PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if a frame is paint or powder

bullet225ho
01-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey folks. Whats the best way to determin if a frame has been painted or powder coated?

Thanks

bullet225ho
01-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Ok, I've been cleaning this frame a bit and I have assumed that it was powder coated. I just got to the bottom and laid it on its side and the very bottom of the fram and just a touch up on the sides where the skid plate is is flat????

Powder coat will be shiny all over right? Or is there a way to do a flat/dull powder?

250rPRIDE
01-19-2010, 04:10 PM
powder will fade..for sure!! i had it fade faster than paint and the last 2 powder jobs i got done i wasnt happy. its not durable, like they say. on my current build i went with really good epoxy primer, 3 coats, and a red base, and clearcoat topper with 3 coats of clear, it shines better than powder ever could and it will be just as tuff. just wax it now and then and keep it clean..

bullet225ho
01-19-2010, 04:25 PM
it's not faded, it's flat. like there's no clear. So maybe this is paint. The only places that the finish is worn off is basically at the A-Arm bolts, shock resi mount, rear break resi, chain guard, and gas tank bolts. Everything else is still good.

250rPRIDE
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
ha ya same differance.. yes powder does go flat, no shine, you can buff it or try wax or rubbing compound if you dont know how to buff, and powder doesnt get cleared its a single stage process.

diablo14
01-19-2010, 07:19 PM
ok not trying to start anything but as a powder coater most of what is in this thread isnt true.... first powder if done right is way more durable then paint!!! second powder is not always a one stage process. all candy colors chrome colors and many metalics are all two stage, not to mention you can clear coat any color for added shine!!!! most people just dont want to pat the extra money! Powder also comes in thousands of colors which go from flat to very high gloss. there really isnt a way to tell if it is paint or powder w/o seeing it or trying to strip it powder is a huge pain to blast off if it is even descent powder!!!... not try to start anything just my experience as a coater!!!

danhung11
01-19-2010, 07:48 PM
diablo said it right, powder is very tough stuff if done correctly, more durable than paint for sure. Powdercoat has to cure at a certain temperature for at least 10 minutes. My coater brings his oven to 385-390 degrees F for 10 minutes, then it's baked. Powdercoat is almost like gel and can go up to 3-4 mils thick, at times. Some powdercoating will bubble if there is grease or dirt, so look for those signs. Also, look in corners where an electric charge could affect if powder stays in corners. Sometimes coaters who are less experienced are unable to get into tight corners with the same thickness. Paint, well it's paint and you can see thick and thin areas. I prefer powdercoating. Also, look for plug marks vs. masking strips, hanging marks where the piece has been wired tied to a bigger rack. Lastly, I've never seen powdercoat flake off so that's a sign as well. Also, look for oil marks where all oil or grease was not removed and created grease marks when coated since it was heated and the grease liquified.

You can tell by the pictures I linked how powdercoating is applied. It's before and after to give you an idea of the process. I hope this helps.

BEFORE:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/Frame-1.jpg

AFTER:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/000_1834.jpg