PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Per vS. aluminum

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 10:41 PM
any comments on hi-per carbon fiber wheels vs. aluminum beadlocks of the same size? weight vs. weight?

HAYESTRX250R
01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm interested to see input. I think Hipers are heavy as can be. It is a shame because I think a set on the rear with OMF scallops on the front would look sick.:blah:

extremetrucker
01-19-2010, 01:29 AM
depends on what aluminum wheelyour comparing to, they are slightly lighter than your average beadlock, but if all your going for is weight savings, they dont quite live up to the "hipe" lol yes, pun intended:p however, aluminum bends, i cant even remember how many aluminum wheels i trashed, it was plenty, bought a set of hipers in 04 and they are still on my quad, i love them, and cost allowing, i'd never run anything else. great wheels. as im typing this im kinda reminding myself that hiper offers some single and non beadlocks now, im sure they would be pretty light compared to their aluminum counterpart. my opinion, if you can afford them, get them, you wont look back

jcs003
01-19-2010, 02:13 AM
plenty of people break carbon fiber wheels. i think they are called DWT or something along those lines that are said to be stronger and lighter than standard aluminum and hiper wheels.

i like stock style rooled edge wheels. they are moderatly durable and if damaged they are cheap to replace.

Honda5
01-19-2010, 04:07 AM
I would buy at least 2 sets of aluminum a year and also started buying hipers in 04 and have yet to break one I have seen 1 or 2 broken ones but they were the inner of a single beadlock. if you do brake one it's free to fix - the shipping. the weight is about the same and I think some aluminum rims are heavier. just my oppinion but pay the price up front and save in the long run.

mohler
01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
have had my tech 3 hipers on for a couple years never had problems, i have been through alot of alum rims tho. go with the hipers

01-19-2010, 08:27 PM
How are you guys bending/breaking beadlock aluminum wheels? I could see bending your standard .190 Douglas Red Label or ITP Pro Series wheels. Those don't stand a chance with any serious racing/riding. But bending beadlocks?

deathman53
01-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I have a set of rear beadlocks that are slightly bent. I have also cracked a hiper front. I've bent plenty of regular aluminum rims. The hiper failures I had were mostly user error, loose lug nuts, over-tightening beadlock and cracked rings. The front that was cracked was in use since 01 or 02.

extremetrucker
01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by 8686
How are you guys bending/breaking beadlock aluminum wheels? I could see bending your standard .190 Douglas Red Label or ITP Pro Series wheels. Those don't stand a chance with any serious racing/riding. But bending beadlocks?

the beadlock ring takes care of the outside of the wheel, but i always bent the chit out of the centers, i even had one of my old champion beadlocks start cracking the center out of it. never had any problems with my hipers, except mine are the older ones with the integral hub and didnt fit my splines worth a chit, but after they got wore in now they are good. also i think those of us that have problems with aluminum may be more abusive than some of us, riding smooth and not hitting everything will help any wheel last