PDA

View Full Version : swing arm pivoit bolt wont come out

formula1020
01-18-2010, 09:59 AM
i have a 400ex and im taking the engine out to rebuild and i cant seem to get the swing arm piviot bolt out, i've tried everything from heating it up and an air hammer at this point i already know i have to buy new hardware for the swing arm . does anyone know of any tricks to get the swing arm piviot bolt out??

DnB_racing
01-18-2010, 10:10 AM
this is the reason they recommend removing and cleaning as part of your maintenance now your kinda screwed get a good brass punch with some heat and a big hammer it will come out

NeverLiftRacing
01-18-2010, 11:36 AM
We used a saw zaw very carefully and cut the bolt and bushings between each moutning point. it was very meticulous and nerve wrecking but we finally got it out.

400exrider707
01-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Cut mine out with a torch.

General maintenance never saved my bolt in my 450R swinger, and most of the ones I've removed this way were from the previous owner, so it wasn't anything I could have prevented.

On my 450, we had someone applying heat, someone using an impact, and someone hitting the other side with a hammer.... wouldn't budge. What happened was the bolt was physically bent, and to top that off the sleeves had frozen to the bolt.

Cut it apart with a torch and it all fell right out.

I then replaced it with an OEM bolt, that had been molycoated by Pappy. I never touched that bolt again (no maintenance) and it slid right out one year later when I rebuilt the motor, without any issues. I am a firm believer in the molycoating.:macho

lg440
01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
i rigged up a little puller for mine, put some tension on it and beat the other end with a brass punch. i then took the puller off and put an impact gun on the bolt to get it spinning. took some time but with the combination of those methods it came out.

quad2xtreme
01-22-2010, 01:37 PM
since you are taking the engine out, this will work great for you.

Take the rear shock and linkages off, the subframe, exhaust, etc. Jack the quad up so the subframe rests as low as possible.

Use a sawzall with metal cutting blade. Cut a slice on each side of the engine through the sleeve and pivot bolt being as careful as possible not to nick the engine. Once these two cuts are done, you will now be able to remove the engine.

Once the engine is removed, the right side piece of the swingarm bolt will fall out.

On the left side, you will need to carefully use a Dremel to shave away the bolt head. Once you do, that side will fall out.

I've had the most luck with solid stainless steel pivot bolt. I've done grease zerks in the stock one which stops it from seizing but it doesn't fix the bending problem.

Scro
01-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Molycoating a swingarm bolt will also help to prevent it from seizing.

bert400
02-03-2010, 04:30 PM
I "caked" mine with anit seize and after every ride I try and loosen the nut a little and turn the bolt a couple times...it hasnt even started to seize on me yet!