PDA

View Full Version : 450r Shocks

Skoalicious
01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
I also posted this on another site, I would like a few more opinions, didn't really get a direct answer.

Hi, I have a couple questions to ask here.

I just recently purchased a 450r, and my buddy has a YFZ450. I noticed it seemed his shocks had a lot more travel, and seemed to be alot softer than my 450r's. The biggest notice is when he is front braking hard, the a-arms are completely horizontal. Whereas my 450r shocks hardly even come close to that. I've rode his bike quite a few times and love the way it handles and feels with the soft ride.

His shocks are competely stock according to the guy he got the bike from. The a-arms look really wide also compared to my 450r's. I hate how my 450r looks like a monster truck. I have the shocks set to the softest they will go. What can I do to get that soft ride. I mostly ride mx, with an occasional trail riding.

Does anybody have an explanation for this? Is it just the difference in bikes even though they are both stock or what?

Thanks to anyone who may answer this.

Ichoptop
01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
I have never played with a YZF but if there is a large width difference then I would say that he has aftermarket a-arms. If this is the case and depending on the mfg then his lower shock mounts maybe be farther out which in theory make the pressure on the shock greater and the front end lower. With this added pressure the shocks will feel softer but there us a much greater chance if bottoming them out. There are several on here that have had the stock shocks reworked for the type if riding you do and your weight at a much cheaper rate then a new shock purchase.

Lquad71
01-18-2010, 05:34 PM
is it a yfz450 or yfz450R

Skoalicious
01-18-2010, 05:45 PM
That is a very good question it may be the R. It has the gullwing type a-arms that are stock. Im assuming that's the R version?

I considered wheel spacers, but was scared they might not hold up to the rough riding?