PDA

View Full Version : Is there a kickstart or what stronger batt?

john willhoite
01-20-2010, 07:55 AM
since we have modified the motor the stock battery just wont start it.

Is there a kickstart kit for this bike?

What battery do you use in a Rage hi comp motor?

Thanks
John W.

rdwdawg
01-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Bump

Hey nice looking quad! You should enter that for the quad of the month somewhere.

sno-x139
01-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi
my motor has held up great.
however as you said they dont start great
a few things that weve found out are keeping a battery tender on it you can leave it on all the time
also make sure all battery teminals are tight
the regulator rectifier has also gone bad as well as many starter relays(order a couple extra)
weve also replaced the starter once

another thing with the rage intake the whole air box was cut out
and the stock battery box is junk
it is fine for a trail quad but when your launching these bikes 100ft through the air they just break right at the bottom.
I highly recomend an aluminum one or atleast reenforcing the i stock one
i have broken these many times and when it breaks the battery falls strait down usually ripping the cdi and starter realay with it.

Im almost positve you cant put a kicker on it ive had the motor apart many times and on the clutch side there is no room for the rachet gear needed

you will also replace clutches more often with this motor as well
as of now the stock setup is the best Ive tried barnnet and the stiffer springs just wear right through the inner hub.
the stock springs will to just not as fast. (keep an extra inner hub and pressure plate with fresh springs and clutch plates in the trailer)

hope this helps
you can also talk to Dee at rage he'll probably say the same thing he told us about the redtifier.

Jake

john willhoite
01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
thanks for the advice I will look into getting clutch parts tomorrow.

Have you or anyone tried a battery with more cranking amps?

sno-x139
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM
no but like i said the battery tender make a pretty good difference
then maybe just for insurance put on like 6 amp charger in between motos

a way to test the starter is to hook it to a battery charger there is a connetion from the battery hook up + there then ground the
- to the frame or something put it on START and see if it will turn the motor over if not then the starter is probably bad.

one idea that we have always done is have a back up bike for your kid to practice on and then if you are at the track and need a part you have whatever you need

Jake

john willhoite
01-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Sno,
Can you tell me what part# I need to order?

manco47
01-22-2010, 07:31 PM
We use the same battery as the yfz 450. Its a tight fit but it has the power to turn it over. You can't use the top hold down cover, but with a small piece of foam on top its snug to the seat. Hope this helps

sno-x139
01-23-2010, 07:30 PM
here

john willhoite
02-11-2010, 01:24 PM
The stock battery absolutely had to be on the charger to start it.

Stuffed a ytz10s battery in the stock box (slight cutting stuff out)

Fires like a champ.

Drawback added 3lbs.

sno-x139
02-11-2010, 06:26 PM
cool just watch that it doesnt break right out the bottom,if the seat doesnt push on the batt and it has room to move it WILL break through the bottom.
I had a custom box made out of aluminum it was finished today
post pics later.

QuadJunkies
02-13-2010, 01:03 PM
CFM makes an aluminum box.

If more people would hound FCI (fuel custom intake) he will make one where aluminum WILL break ... His materials are AWESOME! I would take his over just about anyones.

So do you think there might be a dif. starter that was LARGER to use??
We notice a little trouble starting ours as well, but I know thats due to the compression . I would not reccomend 6 Amp charge .

I wonder if Hinson makes anything ? We too have not had good experience with Barnett in the past and found stock to work better on a dif application .

leager-n-ky
08-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Anyone found anything to work better here. i'm getting ready to find another battery for ours.

mxdad423
12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey John, tried to PM you the info you needed for DC but you mailbox is full, let me know when you get it cleaned out and I will resend the info.

Kevin Smitley

john willhoite
12-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Cleaned out

mxdad423
12-02-2010, 06:53 AM
PM sent to you John......

Keivn Smitley

number12
01-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if a battery from a 300EX has more "cranking power"? I have a battery box from a 300 EX and it looks like it will fit with some air box modifications. The battery is obviosly bigger but I am not sure if that translates to easier cranking with the big bore. The electronic components that are in the battery box would have to be relocated as well.