PDA

View Full Version : oil out of vent line?

snacob14
01-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Just had my topend rebuilt and today when I was riding/breaking it in I started seeing some smoke. Looked like it was coming out of the vent line on teh back of the Cylinder? COuld have been coming out of the white T that looks like a crank case vent. Any idea what could cause this?

Scro
01-18-2010, 08:03 PM
That's the transmission breather vent tube. Check to make sure you trans. fluid isn't overfilled.

Rich250RRacer
01-18-2010, 09:00 PM
What year is this quad? The tee fittings are in the the crank side vent hoses not the tranny vent. Looks like yet another 450R with an oiling issue.

snacob14
01-19-2010, 05:18 AM
well, it felt like I put a ton of tranny fluid in the tranny side, but it took forever for it to come out the weep hole. I"ll check tonight and see how much was in there.

BadinBlack
01-19-2010, 11:18 AM
when i had smoke and oil coming out of there it was caused by a blown base gasket... hopefully thats not the case here...

snacob14
01-19-2010, 11:22 AM
i'm thinking I overfilled it. The oil I put in it was sitting out in the garage so it was really cold, I think it just took it longer to make it to the weep hole, and then longer to come out, I'd say it felt like I put a quart and a half inthere

Scro
01-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by snacob14
i'm thinking I overfilled it. The oil I put in it was sitting out in the garage so it was really cold, I think it just took it longer to make it to the weep hole, and then longer to come out, I'd say it felt like I put a quart and a half inthere

Yeah, that's your problem. I fill mine up until oil starts coming out, let it run out as much as it will, then put the bolt back in. Never had a problem.

d3ktrix
01-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I fill my tranny by volume to avoid that problem and having to wait for it leak back out and run onto my skid plate. lol

I have a funnel with CC/ML measurements on it. The bottom of the funnel locks, u fill to desired volume and unlock.
Was $3 at Walmart.

Scro
01-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
I fill my tranny by volume to avoid that problem and having to wait for it leak back out and run onto my skid plate. lol

I have a funnel with CC/ML measurements on it. The bottom of the funnel locks, u fill to desired volume and unlock.
Was $3 at Walmart.

Yeah, that's the ideal way. I just don't want to hassle with tranny drain plug on the 06+, so I just use the neutral sending unit. It will drains about 95% of the oil, so measuring the new oil wouldn't be very accurate.

snacob14
01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Yeah, that's the ideal way. I just don't want to hassle with tranny drain plug on the 06+, so I just use the neutral sending unit. It will drains about 95% of the oil, so measuring the new oil wouldn't be very accurate.

what is this neutral sending unit you speak of?

SHIFTx450
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
The neutral safety switch? Right below the case saver. It has a little black wire with a boot running to it.. I think that's what he's talking about..

Scro
01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by SHIFTx450
The neutral safety switch? Right below the case saver. It has a little black wire with a boot running to it.. I think that's what he's talking about..

This is it. It's much easier to get to than the drain bolt, and less likely to strip.

snacob14
01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
my biggest problem with that tranny bolt is oil running all over my poly skid. I'm still trying to figure that one out

Bostockracing22
01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
I have used aluminum foil and molded a place for mine to drain over the skid on the 05 model..also some tape works so it gets it all. hope that helps

airmobile101
01-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by snacob14
my biggest problem with that tranny bolt is oil running all over my poly skid. I'm still trying to figure that one out
Jake, I have oil diapers that you can tuck under the engine when you drain it. That way, it gets most of the oil that goes onto the skid plate, whatever is left, I just hit it with Kal-gard de-greaser and rinse off.