PDA

View Full Version : Fuel in Oil

bcapien
01-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I checked my oil today and notice i have about 1/2 quart of fuel in my oil.. What would cause this?? Its not the rings because its a brand new rebuild and its not blowing any smoke at all.. I am running a edelbrock carb and thinking maybe the carb is having issues with the floats or something.. Can anyone give me some help?? Thanks

mikecancu812
01-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd guess it was the floats stuck. I had that happen to my crotch rocket while I was at work and had to trailer it home. Gas was shootin out of oil plug everywhere. your gonna want to change your oil a few time to get it all out

bcapien
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
That what i was thinking.. I was also thinking maybe the rings didnt seat all the way after rebuild but its not smoking at all.. Anyone know how to adjust edelbrock carb floats?? Maybe there set to high?? Not sure.. How should i fix them or find out if there is a problem??

togup
01-18-2010, 08:10 PM
fuel can get by the rings but it should never get past your valves unless the cam lobe is holding the intake valve open and you have a stuck float, sounds like multiple problems, take the carb apart clean the float assembly and turn your fuel off every time until you figure out your problem

bcapien
01-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Valves was just adjusted after putting in stage 2 hot cam.. I have no valve noise or anything.. I checked floats and had to readjust the floats.. Hoping that was the issue

bcapien
01-18-2010, 10:12 PM
So if this is the problem what do i need to do?? Bike is running great just has some fuel in the oil. Would adding a stage 2 hot cam be the problem?? Was it installed wrong?? I can fix it just need to know what i should do.. Everything on top end is new.. All valves seated great with no leaks at all.. Compresion was normal.. Timing is on and has no starting issues at all.. Please let me know.. Thanks

togup
01-19-2010, 08:15 PM
the cam is a pretty simple mod thats not your problem you should focus on the fuel problem

bcapien
01-19-2010, 09:43 PM
yeah i checked today and it was the floats.. I had to adjust them so fuel was about 1/4 less in bowl.. I changed the oil and ran about 5 laps and checked again and seemed ok.. I will check tomorrow morning and see if level is the same or higher..

300ex mxracer
01-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Mine did this one time randomly and never had a problem since. I figured the float stuck for some reason.