PDA

View Full Version : AC racing grabb bar fitment

croat1
01-18-2010, 08:21 AM
anyone have issues with ac racing grab bars fitting. i purchased a 86/87 wide grab bar and a 88/89 cooler grab bar. the wide grab bar is 3/8 too narrow to fit correctly. the cooler rack is 3/4 too narrow. i conacted ac racing customer support and the response was: grab bars baically warp/pull out of size when made. they told me to pull them apart (like a wishbone to fit). hey ac racing i have something you can pull. just venting a little. my opinion is that if they had it jigged/fixtured correctly and they watched how they welded they would not pull/warp.

i will never purchase ac racing products ever again

thing is i had a 86/87 ac standard grab bar and it fits fine

heres a pic of the 88/89

troybilt
01-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by croat1
anyone have issues with ac racing grab bars fitting. i purchased a 86/87 wide grab bar and a 88/89 cooler grab bar. the wide grab bar is 3/8 too narrow to fit correctly. the cooler rack is 3/4 too narrow. i conacted ac racing customer support and the response was: grab bars baically warp/pull out of size when made. they told me to pull them apart (like a wishbone to fit). hey ac racing i have something you can pull. just venting a little. my opinion is that if they had it jigged/fixtured correctly and they watched how they welded they would not pull/warp.

i will never purchase ac racing products ever again

thing is i had a 86/87 ac standard grab bar and it fits fine

heres a pic of the 88/89

I had the same issue with Roll bumper I bought from you... I agree if it pulls in when welding then set up the fixture wider to compensate, we do this all of the time... common sense if you as me...

deathman53
01-18-2010, 10:05 AM
every grab bar I ever owned I had to do that. It didn't matter who made it.

croat1
01-18-2010, 11:23 AM
hey troy: you know what was interesting about that roll bumper: it had an ac racing full catalog in the original box. not sure if it was still in there when i sent it to you. just thought of this now. ims/roll must have sub'd the work to ac racing.

on another note: if you look at the pic in this post it is definitely not going to fit even if i pull it. the grab bar is just made too narrow. cannot see how it is going to pull 3/4 of an inch

rayman375
01-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Just pull it apart and put it on, it'll be fine.

infamous
01-18-2010, 12:21 PM
I say cut out 3/4" from the frame and re-weld it then you won't have any problems with the grab bar...J/K

I would try to pull it apart if I were you, the only thing is that after you pull it and have it on there it may look warp and off center from the rear.

danhung11
01-18-2010, 01:25 PM
It's gotta be the frame! I'd take it off your hands if it gets too frustrating. :D

red88r
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
It will go on there...mine was just like that. The only thing is when you move it once it is started on the end-it wants to either scratch the bar or your frame. You just pull outwards and guide it on...or you can use a rubber mallet. I think AC Racing should supply some tools to install their stuff. Like a welder, grinder hammer...lol

ballzdeep38
01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
I have the stock style grab bar from AC on my 87 and the fit was off too. basically had to use the bolts to bend it into the right shape. i thought about ordering another one but its a grab bar, so i put it on and called it a day.

on a side note. AC is notorious for selling/ sending out products that either:
A) dont fit.
B) are missing parts (like nets for the nerf bars)
C) are missing the hardware to install it.
D) have the wrong parts in the box
or
E) All of the above.

i worked in a shop and we carried AC, Pro Armor, White Bros., and Bling Star on hand. I would go out of my way to sell any product other than AC due to the fact that AC had an extremely high return rate due to the problems listed above. its a very hit or miss company. some stuff fits great, others are flat out junk. my AC grab bar was the last thing i bought from them. after that my swingarm skid came from White Bros. and my nerfs will probably end up coming from Burgard or somewhere else.

lost wages
01-18-2010, 07:01 PM
my ac grab bar is the same, i just hooked one end under the floor jack and the other on the floor jack pad and jacked it up enough to open it.

croat1
01-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by danhung11
It's gotta be the frame! I'd take it off your hands if it gets too frustrating. :D

good one dan:) yeah i figured the frame was going to be off so i ordered the second frame as a spare. hahahahahaha:D

danhung11
01-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by croat1
good one dan:) yeah i figured the frame was going to be off so i ordered the second frame as a spare. hahahahahaha:D

thanks! Can you blame me for trying? :p

my personal experience is bad with AC, had two sets of propegs for correct model and both times they were off. I was told from AC that the aluminum has a hard time holding shape after bending, but your grabbar doesn't have any bends there. Go figure!

BTW - you get my vmail regarding Laegers?

Dan