PDA

View Full Version : questions about rebuild

coreo5
01-20-2010, 10:21 AM
i recently purchased a 400ex that has a fresh rebuild but lost compression after a couple hours of riding. i got a steal on it. but i tore the head off and found 2 bent exhaust valves. the cam chain tensior was not keeping tension on the cam chain and it jumped time and the piston said hello to the valves. the guy i bought it from said it smoked really bad. so while i head off i looked at the top of the piston and it has a arrow on it and the arrow is pointing towards the intake side. should it be pointed towards the exhaust?

questions.
how does the cam chain tensioner work

which way does the arrow on the piston point. i believe the piston is a namura or something along those lines.

Pipeless416
01-20-2010, 10:24 AM
for your first question, the arrow should be pointing towards the exhaust side. as far as the cam chain tensioner, when you're installing it, use a small screw driver to back it all the way in. hold it like this until it is seated properly and bolted in. release the screw and its set. you never want to install it fully extended.

lester985
01-20-2010, 10:31 AM
pipeless i pmed you about your pipes i would like some thanks

Pipeless416
01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by lester985
pipeless i pmed you about your pipes i would like some thanks

returned.. you can't buy them though :p

coreo5
01-20-2010, 10:40 AM
pipeless thank you... but how often do the cam chain tensioners go out. the guy that rebuilt it had no clue on what he is doing. didnt adjust the cam chain put the piston in backwards and almost positive he has the rings in wrong to.

lester985
01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
they dont go out to often inless u dont know what u are doing its probley still good. pipless do you make the headers to sell

Pipeless416
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by lester985
they dont go out to often inless u dont know what u are doing its probley still good. pipless do you make the headers to sell

nope, sorry.