PDA

View Full Version : ds 450 x mx

allbones512
01-18-2010, 12:32 PM
:confused: guys just ordered 450 mx and should have it by end of week. the boy 165 lbs is gonna race it this year, moved up from junior quad class. He rode highly modded 300 ex last year, when there wasnt a junior class available at the track we were at we would race it in 450 c. He was able 2 beat almost all the 450 c riders with his 300 got 2nd a couple of times. Just wondering what I need 2 do besides ecu, pipe, and air filter? He was jumping 70 foot triples with the 300. Let me know please the 450 mx is a 2009.

TNT
01-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Sounds like he's off to a good start! You know about the pink wire right? To access a race map that will unleash some power especially w/the pipe, filter. See how it runs, that right there is a good c-class quad. If you want more power come out here tell me your budget and I'll help ya out.

We had one guy just add a 13. 6 pistion to the pipe, intake, race map and says he noticed a HUGE difference running pump gas, race gas better! He lives at high elevation, name is Dray, need NO fuel controller......you could throw one in and try it but be forewarned if you run lean which some have you will need a $300 PC3 or other fuel controller.

allbones512
01-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I would like 2 talk 2 u more 2morrow what is the pink wire mod and I dont know what all I am getting. The guy at local shop is gonna sponsor us and said i will get pipe radiator louver battery box and computer. what kind of filter setup should I get. I am gonna let him race it that way for winter and then get some more work done. :devil:

simond
01-18-2010, 07:07 PM
K&N open airbox for filter

@ TNT ... no pink wire mod if he got a motowork ECu am i right??

allbones512
01-18-2010, 09:21 PM
so I just need a k&n filter and take lid off? please help.

Dickie
01-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I am a racer in australia on a budget, and i to have the ds450x mx. I run a full motoworks SR 4 exhaust, pink wire cut, no airbox lid and a Fuel Customs (pod style - same as K & N) air filter with a larger intake ring and i have to say this thing is great for mx. And it has enough power to get the holeshot. These few little things are a great place to start with the DS

TNT
01-18-2010, 09:55 PM
I personally like BCS below for intakes that are available. Ask them to hook you up with a replacement for the rubber intake boot that goes between the filter and throttle body. Yes take the lid off,

http://triton.heritagewebdesign.com/~manc22/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=160&zenid=45e6ba97611966e293d06480abeafdfd

Some like Rossier,

http://www.rossiereng.com/products.php?product=1192137263

Simond – no you're getting confused. The ECU (computer) you get with the race package eliminated the limp mode for racing THATS ALL, the limp mode guys is a safety feature that reduces engine power to allow you to “limp” home” or back to your truck if you had a serious engine problem and not damage your engine, just like cars with Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI). As you can imagine that is not good when going off a 70 foot tripple or for racing, so the “Race ECU” eliminates it. Ok, that has nothing to do with the “RACE MAP” I know this stuff was confusing to me when I first started.

The “Race Map” is a fuel delivery program that the ECU runs to the injector to lean out the mixture for more power and to accommodate a pipe and the air lid off and a limited amount of race mods, in some cases a high compression piston can be added. You access it by the left upper side of the engine take the plastic off, under blue masking tape there is a “Pink Wire” you simply cut it.

As you do more mods you may need a fuel controller that supplements the ECU. Several companies make them but Power Commander or “PC” we refer to it as makes the best, there is a “PC 3” unit or more advanced “PC 5” unit.

Allbones512, Get the intake from BCS and lid off, pipe, ECU on, then let’s see how she runs. Put the new race ECU on right away when you get the new one that way it will start to “read” your quad from day one and you won’t have to “flash” data over later like diagnostics codes, etc......Fire the quad up lets see how it runs and go from there.

allbones512
01-19-2010, 08:20 AM
would I be smarter just getting the pc 5 right off the bat? what about the gearing does anybody know what stock size gearing is on the 09 ds 450 x mx?

ml450r
01-19-2010, 08:47 AM
I believe it is 13-39.
Stock gearing worked well on mine.

TNT
01-19-2010, 05:06 PM
I put this out here for others w/ new quads plus too long for PM. Sent you a PM w/ my number if you still have questions.

Shocks - My son is the same weight as yours I think your son is going to love the handling of the quad. The stock shocks are not that great, we chose PEPs but cost $3,300 and the rear needs a frame mod/grind to get it in. Fox rear which is not that great I hear, may need a little grind too, they did not leave enough room at the upper rear shock body/head to get after-market shocks in. AXIS is coming up the ranks with some new technology a “Hole Shot” devise on theirs. The stocks ones are set up for the your sons weight, some say a re-valve/spring can make a huge difference and there are companies that do this well (ask the suspension section forum), my son LOVES his PEPs on this quad.

Computer - See the ECU you are getting is the main computer that runs the quad. When we talk about Power Commander (PC-3, or PC -5) we are referring to a seperate second computer that you add so you can change the fuel delivery to the injector. Here is a link to PC below, you see the PC 3 they don’t show the PC 5 but it’s available for your 2009 this is what we run. We ran both the PC 3 and PC 5 and the PC5 is much better since it has an 02 sensor, you’ll pay more for the PC 5 tuner like $200 that comes with a 02 sensor you drill a hole in your exhaust and mount it. It’s best to get the PC 5 with or without the auto-tuner since you can always add the auto-tuner later. If you want optimum on-the-fly contunious tunning and performance, better throttle response and power the PC5 and autotuner is worth the money right from the start. You will optimize it’s performance by getting a dyno tune. It really has some advanced tuning features like being able to tune per gear.

PC 3: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_iii_usb.aspx?mk=4&mdl=174&yr=2008

PC 5: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/AutoTune/powercommander_autotune.aspx

Intake - Look at the pic you’ll see a Fuel Customs Intake (FCI) and HUGE K&N best on the market imo, there is no reduction ring adapter to get in the way of air flow. This is a prototype that we have problems getting in & out of the box easily, I am entertaining the idea of taking the box out and building an easy to install “mud” box. There’s a sensor I need to figure out where to put, more on that in a few days.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/IMG_2740.jpg

You can wait for the FCI and just run the stock set up for now or add BCS’s filter and adapter to the stock rubber intake boot. BRP race team you should have access to their parts makes a metal shrowd and filter but way over priced imo. Call the BRP parts department if you want it.

Battery - I’d probably replace the battery box, ours broke after about 25 hours...My son is much harder on the quad than yours but you may want to do it anyway, BCS has the best one imo.

Fuel - We’ve had some issues with fuel boiling if you run in hot weather, we had this boot made by CV4, give them a call. http://www.cvproducts.com/powersports/Products.aspx?CATID=10000769 Or use any heat reflective tape. Also look at the photos of ours beleow, cut swiss cheese holes in the plastic by the tank, 2" dia with a wood drill.

Graphics - SSI makes some real nice professional race team graphics......call IAN 877-955-7446

Steering - Precision makes a good stabilizer, BCS makes a upper mount for it or Precision makes a lower one. If you go lower get the “pro”-model it can take the heat.

Electrical - The race harness is bulky, BCS makes a simplied one that gets rid of fuses and relays...carry an xtra battery and starter solinoid. Again good upgrade if you got the bucks. Carry xtra relays they go out often.....

Coolant- The coolant recovery tank is also the seat mount that will eventually break. The coolant tank above the engine is in a bad location for xtreme racers, BCS makes a better system. You may not need it for c-class racing but I recommend it you got the $.

Engine - There are a lot more engine mods I can throw at you but think you should get the pipe, intake, on run it this winter compare the power to the 300ex then go from there, a good set of tunned shocks, steering stab, can do just as much as motor mods for some racers.

Gearing – Most find the stock hearing fine for most tracks. For larger tracks well go to a 37 rear, rethonal chain.....get the gear and chain on the same teeth when swapping.

Frame – There have been some issues with cracks, BCS sells the cheapest most effective fix. “Frame reenforcement kit”

Front Plate – use a small 5’ 5 ‘ w/the Louver kit.

Axle – May fail, Moto Works has freebees just pay shipping, DOM 2 makes the best solid one for the money.

About all I know any questions ask,

Heres a handy list of after-market companies.

A Arms:
Houser
Lonestar
ATV FourPlay
Bopp Racing
Walsh
RP Evolution

Shocks:
Fox
PEP
Custom Axis
Elka
Race Tech
HLS

Skid Plates:
BCS Performance Rotor/Sprocket guards
Warnert Sprocket Guards
Pro Armor
PRM
DG
BRP
AC Racing

Steering Stabilizers:
Precision
Streamline
Alba

Bumpers/Grab bars:
PRM
DG
Blingstar
BRP
Pro Armor
AC Racing
Rath Racing
Factory 43

NerfBars:
DG
Pro Armor
AC Racing
BRP
Rath Racing

Chassis Parts:
BCS Performance
Lonestar
ATV Fourplay
Motoworks
BRP
Walsh
RP Evolution
GT Thunder

Exhausts:
Motoworks
FMF
HMF
Ron Woods
Rossier
Yoshimura

Fuel Management:
Motoworks
Dynojet
FMF
HMF

Engine:
CP Pistons
BRP
BCS Performance
Motoworks
Rossier
Web Cams
Xceldyne
Falicon Cranks
Rage
Dasa

Steering Stems:
Houser
BRP
Lonestar
Walsh
RP Evolution

Cooling system:
CV4
BCS Performance
Motoworks
Fluidyne

Graphics Kits:
BCS Performance
GoForIt Graphics
SSI

Seat Kits:
Quad Tech

Wheels (Honda Bolt Pattern):
DWT
Hiper
ITP
OMF
BRP

Wiring Harness:
BCS Performance
Motoworks

Axles:
RPM
Lonestar
Durablue

Sprockets:
Tag Metals
Sidewinder
Hot Seat
Primary Drive

Filters:
No Toil
K&N
Twin Air

TNT
01-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Some photos of ours and list of mods just to give you an idea what can be done to the 09’s. This is one FAST SWEET QUAD!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/IMG_2733.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/IMG_2734.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/IMG_2735.jpg

495CC
13:1 CP
50MM TB (BRP)
Web Cams
Ti Retainers ( BRP)
Port (JSR)
Oversize Injector (BRP green)
FCI/Large K$N(prototype)
Rossier Pipe(full)
Race ECU
PC5
CV4 fuel tank boot(prototype)
PEP(PD1) Shocks
Race Team Louvers
ECU protector
Custom Race Team graphics by SSI
Dom 11 Axle
BCS Battery Box
E-85 fuel

NEXT: BCS frame kit, cooling, and race harness, back to 450cc w/adjustable cams.

florentino
01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
real nice atv, i am sure its better then the factory rides.. but how many $$$$$$$dollars do you have in that thing. and how many times has it fail on a race

TNT
01-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by florentino
real nice atv, i am sure its better then the factory rides.. but how many $$$$$$$dollars do you have in that thing. and how many times has it fail on a race

We got about $14K in it, these days you could get into this 09 for about $10-12K new. We've struggled past year because we protoyped ALOT of parts, the 495 being the biggest pain and we blew a rod through the case distroyed alot of parts because we did not put a wrist pin in the piston, human error! Then we keep blowing head gaskets, 3 AX races ago we bent an axle DNF'd, 2 AX races ago got first place, last weekend got 2nd Friday night against a strong AX pro, Sat night we FINALLY blew the clutch in 1st against the same pro's that was our fault, we go to Tulsa in two weeks we'll see.

Is this unusual for our level of racing, no! Not lately our YAM past 3 years twice as many probs and money. Do we see others in our class on other quads break axles, blow motors, trannies, cranks, TONS....that racing!!!! AND the better you get the more it cost!!!!

Thanks for the kudo's. Quad is actually FINALLY running great! Very Happy! Everything is going as planned learn the quad limits/ bugs work them out in the Winter AX for next season nationals. :D

allbones512
01-20-2010, 06:33 AM
wrist pin or wrist pin circlip?:confused:

ml450r
01-20-2010, 07:03 AM
That is one of the best looking ds's I have ever seen. But how did you get pep shocks? BCS told me pep won't make shocks for the stock arms.

I am sure he meant circlip.

TNT
01-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ml450r
That is one of the best looking ds's I have ever seen. But how did you get pep shocks? BCS told me pep won't make shocks for the stock arms.

I am sure he meant circlip.

Yes one cir-clip did it, I was drawing a blank on that word last night.

We go ours from Baldwin 6 months ago, I cant imagine why that would change since he made them custom to our rider and quad took 6 weeks. Best shocks ever on the DS quad especially from what I am told handles like a dream. Baldwin keeps a file on you, we can call him anytime for advice. PEP has now low speed comp, not needed, crossover and spring rate is very effective at soaking up small displacements and body roll if adjusted right.

Cannondale12
01-21-2010, 02:44 AM
Is the stock plus 2 a-arms for can am long travel..

allbones512
01-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Im getting ahold of baldwin this morning, that is who i dealt with on the boys junior quad. tnt or anybody do u know who makes the brackets 2 lower the subframe.

Racers Dad 37
01-21-2010, 07:50 AM
BCS Performance has a 3/4" lower subframe check with them

ds450xracer
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey TNT can i get your email address i have a few questions to ask you about the bike. Thanks

TNT
01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Sure - Terrylport@yahoo.com. I leave for a race in Tulsa tomorrow but will answer your questions when I return, when I make it through the ice storm. :eek2: