PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Con with front wheel spacers!?

reptikes
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
I was debating on getting front wheel spacers. I would like to hear from those who have tried them and what there take is.

Does it have any negitive affects on handling, cornering, steering, ect?
Or is it just the same just wider?

jcv400ex
01-18-2010, 04:16 PM
resign you membership here right now and save yourself the wrath of ATVRIDER members right now! :mad:

kfx400rider03
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
pros cheap way to widen the front. a little bit better handling.

cons i think it would wear out your wheel bearings quicker sence there is more leverage on the front hub and spindle. and IMO i think quads with them look are doofy looking

reptikes
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
resign you membership here right now and save yourself the wrath of ATVRIDER members right now! :mad:

That either means they suck... or... they are alright, but people would tell me not to be cheap and buy a-arms.

Well... i dont race or plan to. A-arm would be a BIG waste of money. I do know that wider obviously = stability. And... my axle is a good bit wider than my front and im not about to adjust it to shorten it. I had a problem ( like everytime you go riding, for 2-3 months problem) with getting my one rear hub to stay tightened. I used Red Loctite like that was what is was made for then finally about the 6th time i tried it just stayed tight.

Not playing with that again!

So whats the pros and Cons?

JIM GRACE
01-18-2010, 04:36 PM
I think it exposes the brake caliper by pushing the wheel further than stock. The con is damage can happen from not being protected.

Rear spacers are more common and have had them on my Z forever with no problems.

reptikes
01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Whats the cheapest a-arms i could get and run with my stock shocks? I'd like to ad 1"-1.5" to each side, or 2"-3" over all.

kfx400rider03
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
burgard a arms
http://www.burgardcycle.com/xcart/home.php

beastlywarrior
01-18-2010, 04:59 PM
what kinda quad is it if its a quad like a 300ex or warrior youll be fine runnin them

chucked
01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Bump steer becomes horrible.

Scro
01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
They are a waste of money. Save your money and buy wider a-arms. Bumpsteer isn't changed, it's the amount of feedback you will feel through the bars. Read up in the stickied "Steering and Handling Discussion" thread in the suspension section to learn more.

bustedknuckle
01-18-2010, 06:09 PM
what type of racing? what are you rideing?

BakerRacing40
01-19-2010, 12:39 AM
pros- wider stance , decreases tippyness

cons- increases leverage from the tire/wheel to your handle bars, worn parts, it does leave your brakes somewhat unprotected ,

and you killed a kitten everytime you use them... but don't worry i've killed a few in my day... but they were bad kitties :devil:

01-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Save your money and buy some A-arms.

BlaineKaiser450
01-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Nova
Save your money and buy some A-arms. Definatly.

400exrider707
01-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by kfx400rider03
a little bit better handling.

Nope. Worse handling.

Originally posted by chucked
Bump steer becomes horrible.

Nope. Doesn't change.

Originally posted by BakerRacing40

and you killed a kitten everytime you use them...

Yep.

Originally posted by Scro
They are a waste of money. Save your money and buy wider a-arms. Bumpsteer isn't changed, it's the amount of feedback you will feel through the bars. Read up in the stickied "Steering and Handling Discussion" thread in the suspension section to learn more.

Listen to this guy ^^^

Thanks Scro!

CRE Performance
01-19-2010, 07:38 PM
This is not a good way to go. Your steering feedback will be absolutely horrible, and I hope you hate your tie rods cause you will be replacing them every time you hit a moderate sized bump.

chucked
01-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Ok bump steer is the wrong term I'm thinking of. But its been explained enough.

CannondaleRider
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
The reason you never should want wheel spacers, is the same reason 4+1 offset wheels are preferred over 3+2.

... Feedback. Any kind of sharp impact on one side is trying to leverage on the tire, in turn, snapping your steering to one side. Can be very painful and inconvenient as it is without a stabilizer, let alone with wheel spacers pushing the tires out farther, and adding even more leverage to that issue.

You want your tires as far in as possible... good width additions come from A-arms, not wheel spacers.

CannondaleRider
01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Jesus, a lot of people replied since I opened this thread. ha

reptikes
01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Dont worry guys... im not into killing kittens.
I'm going to save up and get Burgard or Full Flight A-Arms.

thanks for all the input.

400exrider707
01-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
Dont worry guys... im not into killing kittens.
I'm going to save up and get Burgard or Full Flight A-Arms.

thanks for all the input.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you couldn't give me either set of those arms. My best advice is take the money you'd use for those arms and buy a set of higher quality, used arms, from this site in the classifieds! ;)

The fullflights are just complete garbage, and I have the documentation to prove it, so if you'd like to see that, give me your email address.

The Burgard construction is good, but the balljoints are super weak.

Burgard does sell a set of better arms with the bigger balljoints, but they're going to run the same price as other companies (houser, LSR, the likes.)

I've bought multiple sets of arms on this site for under $300 and around that price range. Money well spent.

JIM GRACE
01-20-2010, 05:30 PM
You can also check out wicked a arms.
They ran me around 4 or 450 powder coated blue
and have held up great not cheepo's. I found them on eBay the company is from Cali

400exrider707
01-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I've heard mixed reviews about the wicked arms. You have any pics?

I think the best bang for the buck personally is SMC fab arms. Lifetime warranty too...

JIM GRACE
01-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I've heard mixed reviews about the wicked arms. You have any pics?

the a arms are at least 5 years old, no probs
the lower arms are missing powdercoat from tire rub afer pushing my sons mini quad
back to camp a few too many times.

i would def recommend,, solid componets for the money

400exrider707
01-20-2010, 10:57 PM
You got any closeups of like the shock mounts and the balljoints/heims whatever they use? I've never really had any experience with them.

I've always just purchased good used arms off this site for the most part. Usually Houser is my fav, but I've used some JB components and I have to say, I really like those arms.

reptikes
01-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Ive been looking on the site for some cheap ones but i dont know what size i need! Im going to be using my stock shocks so what size A-arms am i looking for? Or what would be recomended?

JIM GRACE
01-21-2010, 01:02 PM
+ 2

You may need brake lines too

reptikes
01-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I want + 1"- 1.5" on each side. What i dont know about size is whether or not my stock shocks would fit ?

JIM GRACE
01-22-2010, 06:28 AM
If you are buying new arms ask the mfg if you
can use your stock shocks. If they are used ask
the owner what size eye to eye shock they used.

Standard travel arms should work for you

if you plan on jumping either look into revalving
or aftermarket shocks down the road. IMO