PDA

View Full Version : has anyone done a HID headlight conversion ?

tri5ron
01-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I've tried searching it a few different ways, but can't seem to find anything on it.
I seem to remember it being asked or mentioned in the past, but have not been able to find any threads talking about it.

SOoooo,....
Has anyone done the HID conversion kits on their 400ex ?
I'm talking about the full conversion kits with the ballasts and xenon HID tubes,
not just a different incadesent bulb change/wattage/etc.

I'm considering trying it out due to the conversion kits are getting so cheap now on ebay, and was wondering if anyone here has already done it?

Here's some examples of what I'm considering...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270507006850&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/HID-Xenon-Conversion-Kit-3K-H1-6000K-H8-H10-H7-H6m-D2S_W0QQitemZ140369699985QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item20aeafa491

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slim-HID-conversion-Kit-H7-H4-9006-6000K-H9-H10-H6m_W0QQitemZ320475878517QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item4a9dd9d475

bkelley
01-19-2010, 11:01 PM
This is something I've been wanting to do for a while as well. The kits are getting too cheap on eBay. I'm almost positive someone here has done it.

nastyrider17
01-20-2010, 05:50 AM
If you do it do you think you could make a tutorial for us or something?

Rscarpantonio
01-20-2010, 07:50 AM
yea if you find anything let us know im willinmg to do it if the price is right :)

bigbad400
01-20-2010, 10:02 AM
how much better are those thow than the ultra blue real expensive bulbs? its not even cool looking into the eyes on mine with those ultra blue bulbs in. i think i paid like $17 a bulb for whatever they are i have. so $35 at least for two. whats the dif?

katch26
01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
the ultra blue is a standard bulb with a blue film that make the light appear white....not actually any brighter. The HID bulb is much brighter and operates completely differently. Standard bulb light a wire HID runs a xenon gas.

The downside is the H6M is not a direct plug and play kit and does require some fabbing.

tri5ron
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
katch26, you mention that some fabbing may be required.
By that, I'm assuming that you have some knowledge or experience doing this conversion ???

If so, what fabbing are you referring to ? is It simply using something like a H4/9003 kit, and trimming the base plates of the bulbs to fit the sockets of the H6m's, in the headlight housing??? (this would not be very difficult, I think) ,...

or is it some other degree of fabrication ??? (possibly to the headlight housing itself ???)

I'm very interested in what you are referring to as "some fabbing required". I think that this could be "Do-able", and if a little fabbing is necessary, I'm fine with that.

I've been doing some research on this. I have found what appears to be a direct plug'n'play kit, but a little more expensive.
(but they also claim to be German made, as opposed to Chinese made)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H6m-ATV-HID-Conversion-Kit-Fits-ATVs-Off-Road-6000K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53d9d45a75QQitemZ 360136858229QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc cessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YFZ450-Raptor-700-660-TRX-400-450r-HID-Kit-Light_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230326c0cfQQitemZ 150376726735QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

so far, the questions that I am trying to answer are,
1- which kits are both Hi/Low kits, (known as Bi-Xenon HID)

2- of those kits, there is still some uncertainty as to power consumption being 2x 35w, or 2x 55w. (at 2x 55w, this could create a problem for the stock OEM stators), and therefore may require a stator upgrade also,..... more $$$ = ouch!

3- So this starts to raise the question if it is really worth it to do this mod, OR,... would it be better to just go with a single beam to save some $$$.

here's some other info I have found surfing the web, that is a comparison of HID vs. Incandesent Halogen/Xenon bulbs....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1771460/

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-blue.html

katch26
01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
the 400 uses 2 lo beams for the low and high so you would need one set to operate the same as stock. you have to use the oem bulb plug.....I havent done it but this same discussion came up about the baja lights

katch26
01-20-2010, 02:51 PM
here ya go
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/myfiles/image/ATV/HID1ATV.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/installation_guide&usg=__BUxtHJT-HBUTxan8EHNUrdGIH0Q=&h=442&w=589&sz=42&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=uK3ZAmI_3I3eHM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dh6m%2Bbulb%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D 1

CJM
01-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I have used several of these kits on my cars and many friends vehicles. They stand behind their stuff and the kits work really well. I wouldnt use any other brand.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=101&parent=85

Rscarpantonio
01-20-2010, 06:34 PM
im not sure where i read this at but i rember reading that if you do put the hid's in it kinda looks crapy becasue the housing cannot focus the light very well and it appears distorted

Miami_Vice454
01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
two of my friends have it, one on a 450r and one on a 700xx and they both came out pretty good. they had to bore out the back of the headlight so it would fit then they just screwed it in and put silicon around to seal it. it looks good and the light is SOOOOOOOOO bright its ridiculously bright. go for it and from my past experiences on this forum hearing your ideas i think they will come out really nice, you will like them.

CJM
01-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Personally speaking I am gonna modify a set of hella 500FF lights and put them on a mount on the handlebar if possible. Then I have the choice of regular lights or HID.

The hella 500FF (free form) works really well b/c the lights have a special reflector inside that throws a good bit and they are cheap and easy to modify. The housings on the EX are just to small imho for an HID kit to be worth it.

bigbad400
01-21-2010, 09:56 AM
iguess im still not getting it. can you see with your lights now? why change them? i cant justify spending that much on a kit thats only 30% brighter than ultra blues. just mount up a set of good quality fog lights for half the price double the light and way less work. if you have your stock lights with ultra blue bulbs and a set of fog lights in your bumper or something i dont believe the HIDs with that much BS with em can be any better.

i didnt have much problem with the stocks. the ulta blue bulbs are way better thow.

those hella 500ff lights sound ok but with stator upgrade to be able to run them your looking at alot of money for some lights.

do you guys ride that much at night you need to spend a bill on some lights?

Rscarpantonio
01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
arent those blue bulbs jsut halagons with a peice of blue tint over them to make the light appear white? if not then what are the bulb types and sizes and where do you get them at? the "cool blue" bulbs put out the same amount of light but are just a diffrent color

CJM
01-21-2010, 11:18 AM
They arent 30% brighter, they are like a zillion times brighter and throw ALOT farther. the kit I linked draws 6 amps when turned on then 3.4 amps when running, thats nothing.

The hella 500FF lights will need nothing much to run if you run 35w or even 55w HID lights. They require less juice than the factory lights in the end.

I have a set I converted on my pick up, I had factory hella 700FF (larger than a 500FF) with 100W bulbs in there, I hanged to HID and it isnt even comparable.

hell, you only need 1 light if you do the HID route, 2 is just overkill.

Obviously you may not be able to run both sets of lights when at idle. 400ex stator puts out 147 watts iirc and you already have your stocks which iirc are 35w so thats already 70w, HID (using 1) will only bring you up to 125 w/a 5w or 105 w/a 35w. 35w is really all ya need tbh int he HID, but a 55w wouldbe fun.

Then factory in charging the battery and running a tail light (why bother I dont even know these days with tail) and you have another 20-30w, that leaves with with oh 125-155w depending on what you have done. Like i said 35w HID is fine. Dont forget your also supposed to (imho) seperate the light sets, why would you even need the stockers after the HID kit is beyond me really.

tri5ron
01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Well, I have been researching the crap out of this, and unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of positive findings to report.

I have been to various reliable sources, including Philips Lighting, Osram/Sylvania lighting, and a few different forums where this subject has been covered extensively.

for the most part, it seems these cheap plug/n/play kits are junk. They generally draw more power than they claim, as well as produce less EFFECTIVE, and USEABLE, light.
Also, in reguards to the H6m bulb, the only ones available are a single beam bulb only, and as a result, if you were to install them, you would lose your high beam function.

The best I can determine so far is,
IF you were to do this mod,...
and IF you are willing to give up your high beam function,...
and provided you use a 4100k to a 5000k bulb(MAX.),...
then you MIGHT gain some lumens over the stock halogen bulbs, with the 35 watt ballast's.

now with that being said, It apparently also holds true that if you were to go to the 50/55 watt ballasts, the light output, (lumens) would be significantly greater than the oem 35 watt bulbs.
Duh!
But this brings back the issue of the stator not having enough power to drive two 50/55 watt ballasts, and would result in the battery being drained while running the higher wattage ballasts/bulbs.

Hence, this would require the stator being upgraded to a higher output, and naturally a higher cost.

so in conclusion, if you were to go to the expense of upgrading your stator, and you want to obtain more light output, then you might as well just go with something like a BajaDesigns, or Trail Tech system.

here's a couple of links to some other forums I found where this has been discussed...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-725400.html

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/400304-truth-about-hid-kits-very-good-read.html

if anybody has any proven or verifiable info,
on a cheap way to get more light output,
using the oem light housings,...
I'm all ears.

CJM
01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
I have that brand I linked (ddm tuning) on 10 different cars, 1 failure and they replaced it free of charge.

Like I said tho, putting the HID kit into the small 400ex housings is POINTLESS b/c its way to small a housing to properly reflect.

Those hellas I mentioned are only 6 inches big, thats nothing really. You could even get some smaller lights-but the reason that specific light works is the reflector inside isnt your typical reflector-it shines much more true and does deflect light like crazy.

A 35W kit will be easily as bright as 100w bulbs or more in my experience on cars. Once you mount one or two of these things you wont even need your stock lights ever again.

I guess ill just have to do this mod and prove they work fine since everyone seems to worried they will draw to much juice.

tri5ron
01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
CJM, please do not think that I am trying to call anyone out here. I am not.
I started this thread first to ask if anyone had already tried doing this, and second what their results were.

I, in no way, was, or am, intending to use this thread as a means to discredit anyone.

I have done quite a few hours of digging through the web, on various forums, manufacturers websites, and on tech related unbiased FAQ's reguarding the truth and myths related to the popular Plug/n/play kits.
I will continue to research this subject, in the intrest of finding an applicable kit, that will truely provide more light, for the same or less power, in the stock OEM headlight housings.

As that research develops, I will also post any new, credible findings.

I honestly do appreciate your input, and welcome any info and/or experiences that you, or anyone has on this subject.
That's why i asked the question in the first place.

I do have an intrest in why you feel the OEM housings are too small to properly reflect the light from a HID bulb, yet Honda felt them to be adequate for a incandesent bulb.
what is the basis for this ?

Originally posted by CJM
putting the HID kit into the small 400ex housings is POINTLESS b/c its way to small a housing to properly reflect.

It is my impression that the physical size and dimensions of the HID bulb is quite similar to the OEM halogen bulbs. therefore, they also sit within the OEM housing, in about the same position as the OEM halogen bulbs.
and since both the HID bulbs, and the OEM bulbs both emit light in a similar direction, shouldn't that light be reflected in a similar manner from the same reflective housing?

Maybe I'm missing something here, and am not considering a pertainent factor?

It is also my impression that many of the headlight housings used in modern automotive applications, are very small in physical size, and in some cases they are even smaller than the headlight housings on our quads.
I understand that some of those smaller automotive housings are using a projector lens in conjunction with a small housing, but not all of the small automotive housings are a projector type.

so how is it that they can reflect the HID's light, but the 400ex housings are too small?
I guess I'm just a little confused here, and need some clarification.

I'd welcome seeing a set installed and hearing what the results are. some comparative before and after pics would be great also.

Thanks,
Ron

CJM
01-21-2010, 07:57 PM
No worries at all Ron. I dont have any issues with ya :)

I feel the housings are to small and they will not properly reflect imho. They also imho will not have enough depth b/c they are quite shallow.

The reason I keep mentioning those hella 500FF lights is b/c they have a different, almost stepped reflector and so far in all the cars I put them on they have performed awesomely. It works much differently than a smooth reflector. May also have to buy the kit which can do both hi/lo beam and that means more fun and such.

I am not saying they wont work, but imho wiring in a completely different set of lights give you more options.

You could try doing it, got nothing much to lose.

vaget22
01-21-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm all ears. [/B][/QUOTE]

I started a thread called A different angle on brighter lights you might want to concider. It works.

tri5ron
01-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by vaget22
I'm all ears.

I started a thread called A different angle on brighter lights you might want to concider. It works.

Yes I have seen your other thread. I was who asked if you had taken any voltage or resistance readings.

I do intend to test your suggestion by disconnecting one of the bulbs from the factory harness, and running a direct hot wire from the battery to that headlight bulb, and turning on the other bulb through the oem wiring.

do you think this would be a fair comparison test, between the two bulbs side by side, using your idea?
or any suggestions?

vaget22
01-21-2010, 09:57 PM
If you hook the bulb directly to the battery it should appear brighter. Keep in mind that when you do this test to do it both ways with the motor off. The battery by itself should have about 12.5 + or - volts. When the motor is running and up to speed the alternator should be putting out 14.5 + or - volts. Apples to apples kind of thing. If you want to see the full effect and your kind of brave (please put a fuse in there somewhere) do it with the motor running and bring the rps up a bit to get the alternator putting the full juice out and make sure you get good solid contacts. Let me know what you find.

riotact
01-22-2010, 01:51 PM
In case you didnt see these ones on Ebay yet,they are the Pro Armor Hid conversion for the 400ex.I know its $270:eek2: but it may give you some more ideas on which way to go.

Item#390146622635 (Every time I post a link it does'nt work so here is the item number)

katch26
01-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by riotact
In case you didnt see these ones on Ebay yet,they are the Pro Armor Hid conversion for the 400ex.I know its $270:eek2: but it may give you some more ideas on which way to go.

Item#390146622635 (Every time I post a link it does'nt work so here is the item number)

damn thats 3 sets anywhere else

Dubs_Tech
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Im running 9006 HIDs on my bike. All i did was modify the bulb retainers to hold the HID bulbs in, then made a bracket to hold both ballasts under the front fenders. I ride alot at night at the dunes so light output is important. Im using a 6k bulb temp, just type in 9006 HID on ebay, i got my kit for $38 shipped with a one year warranty. Thats right i said only $38 and ive had them in for a couple of months now with no problems. They only use 35watts each so your still ok with the factory stator.

vaget22
01-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Curious, where are you drawing the power from? If its from the stock wiring up front you might get even better performance from your HIDs if you run a sepperate hot from the battery. Just a thought.

tri5ron
01-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Dubs_Tech
Im running 9006 HIDs on my bike. All i did was modify the bulb retainers to hold the HID bulbs in, then made a bracket to hold both ballasts under the front fenders. I ride alot at night at the dunes so light output is important. Im using a 6k bulb temp, just type in 9006 HID on ebay, i got my kit for $38 shipped with a one year warranty. Thats right i said only $38 and ive had them in for a couple of months now with no problems. They only use 35watts each so your still ok with the factory stator. I just started considering this the other day.
I have some aftermarket headlight housings for my truck, sitting on the shelf in the garage.
I am going to see if I can get the bulb retainers/mounts, from the truck lights, to fit into the back of the headlight assembly for my quad.
I'm glad somebody else has tried this, and it has worked well.

Can you post up some pics of how you were able to get the 9006 holders to fit into the quad's headlight housing?

Dubs_Tech
01-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Curious, where are you drawing the power from? If its from the stock wiring up front you might get even better performance from your HIDs if you run a sepperate hot from the battery. Just a thought.

No the kit comes with an addition relay kit. I dont feel using the factory wiring would be good enough to the bulbs initial power up. The kit uses a relay directly from the battery, then you just splice into the factory harness for signal activation of the relay. It works perfect, there was no way i was going to spend $380 on something i would get for an 1/8 of the cost.

ballerchaos
09-05-2010, 05:11 PM
its been done, look at the how to in my sig, it has everythign, i found HID kits with these new ballast the size of d batteries for as little as 35 shipped

Dubs_Tech
09-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Holy back from the dead batman....

lillbro11
09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
i got tired of reading and I have done this mod sorry if this was already stated. on ebay look up h6m hid they are around 45 with free shipping and get the ones with digital ballasts. a little wire cutting and splicing is needed but the bulbs fit into the housing perfectly

H400DAN2004
10-17-2010, 08:42 PM
so in the end. what HID kit do we need that the bulbs require no modding to fit the stock 04 headlight housings.

i dont care if i have to upgrade the stator but i want a 10k bulb. but i see these kits on EBay for 30 to 50 bucks ''slim'' and i see a few online stores selling ''slim'' kits for 150.00

whats the difference???

tri5ron
10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by H400DAN2004
so in the end. what HID kit do we need that the bulbs require no modding to fit the stock 04 headlight housings.

i dont care if i have to upgrade the stator but i want a 10k bulb. but i see these kits on EBay for 30 to 50 bucks ''slim'' and i see a few online stores selling ''slim'' kits for 150.00

whats the difference???
your question, (as well as my original question), have been answered in this thread,...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=449531

vaget22
10-17-2010, 09:41 PM

whats the difference???

When you order the HIDs you need to get the H6M bulbs. H6M is the stock type bulbs and they will drop right in. With the stock setup there is a round metal base that holds the bulb in. These have the power going to the bulbs run to them. You will need to cut the wires to them and use them to power the HID ballasts. I think this makes sense. At this point I would recomend you use a relay switch to run the main power to the ballasts and use the original headlamp wires to trigger the relay. Basically you just need to get the power to the ballasts. The HID bulbs are prewired to just plug into the ballasts. As far as the difference between the normal size and slim ballasts is just size. They will work the same just look a bit different. Unless you are running a bunch of other electrical stuff you can run the stock stator with no problem. The HIDs do draw more current for the first 30 seconds or so but the power draw drops back down to what the stock bulbs use. That is unless you go with 55watt ballasts. Those might be pushing things a bit. And what tri5ron said above.

dr qwerty
10-17-2010, 11:06 PM
BUY FROM DDMTUNNING 50 bucks lifetime warrenty, like probably said before if you soder your self do a clean job if it cause's arch it can burn your bulbs before you get a chance to run em'. Also 35watt is plenty dont get brave and try 55watt and run the chance of melting your housing unit. 35watt lands hilo's why land jumbo jets....Also relys are good but no a mandotary item. I hope this helps, they are worth the money if you night ride,

H400DAN2004
10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
ok i am on DDM'S SITE. i see what i need but i am wondering if i shoul get the 35w or 55w. i could care less about upgrading the stator. i want something very bright. my main concern is will the 55W's melt my head light housings?????

CJM
10-18-2010, 07:01 PM
You dont need 55w, 35w is liek 10x or better brighter than stock anyways. 55w will not work right cause the stator on startup and it will melt the housings cause its to hot.

H400DAN2004
10-18-2010, 07:13 PM
ok so i need

35w
H6M
10k ''i want 10k like my car''

do i need to add anything else?

i see a few other options. harness and error stuff. lol
thanks for your guys help

CJM
10-18-2010, 08:08 PM
i would go closer to 6k, its a whiter light and actually useful than the 10k

H400DAN2004
10-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by CJM
i would go closer to 6k, its a whiter light and actually useful than the 10k

yea i have 10k in my car. also pointless but seeing my car is yellow and my quad is yellow i figured what the hell. haha.

im sure the 10k is still brighter then the stock bulbs. so thats good enough for me.

vaget22
10-18-2010, 08:12 PM
ok so i need

35w
H6M
10k ''i want 10k like my car''

do i need to add anything else?

i see a few other options. harness and error stuff. lol
thanks for your guys help

Sounds good to me. The 35 watt kit with H6M bulbs is the ticket. One other note. As you go higher in the temp range on the bulbs the actual light output goes down slightly. The brightest is supposed to be 5K to 6K. Above that the lumens will be slightly less but still way brighter than stock. I doubt it will make that much difference with the 10K. Above 10K and they will start to turn purple. I used the 6K and they were white with a blue tint and blinding bright. The 10K will be more blue and still super bright. Either way you go you will be happy with the lights.

H400DAN2004
10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Sounds good to me. The 35 watt kit with H6M bulbs is the ticket. One other note. As you go higher in the temp range on the bulbs the actual light output goes down slightly. The brightest is supposed to be 5K to 6K. Above that the lumens will be slightly less but still way brighter than stock. I doubt it will make that much difference with the 10K. Above 10K and they will start to turn purple. I used the 6K and they were white with a blue tint and blinding bright. The 10K will be more blue and still super bright. Either way you go you will be happy with the lights.

thank you sir.

my order is placed.

vaget22
10-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Not a problem. If you run into any issues with the install post up here and we will help you out.

H400DAN2004
10-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Not a problem. If you run into any issues with the install post up here and we will help you out.

thanks man. i will post up my results and pics when i am finished.

dr qwerty
10-18-2010, 09:50 PM
There is a exact wire diagram on club700xx form the diagram is the same as our 400exs except our is "upside down" to the 700xx or vise versa. I hope you went with either 5-6k for usable light if you want looks and not visable light 10k would be all show no go....
Yes dont regret no 55wattt it would cause more harm then good, 35watt will land a c130
Pretty easy set up and i would google where to hide the damn ballist, i am thinking under the hood.

Good luck and take pics

hack
10-20-2010, 09:36 AM
that was the first thing i did when i got my 400ex. if you can i'd go with 4300k kit since that puts out the most visible light.

Racerjames
10-20-2010, 09:59 AM
3500k will give you a very bright yellow color, excellent for night driving (better contrast) but slightly less range, which won't really apply on a bike. 4300k is the best tradeoff for lumens whilst not being too high in the kelvin range and sapping your overall light output range.
(and 8000k+ get terrible looking output in wet nasty weather

250ex_dan
10-20-2010, 10:09 AM
are these illegal in arizona?

CJM
10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 250ex_dan
are these illegal in arizona?

On an atv, no ones gonna bother you unless of course you decide to ride on the road

In a car, probably.

hack
10-20-2010, 12:20 PM
HIDs in stock housings are illegal(on road vehicle)
and it's sad because that's what 95% people do. looks ricer, and your doing more glare than anything.
the true and right way to do it is to do a retro with some OEM projectors.

but, since you're on a quad, just like CJM said, you should be fine. we ride on the roads alot and have passed cops and had no issues at all.

250ex_dan
10-20-2010, 12:48 PM
will it work on a 250ex?

CJM
10-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by 250ex_dan
will it work on a 250ex?

So long as it has headlights you can modify them to put the HIDs in. The kicker is the older style 250x has a pattern on the headlight lens unlike the newer ones which the pattern is on the reflector.

If it has the pattern on the lens you can make it work but you wont gain much b/c the pattern on the lens will distort the beam like crazy. You need a clear lens for it to work properly.

Alternatively if you get a set of hella 500FF series offroad lights you can modify them to take an h3 hid style bulb and have the same effect. Just gotta mount the light.

250ex_dan
10-20-2010, 04:54 PM
so inother words....
the hids wont work well because of the lense?
and the hella lights will?
am i right?
anyone have pics of there quads/ect with hids out there?

CJM
10-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Yes, the pattern on the lens will distort the light to much.

But putting the hella light on will work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8t51nq5FmU

This is what output looks like when you use lens with patternhttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll19/elblako91/110_0569.jpg

I hear the new latch style is a bit different so you will need to use some hard wire or something to make the latch yourself.

You must also use 500FF lights, or Free Form, this has the lens pattern on the reflector as I mentioned earlier.

Racerjames
10-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Just in case someone feels brave:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260469263571&crlp=1_263602_304642&ff4=263602_304642&viewitem=&guid=535b709212a0a06c1b71ea91ffabb235&rvr_id=156264865423&ua=%3F*F%3F&itemid=260469263571

I think rsx/tsx projector housings could fit in the cavity where the lenses sit (1st gen 400ex), if not behind the clear plastic of the stock lenses themselves. Might be overkill, but it would be unique, and therefore badass (as well as a super precise cutoff)http://www.rotary13b1.com/images/products/1086_reg.jpg

hack
10-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Racerjames
Just in case someone feels brave:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260469263571&crlp=1_263602_304642&ff4=263602_304642&viewitem=&guid=535b709212a0a06c1b71ea91ffabb235&rvr_id=156264865423&ua=%3F*F%3F&itemid=260469263571

I think rsx/tsx projector housings could fit in the cavity where the lenses sit (1st gen 400ex), if not behind the clear plastic of the stock lenses themselves. Might be overkill, but it would be unique, and therefore badass (as well as a super precise cutoff)

bad idea. with me doing retros to every vehicle i owned, i considered this when i got my quad. very bad idea. while riding at night, the cut off would constantly be bouncing around. you'd pretty much lose the whole purpose of projectors. not to mention the first time you jump and don't do a perfect landing you will likely break something.
on top of all that, our headlight housings aren't strong enough to hold up to them.

H400DAN2004
10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
still have not got my HID's in the mail yet. i am hoping within a few days. when i call no one picks up so i guess i have to wait.

dsm_racing
10-26-2010, 06:51 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=449531

dr qwerty
10-26-2010, 08:02 PM
still have not got my HID's in the mail yet. i am hoping within a few days. when i call no one picks up so i guess i have to wait.

They should come, probably busy it is desert season here in So Cal so everyone is getting ready for it....Including my self =)

H400DAN2004
11-06-2010, 12:10 AM
the HID kit. showed up. gonna install it this week and snap some pics.

H400DAN2004
11-13-2010, 07:11 AM
ok my HID's are installed and i took it for a test drive. WOW its awesome. what a great mod. i will try to get up some pics. so much brighter then factory