PDA

View Full Version : Dual rate or single rate rear for XC

troybilt
01-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Well I'm trying to figure out what to do for the rear shock to compliment my floats on the front.

I've heard 2 different things, some say dual rate is better that single rate springs, but lately I see many have forgone the dual rates and opted for singles in the rear these days. Back in the 90's everyone was going for more & more springs rates, dual, triple and even quad rates on the front.

So which is better? Am I getting confused with MX and XC setups? I've never built, considered or even thought about building an XC bike before, so any help in the area of setup would be appreciated.

For builders, (planning on sending my rear shock off), I know of GT Thunder, C&D Racing, PEP, Derisi, any others? What is the typical cost to rebuild a rear shock?

Should I look at buying a rear shock instead of rebuilding mine?

Honda 250r 001
01-19-2010, 10:15 AM
I think triple rate for the front and dual rate for the rear is a good set up. i would think that the lower center of gravity would be better for a xc quad since its so narrow...

skyeryder
01-19-2010, 10:27 AM
I used to always run duals on my R's back in the GNCC days, I always liked alot of sag,but here lately with what these guys can do with shocks I've been very happy with my single spring set-up but it's on a 450(rear link helps a bunch). Depending on what level of rider you are I think is what would make me decide on shock, if your a B or C rider GT Thunder or Derisi can do wonders with a stock shock, if your a A rider I'd probably have one built to compliment your Fox fronts just my .02

Also check out some old GNCC pics, it always seemed Ballance and the other pros ran lots of sag.

250Renvy
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Here are some things to consider:

Unless you buy new your choices for a stock linkage rear shock are limited to the following:

P.E.P. - Majority are single rate (I've never seen a dual rate)

Custom Axis - I've never seen a dual rate

Elka - Most are dual rate

Ohlins - I've never seen a dual rate.

OEM - I've never seen a dual rate

So if you go with used, there is a good chance you won't find a dual rate shock and thus would need it converted.

You should call up Fox racing and see if they are able to build you a rear shock. It would be nice to have matching front and rear.

Most no link and CR500 link shocks are longer and are often dual rate or even triple rate. I had a triple rate elka cr500 link shock.

skyeryder
01-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Axis had/has a dual rate, I've had a couple and been very pleased, make sure you get fully adj.

Derrick Adams
01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
PEP also has a dual rate for the rear with stock linkage. I doubt you can do a dual rate set-up with a stock shock though. At least i've never seen one.

troybilt
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by TL250R
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=424660

Not sure if its what you are looking for, if it will fit your bike or how much he wants... lol

I bought the fox floats from him. Good dude. Would need to check the length. I'm not sure on the compatibility of the 450r rear shock on a 250r stock linkage setup...

skyeryder
01-20-2010, 07:25 PM
you can dual rate a stock 400 or 450r rear so I don't see why not on a stock rear 250r shock

RyanWsly
01-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Race Tech has Dual Rate rears and usually have local dealers. Then there is these guys, check out who's testing their bike in a local races.
http://www.jet-motorsports.com/index.html
kinda makes you wonder considering what is available to him.