PDA

View Full Version : Is the 650 able to be a GOOD trail quad?

Brauap
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes, is the 650 able to be a GOOD trail quad? I am talking about GNCC style trails?

What are common modifications do people do to make these large and wide machines trail worthy? I have been looking and I have NOT found a single way to make this quads any narrior!? What are the best ways to get more bottom end grunt out of these machines?

Diesel101
01-18-2010, 05:05 PM
I've had my ds650x since the end of 05'... And it's been the most amazing ride I've ever had. Ive ridden other bikes, 450's and 400's... Even with the other bikes I love the 650, it has to be the most solid bike I've ever ridden, tons of smooth on demand power and always reliable.
As far as mods...
I've got these:
filter w/ open air lid
after market muffler tip (does the same as full pipe)
big gun rev box cdi
re-valves rear shock
itp holeshot HD tires
175 main jet (I think, it was one size up from stock)
a 15tooth front sprocket for sand sand drag/tight woods
all the x package skids/gaurds etc.

Good luck

BamBam730
01-19-2010, 06:40 AM
I have a 2007 650 and love it. I ride on all the same trails that i use to ride with my 400ex. It is a little wider and heavier but it is well compensated for by the sheer power that the 650 makes. There is no comparison of power between the 400ex and the ds650. The ride is fantastic and it is the most comfortable quad that I have ever rode. The only modification I have added is a steering stabilizer. Here is a picture of my 650 along with my friends 03 650.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/bambam730/atv3.jpg

florentino
01-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Yes, is the 650 able to be a GOOD trail quad? I am talking about GNCC style trails?

What are common modifications do people do to make these large and wide machines trail worthy? I have been looking and I have NOT found a single way to make this quads any narrior!? What are the best ways to get more bottom end grunt out of these machines?
in the front you can make it narrow with 4plus one rims .. i had a ds 650 the baja x model. reb box, filter jets and a pipe its all you need. its a heavy atv so removing some lbs helps .. i also know that there is a big change from 2001 to the 2006 some like swingarm and better shocks and a arms, i remember i had a 220 jet in pismo and was the fastest stock ds vs stock raptors.

coryatver
01-26-2010, 09:56 PM
the newer model years they made a lot more trail friendly. The older ones were huge

805ds
01-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by BamBam730
I have a 2007 650 and love it. I ride on all the same trails that i use to ride with my 400ex. It is a little wider and heavier but it is well compensated for by the sheer power that the 650 makes. There is no comparison of power between the 400ex and the ds650. The ride is fantastic and it is the most comfortable quad that I have ever rode. The only modification I have added is a steering stabilizer. Here is a picture of my 650 along with my friends 03 650.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/bambam730/atv3.jpg
Actually!!
The shocks on the early models 01-03 were better shocks than the newer ones,the yellow shocks are awsome and easy to tune,the newer ones were definetly stiffer,the rear shock is made by works performance,easy to adjust.Steering stabilizer is one fo the best mods by far,lid of air would not recommend,this carbs work better with the lid on and just jet a few numbers up.
Been riding this monsters since they came out,my 450x is cool,but it does not compare in power with my 650.

Dale512
01-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes I believe it is a great trail quad. I had an 04 and rode it on all the tight, rocky trails out here in pa and honestly I miss that bike more than my 400EX, Cannondale, YFZ, or KFX. All I had was a Pro Circuit Slip-On, Steering Stabilizer, & 4/1 Front Rims and loved it.