PDA

View Full Version : Rod Problems?

fx4pitrone
01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
I have heard that KFX's have major problems w/ the rod (from a race shop that build them), but have not heard any of that on here?? Has anyone had problems w/ their stock rod grenading their motor? The shop guy said that they might last 40 hours on most if lucky... just want to hear from others... thanks guys!

jigg14
01-20-2010, 07:29 PM
That's usually if you're using a high compression piston. You can replace it with a Carillo and it will hold up fine.

CTmxyfz
01-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Full year so far on my carillo rod and it sees plenty of rev limiting..

invest in Carillo

orang_kawa
01-21-2010, 06:30 AM
my stock rod exploded on me but i had motor work done i would invest in a aftermarket rod for sure but stock motor the rod has lasted me for over a year

DEVINF450R
01-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I sent my entire crank off to Falicon and had them replace the needle bearings with roller bearings (more dependable) and had a Falicon Knife Rod installed. they balanced and blueprinted it and I believe shaved some weight off of it. Its not in the bike yet but I will let you guys know. Falicon has quality second to none, so I hope its good. the ballanced crank is supposed to eliminate alot of motor vibration

CTmxyfz
02-19-2010, 05:20 AM
I heard walsh used to run falicon in gibsons bike and they were breaking as well. Carillo here without any probs

miles Machine
02-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Yup that is true in high comp hard run motors a falicon will even fail carillo is the best rod for this bike

blingman09
02-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I thought walsh ran carillo also, i know my kawi is there an they recommended it.

miles Machine
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
they used to run falicon tho but now they run carillo

MtnEX
03-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Nothing really seems to be a problem with this engine, so long as you don't take and already high performance build and go way extreme.

The compression is already very high if you take a minute to really consider it.

Jumping up to 13:1 and higher is actually pretty extreme if you take a minute to consider it.

That's bottom end killing compression really. So broken stock bottom end problems really would not be a real surprise.... or be considered a "problem"... expected is probably a better term.

If you are going to go nuts like that, you should expect to have to upgrade the bottom end. The two should just go together.

DEVINF450R
03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Honda's can run 15:1 on the stock crank no prob... over a 100hrs on the the Titan Motorworks Honda that I was on for the last half of the season, and it was running higher compression than that. Only thing we had to do in that 100hrs was change the piston (preventive) and adjust valves

miles Machine
03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
yeaa but were not talking about the honda rod ....the honda OEM rods are really good stock like you had mentioned but the kawi's suck

DEVINF450R
03-01-2010, 12:51 PM
OH i WAS MAKING A POINT TO MtNeX OR WHOEVER....YEAH I UPGRADED TO A FULL FALICON CRANK, I WISH I WOULDA HEARD ABOUT CARILLO FIRST SO WHO KNOWS