and all the wires are protected well.