PDA

View Full Version : LED Performance

latheboy
01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
I just want to give a shout out for Arlan at LED performance. I called him today basically just to get a price quote on a 350PV top end that I am building this spring/summer. He was very kind and seemed excited that I was inquiring about his services. I told him I had heard good things about his port work as compared to some others (ESR). He also said he hand builds all 250r pipes. I have been comtemplating which company to work with, ESR, CT or LED, and now I am sure I will go with LED.

I did make a call to ESR the other day, and they were kind also. Somewhat less personal tho, and I like it that Arlan seems to really care about how I am spending a couple thousand dollars. With some support for 250r's fading.....If you are in the market, give the man a call!

http://www.ledperformanceengines.com/index.htm

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 06:32 PM
arlen is a great guy to work with and can build what you want. its also great to communicate on a personal level with the man going inside your motor

Motofool250r
01-18-2010, 06:37 PM
350 eh have you thought about a puma?

latheboy
01-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Have not put much thought to a puma. I am just building a good motor to play with. Up here in Wisconsin, I like to ride the ice, and a 350pv would be a beast on the ice roadcourse, or short ovals we run. I might run a race or two a year, but mostly building it to play.
I wll be starting on the motor work in a month or two, as soon as the ice is out up here. I will be doing the build myself with the top end, pipe carb supplied by LED. I will be boring my own cases, going with yukon gears, and a new crank. Thinking about sending the new crank to falicon if I need to. Undecided on that yet.

woodsracer144
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
when i called him he was poundin on a freakin motor or something... hammers goin he was runnin a inpact... he might make some good stuff but CT has really treated me...

latheboy
01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
when i called him he was poundin on a freakin motor or something... hammers goin he was runnin a inpact... he might make some good stuff but CT has really treated me...

LOL! I have heard lots of good things about CT also, mainly from the 450r guys....

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 07:16 PM
good point woodsracer. you probably did hear something. he's got his bluetooth in and HE was workin on something. he's not sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. always workin on something. he's also relying on word of mouth, no advertising.

jhtrx250r
01-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Arlan,s shop is 5min from my house, he has alaways spent more time with me than any engine builder needs to, giving me the ins and outs of all the motor combos.
He actualy has my 310 sphinx PV, and my 450r honda in his shop right now.
I would personaly go with the pro cross 350 PV jug he dose, He can get you a Puma if you want but, I still would go with any pro cross cylinder over a CPI, I have both and thats just a personal opinion, if you lived in oregon I would let you ride them both so you could make a better decision they are better for difrent things, the CPI stuff is all top end ant that is where they shine (I use mine for drag racing) The pro cross is a torque monster, and will whip any 4 stroke into shape.
PdxBigfoot has arlans MX ported 330 and it is a torqey stump pulling SOB, it makes my 450r feel like a lt80 LOL.
Im sure he will chime in sooner or later.

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
just got my 370 back a few months ago. 65 on the dyno. makes me happy:devil:

jhtrx250r
01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
If your's has 65 hp on arlans dyno then its more like "80" on someone elses, my sphinx 310 dynoed at 55 rwhp at arlans but smokes down ever bike that iv raced that have a "clamed" 65-70 hp at some of the other oregon shop's, I cant name any names or I will get kicked off the forum but they are in the salem area.

dtowndiesel
01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
I enjoy hearing him work on things in the background when I talk to him on the phone, its because he's an owner/operater. I also love that he's the one that answers the phones, whens the last time Eddie or Allan worked the phones?

You will never regret using Arlan he does top notch work and has the character to back it up with amazing customer support. He comes highly reccomended.

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 08:18 PM
like i said; makes me happy :devil: !

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 08:19 PM
btw didn't some Gary Denton guy run his motors a while back? haha

latheboy
01-18-2010, 08:27 PM
I talked to him about dyno numbers today also. He told me that the 350pv wuold prob go up to about 65hp the way i want it ported, but if it was tuned down to about 60-62hp, it would have a wider, more useable powerband. thats what we need up here ice riding on a roadcourse. There is so much traction, you need a lot of torque to get out of the corner. I ride with 60+hp 4 stroke guys, and I think it should be fun next winter.....

This quad may see a few dirt flattrack races this summer/fall too, you never know. lol

woodsracer144
01-18-2010, 08:32 PM
IMO i find it rude that he has to work, i cant hear a word he says... if he answers the phone then stop for the 5 or 10 min's... if you want to talk with the guys at CT all i have to do is say i want to talk to this person or that person and there i go and i hear what they say...

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 08:41 PM
my 370 is a torque monster. no slipping the clutch at all. diesel-ish. power all thru out. it could make more with top-end porting and maybe the cr250 ignition but it is more ridable how it is. sorry woodsracer, that may have been one of my motors he was workin on.

woodsracer144
01-18-2010, 08:46 PM
it was the first part of the summer when he started out...

atv fan 28
01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by dtowndiesel
I enjoy hearing him work on things in the background when I talk to him on the phone, its because he's an owner/operater. I also love that he's the one that answers the phones, whens the last time Eddie or Allan worked the phones?

You will never regret using Arlan he does top notch work and has the character to back it up with amazing customer support. He comes highly reccomended. my buddy sent his motor off to CT to get a 350 PV kit. there is no telling how many time he called just to talk to Allan! which ALOT of them times the only person he got to talk to was the secretary! if im paying you thousands of dollars to build my motor you better talk to me. just my opinion

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
maybe he's trying to put a good reliable product out on an individual level rather than sell 50,000 pipes and exhausts like some other companies, including one he used to own

latheboy
01-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by sikadelic
maybe he's trying to put a good reliable product out on an individual level rather than sell 50,000 pipes and exhausts like some other companies, including one he used to own

This is the impression I got.

woodsracer144
01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by sikadelic

you can do it, but its called take time with the person also... i dont have a problem with him working and talking... but i had to repeat my self more then once and i couldnt hear what he was saying... i just dont think thats the way you should run a business... you can have quailty and good customer service...

i dont know how you could talk with Allen at CT... i do all the time...

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
the last guy that tried being perfect had a hard time come good friday. my engines are important enough to me that if i cant communicate what i want or need in a 5-10 minute phone call because i cant hear what the guy is sayin then i will call back when it is convenient. i'm not really interested in going down to walmart for the same aRtwork that the everybody else has. i know what i want and have the patience to get it.

woodsracer144
01-18-2010, 09:41 PM
i've called there several times... he might do some great work... but i would rather not have my brains rattled out by a inpact...

sikadelic
01-18-2010, 10:43 PM
well call allan. or his secretary. or who ever makes you happy

86 Quad R
01-19-2010, 07:19 AM
with the rep that he has, do you realize the number of calls this feller must get on a daily basis? average the calls to 10 minutes each with no work being done and you'll very quickly have a wasted day.

tt racer
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
I second that he is a very cool and honest guy. He was very helpful when i talked to him about a motor package, he really did care about what i had to say. You cant even talk to sparks or other good builders. LED is running a business the right way.

skyeryder
01-19-2010, 10:37 AM
I had a small sponsorship with him in 98-00' awesome guy, glad to hear he's still doing great work, just might have to give him a call for the TT quad:)

woodsracer144
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
i dont know when i called LRD on a resleeve they said they would call LED and get back to me and they wanted liek 350 for just s OE bore sleeve, i called up CT and talked with Allen and he told me to scrap it cause i could get a after market one for a few hundys more... i was shocks when he told me this and then hes like think about it, you have a junk cyl pretty much, other places will do it, and i can do it but its really a waste when you can get a Pro cross jug for about that much used and new about 500....

this is something that we are going to have to agree to dis agree on...

jas250r
01-19-2010, 03:36 PM
i went with a ct 350pv last year. because lrd wasn't lrd and couldn't find much info at the time about led. allan did me good talked to him couple times. his secretary on the ther hand is a f@#! c!@#. boy is she horrible

woodsracer144
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
i never really talk with her, say my name and away i go to allen....

2-330s
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
both are great guys i've spent time on the phone with them numerous times. just remember some of the ct motors come with custom cut flattop pistons. so you have to buy them from allen.
are you running cwira or swira?

woodsracer144
01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
are you talkin to me 2-330s?

2-330s
01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
no latheboy said he was doing some iceracing. just wondering where. i saw another 250r at the swira event last weekend that looked like 87 that was 95% stock and in great shape!

DyingBreed
01-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I have had several motors done by Arlan since 1998 and was pleased with everyone of them. Arlan stays on the phone until he answers every question you have. He is a great guy who stands behind his products even after the purchase is complete. I switched engine builders when Arlan sold LRD and went with CT. I bought a 350PV from Allen and he too was great to deal with. He is always willing to help you get the most out of his products. Both of these guys are awesome to deal with. I plan to have Arlan build me a 350PV in the future when I have the funds. I don't think you can go wrong with either guy for your engine needs they are both first class gentlemen.

sikadelic
01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
both do great work. im just sayin dont dis on arlen just cuz hes workin and talkin on the phone on the same time. its nice for me that he's just down the road and builds nationally recognized engines. he' just relying on word of mouth for led, no ads or anything. my stuff from him hasnt always been perfect, but he will do his best to get it as close to it as he can. not dissin on ct either , they been in the biz a loooong time also.

latheboy
01-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 2-330s
both are great guys i've spent time on the phone with them numerous times. just remember some of the ct motors come with custom cut flattop pistons. so you have to buy them from allen.
are you running cwira or swira?

Well, as of now i am just riding for fun. Last year I ran 2 cwira races with my 400ex and did well, actually. Then I ran 2 local races on Winnebago, otter street fisheree, and a race down by Pipe for the Fond Du Lac winterfest. In that race, I went over a buddys wheel. It threw me over the bars and I dislocated my shoulder. So, my race career is pretty much over now. I play every weekend on Winnebago, and a good group of bike and quad guys keep nice tracks plowed all the time along the west shore.

Me going over the bars of my old 400ex. My buddy came from the back row with a stock 450r, and I drove over his rear wheel. Note the '89 R in that race! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28DzNSWWIbA

woodsracer144
01-19-2010, 08:33 PM
**** i forgot you were in Wi! what class do you run? ever run out on Lake Wissota by Chippewa Falls?

latheboy
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
nope, never been up that way. This saturday I will be down on Fox lake, its near beaver dam. There will be studded and non studded quads and bikes on the oval. Yes, NON STUDDED BIKES! lol
I wont be riding in the races.

With CWIRA i ran in the studded B class last year. I mainly ran the B class because I was running a 400ex.

I will take videos.

woodsracer144
01-19-2010, 08:43 PM
where are you from? i got a guy in my class at teck that races a banshee and a raptor in the cwira.... i cant think of his name, hes got a flame tat on his right arm...

latheboy
01-19-2010, 08:45 PM
I am from Oshkosh. Most of the cwira guys wouldnt recognize me because I only ran a few races with them.

woodsracer144
01-19-2010, 09:08 PM
oh man, i'll be over by you on feb 6th a sister is gettin married over by you...

latheboy
01-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Thats the day of the Otter Street fisheree race, right here in Oshkosh! bring a quad!

woodsracer144
01-19-2010, 09:22 PM
I cant! im in the Wedding! and im working on my motor right now... find the Big bore Polanda post of mine... i got a vid of my build im doing right now... i sound like a total idiot on the cam but oh well... check it out thou... i'll be working on it some more tomorrow...

woodsracer144
01-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by latheboy
Thats the day of the Otter Street fisheree race, right here in Oshkosh! bring a quad!

have any vids of that?!

pdxbigfoot
01-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Is a hell of a guy and has an insane amount of knowledge and im proud to call him my friend.
I was blessed to have worked with him for about 10 months last year after the completion of my build and i have to say i learned alot about alot of different things.
If he answers the phone and is in the middle of building an engine sometimes he has to keep doing what hes doing to get past a crucial part of assembly.

Thats just the way it is....its just him, there is no secretary, shop manager, or parts department.
When you call Led Performance you have a hotline to the main man.

That right there in my opinion should be a huge deciding factor when thinking about your next engine builder.
I want to KNOW whos building my engine.... some faceless person with a porting tool making faceless port jobs just doesnt cut the mustard for me.

sikadelic
01-20-2010, 09:16 AM
when R's where dominating the racing scenes, gnc and gncc, he was building engines for the champs in both. a hotline to the main man behind those engines. why would you want to go anywhere else with your R?

2-330s
01-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by latheboy
Thats the day of the Otter Street fisheree race, right here in Oshkosh! bring a quad! hay we will be at the fisheree. last 2 years i won the openpro studded and my buddy one the open studded last year on his blue raptor i built for him. the way they started the open pro over three times pissed me off! got the hole shot the first 3 and the fourth my ignition was wet from the 6" of water on the track. look us up i will have a black duramax 4 door and a white trailer. red 250r,blue raptor and a yellow yfz.
are the other races you run cash races?

woodsracer144
01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
what time is that at? shes gettin married at like 2ish... by Omro... but then we have to go to Wis rapids..

latheboy
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
350PV should be 1-2 weeks away from my doorstep. Arlan is providing most of the motor. 350pv cyl, piston, head with race gas dome, spacer plate, 38mm carb, intake, vforce reeds, welded and trued hotrods crank, gaskets and seals, main bearings, pipe and sielencer, an additional rear section to the pipe, and a few other things I may be forgetting. I have a new set of yukon gears here, waiting. I will be machining the cases and building it.
I would like to get a cr 250 ignition. I have a line on a 98 cr ignition (analog). Waiting to hear from the guy. Any thoughts on running the 98 ignition?

I will take photos of all the stuff Arlan sends me. Especially the cylinder porting.

pdxbigfoot
03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Almost a must.
When I worked with Arlan I was many times in charge of getting bigbore R's on the dyno.
This entails getting it strapped down on the roller, hooked up to the laptop and finally starting the beast.
A stock R ignition provided quite abit of trouble with the bigbores when it came to kicking it over. I have limped for days from having a 350 PV kickback on me and let me tell you its not really that fun (I have a permanent calcium deposit on my right shin)
My 330 non PV will fire on the 2nd kick 95% of the time but it takes a different. Technique.
My 330 will also rev instantly, I mean RIGHT NOW! From an idle walk up and grab a handfull and there is zero hesitation.

You are going to be very pleased with DR Lehman,s handywork.

Better be pointed in the right direction when she comes on the pipe.

woodsracer144
03-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by pdxbigfoot

My 330 will also rev instantly, I mean RIGHT NOW! From an idle walk up and grab a handfull and there is zero hesitation.

how did you get that? everything i've ever rode has had a bit of a bog or a second that it took to rev but a yzf400 i had in a 400ex chassis...

pdxbigfoot
03-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Porting, ignition, jetting, gas, pipe, and patience.
My best run was 58.7 (pretty sure) and a huge 46.8 ft lb,s of torque.
Click and paste the url in my signature in your browser for the videos.
Last time I was at winchester I felt her really "break in" and seat of the pants felt like she gained a couple more HP.
I still plan on doing a makeover this year if $ allows.
Suspension being the main focus then cosmetics.
I will do more dyno runs then.

k7mm
03-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Porting, ignition, jetting, gas, pipe, and patience.
My best run was 58.7 (pretty sure) and a huge 46.8 ft lb,s of torque.
Click and paste the url in my signature in your browser for the videos.
Last time I was at winchester I felt her really "break in" and seat of the pants felt like she gained a couple more HP.
I still plan on doing a makeover this year if $ allows.
Suspension being the main focus then cosmetics.
I will do more dyno runs then.
What a rush watching your bike on the dyno.Totally awesome from start to finish!Almost needed the down time looking at the computer screen to come down from the rush!I love the color of your frame.Is that the I think 08Honda 450r frame color?I've been trying to match that color ever since it came out.I got as close as I could.

Honda 250r 001
03-05-2010, 02:37 PM
what gear do you do the dyno runs in?

pdxbigfoot
03-05-2010, 02:45 PM
From 6th. Down to 2K RPM on up

2-330s
03-06-2010, 06:08 PM
From 6th. Down to 2K RPM on up every time i've been to the dyno they have used fifth on the six speeds and fourth on the five speeds to get as close to a 1:1 ratio as possible those are some good hp numbers but the torque it off the chart! if you don't mind could you post the graph? i'd like to see where yor power is

pdxbigfoot
03-06-2010, 08:13 PM
get out and see Arlan in the next week or so and will get the run charts then. Like i said earier i cant wait to get her back on the dyno as i feel shes making more right now.
Yes we were both shocked with the torque numbers. You really have to short shift her though and stay right in the {"meat} and she will tear your arms off. Try to over rev....she falls right on her face.
Its a MX holeshot engine for sure.