View Full Version : anyone ever built their own guitar?

RideRed04
01-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Heh...sorry, this is a bit off topic, but its the open forum so there. I am going to build a strat, and have about $500 to use. Is it worth it to get a genuine fender body/neck? I want to use tex-mex pickups, and am planning on a maple neck with a royal blue (preferably transparent) finish on body and a black pearl pick guard...I'll put up pics when its done.

RideRed04
01-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Update:

Photoshop rendition of finished product.

Quadfather
01-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Look in the back of magazines like Guitar Player and such. You will find many companies, such as Mighty Might, that offer guitar componants. You will pay out the wazoo for original Fender body/necks, unless you find some cheap on ebay. Don't scrimp on pickups.

RideRed04
01-22-2003, 08:09 PM
I plan on runing fender tex-mex pickups, and can get a deal on them. One of my freind's family owns a music store. My dad does cabnet making for some big names, so he is awsome with finishes, so I'm going to get a natural body from warmoth or us custom guitars. Not sure what I am doing for a neck, but I'll probably get one from the same place as the body or off e-bay.

NJ300ex
01-23-2003, 04:17 PM
The pickups and wiring are not something to cheap out on. Get the good stuff. Ever think of making a fat strat?

The transparent finishes look really cool. My brother's guitar is black transparent.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-23-2003, 04:32 PM
(sp)
semore-duncan
pick-ups sound good in the strat/tele type models,
use something like a EMG for an ibanez style body

quadridermx
01-23-2003, 06:07 PM
I bought a fender a while back... but then pretty much rebuilt it from scratch. I play a lot of Van Halen type music, so the stock configuration wasnt for me...

It has dual humbucking dimarzio's (steve morse edition, $100 a piece), a custom pick guard, and a custom paint job by me! :cool:

The dual humbuckers sound really good. They are pretty hot, but still have overall good tone, especially the neck pickup. If you build one from scratch, I agree with these guys, dont skimp on the electronics. That's what makes or breaks a guitar.

EvilJester400EX
01-23-2003, 06:49 PM
i would get a Seymour Duncan invader style pickup, and maybe use Fender Style single coils.

RideRed04
01-24-2003, 05:59 PM
I've been doin some thinking, and I think the way its going to be is a sd hot rail in the middle position and tex-mex's on the neck and bridge...I just love those pickups. If you guys havent played a strat with the texmex pickups...dang. SRV used them, sweet stuff. I almost made an srv replica, but decided that I was going to do my own thing.

kk03_250ex
01-25-2003, 12:11 AM
Check out the pick-ups at www.torresenginnering.com. Dan Torres hand winds pick-ups, also check out the Lindy Fralin pick-ups at the same site. I have Lindy Fralin pick-ups in my Telecaster and they are 1000% better than the original Fender pick-ups. My Strat has the original Fender pick-ups, two single coil and one humbucker "Fat Strat".

Here are three of my seven "babies"!

RideRed04
01-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Wow, those are sweet looking, do you have pictures of the whole collection?

kk03_250ex
01-26-2003, 05:23 PM
By the way I did build a guitar once, in High School Woodshop in 1975. At that time there weren't alot of readily available bodies or necks so I hand made the whole thing, it was never playable though.

This is not a great pic, if you want a better one email me.

Top row left to right: Esteban Martin D-35 copy (a gift I would never have bought it myself), Carvin CM-96 (main working guitar I've played thousands of gigs with this one), Takamine Acoustic/Electric (great guitar), 1960's Fender MusicMaster Bass
Bottom Left to right: Custom Fender Telecaster (great for country music), Fender Stratocaster (great all around guitar), Gibson Les Paul Flametop (great for Rock-n-Roll, very loud!), my daughter's Silvertone Acoustic.

You can also see my two 1950's Fender amps and a 1980's Carvin amp. All tube, all good!

I've been playing in bands for nearly 30 years, since I was 14, every kind of music you can imagine, just so I could be playing! Funk, disco, country, heavy metal, R & B, all original, pop and my favorite, just plain old rock-n-roll. Obviously I've spent all my money on guitars, that's why I'm just now getting into the quad world.

RideRed04
02-03-2003, 04:13 PM
hehehe...it begins!!! The body is amazing...if anyone is thinking about building one, definatly check out www.usacustomguitars.com.

SGA
02-03-2003, 07:04 PM
I play guitar a little. Heres a Harmony H80 and Crate amp i picked up for $100 total. I did a little fine tuning on it, adjusted pickups, intonation, etc. Sounds pretty good actually. I'm going to add shielded wiring inside soon. The son snagged it, off to his room, LOL.

RideRed04
02-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Haha..cheap guitars are the best. If you notice the squire in the edge of the picture...that is our new project. We tore it all down and reversed the wiring on the pickups, and added in a switch. I dont know what it did, but man oh man, did it add balls. If anyone is intrested, I'd think about drawing up a schematic for it...crazy distortion. My friend who is a die hard humbucker guy was amazed at the power we got from my squier.

YLW400
02-04-2003, 07:55 PM
I have a Squier myself..I'll tell you what, for a 200.00 guitar, you cannot beat it. The action on that thing is incredible. I have played American Strats that dont play that good. Gimme a sec and I will post a couple of my guitars.

YLW400
02-04-2003, 08:12 PM
I had to take some pics real quick, they aren't the best, but you get the idea.

YLW400
02-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Here are the two noise makers I use the most.

My Squier Strat and my Gibson Les Paul Jr. Lite...(double cut away)

RideRed04
02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Yeah, my squire does better then alot of more expensive guitars, but that still doesnt change the fact that the action isnt so good and the neck is designed for a 12 year old:( Some squires get the luck of the draw, and are put together nice...some, not so good. Well, finish goes on tomorrow or the next day (sanding sealer and base coat), and then doing clear coats for the next week after. I'll get some pics once it starts looking good.

YLW400
02-05-2003, 06:19 AM
Well thats what we get for a mass produced guitar I guess.

SGA
02-05-2003, 10:53 AM
I see some of you have alot of experience playing guitar. I have not been playing long and have been learning on a electric. Well, I wanted a acoustic and went to the music store I trusted. They are really great people there. Well, I explained what I wanted, used with a good sound. He suggested this Ovation Celebrity CS247 Electric/Acoustic. I really got a good deal on it. About $250. What do all of you in the know think of Ovation? I do notice it tends to slide a bit more on your leg than a standard guiter, because of the rounded back. The sound is good, great when hooked up to the amp. Maybe I should have gone with a Ibanez acoustic?
I can take it back and trade for another guitar if I am not happy. I just need to play some on it I guess. About the only thing I really do not like is how rough the new strings are I put on. Epiphone bronze wound-light .012-.052. They do a number on my fingers. I guess I am used to the smooth strings on the electric. I think I may pick up a set Di'Addario phosphor bronze. They seem to be a popular choice for acoustic. Are the smoother? All help will be appreciated. Thanks, Howard

UglyMotha™
02-05-2003, 10:57 AM
i want a frozen beverage machine in my room:(

YLW400
02-05-2003, 10:57 AM
I personally like Ovation. I have a very old Ovation...well about 20 years old anyway. But the bridge broke off of the body and the body varnish is all cracked up. Been through heck and back. It was my brothers when he was young, it has the frets filed. HE used to play classical. Not my thing, but he was an excellent finger picker. For that price, I don't think you went wrong at all. They do have a distinct sound to them.I like it though like I said. My next acoustic will be a Taylor. And the thing with the strings, the reason they are tearing up your fingers probably, they are too light. I only play medium. For acoustic I use Martin Marquis, they are cheap and decent strings. I need to restring all of guitars one day, they are all dead. As far as the guitar sliding on your leg, thats just one of the things about the roundback Ovation. Hope I helped a little bit. YLW

SGA
02-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Thank you, yes, you have helped alot. The problem with the strings is when I slide my fingers on the 5th and 6th strings, the windings are rough. I suppose it will just take some time to build up some callouses on my finger tips. heres another pic. Also, i lucked up yesterday. I was given a harmony 1963 tube amp, twin 12 inch speakers. 2 channels. Has a nice sound.

Castor-426ex
02-05-2003, 11:23 AM
ovation makes a good guitar...i personally am a fan of Takamine..and i own three...pics soon..

Sga you could have the action of the neck set for your comfort which would probably help your fingers in the long run..you can do this yourself but its a pain...it sets the distance from the string to the fret. Most Ovations are usually set to a medium action from the factory...
I use elixir strings..they are polymer coated..and last a long time..and they are in my opinion the best string ever...i have owned a couple ovations...a celebrity and a limited edition 12 string they make good instruments...

RideRed04
02-05-2003, 03:52 PM
That ovation is a beatiful instrument! I have a '77 alverez acustic..love that thing. I've turned down offers of over $500 for it...on guy told me to name my price. I told him its not for sale. Too much history in that thing to sell it. I run earny ball hybrids on my acustic and electrics. When the alverez needs new strings, I'm going to get some special acustic strings for it. I'm not sure what kind yet...I like to try a few different kinds before I decide. The earny's rock on the electric. They take a while to get fully streched..but will last forever. I can bend the high e up to the a string and do a dive bomb with the trem, and they just take it. The squier usually doesnt, but after they get stretched, it stays in tune pretty good.

danyeo
02-05-2003, 05:28 PM
All right, when I'm not on quad forums i am on Guitar forums. As far as parts i would say look into Warmoth, they make top-notch necks and bodies and shouldn't be too expensive. I have been playing for about 18 years and have owned too much to list, right now i have a PRS custom22, a PRS single cut, both of these are sunburst. Both times i bought these i was out looking for a nice Gibson Les Paul and stumbled onto these and i love them. I have a Custom Deluxe Strat which looks like a Buddy Guy model, Sorry i dont have any pics right now.
Amp wise i have:
VHT Pitbull UL with EQ
Mesa Boogie MArkIIc+
Boogie dc-5
Marshall 4x12, 1968 with Pre-Rola Greenbacks
2x12 Boogie with V30's
and a few beat up acoustics
I play out just about every Friday and Saturday night in NJ,NY,Conn, mostly.

danyeo
02-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Hey SGA, that Ovation looks nice. Just keep playing and your fingers will get used to it. I always like practicing on acoustic that way when you pick an electric it seems so easy. PLaying on acoustic will get your strength up.

SGA
02-05-2003, 06:54 PM
When it rains it pours. Was talking to a friend about guitars. He has this one, told me to take it and play it awhile, with a option to buy if I like it. Its a Ibanez, and it sounds great. I can get alot of sounds out of it with the pickups on it, smooth to harsh. I do like it, Its seems easy to play to me. Whats your opinion on Ibanez? I hear they are good. Heres a pic.

quadridermx
02-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Well... I re-finished my guitar again, lol. The Blue was getting kind of old so I went with a pearloid pickguard and refinished it in red.

My strat is a nice guitar, but I personall like the LP style guitars. They seem to play real nice and sure are a lot easier to deaden the strings if you play any rock. Just my opinion though.

What do you guys think of the color scheme? Anything look dumb on it that I should fix?

quadridermx
02-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Oh, and by the way... for any of you looking for a nice amp, I am VERY pleased with my Behringer.

I originally got the 1-10 model, then tried the 2-10 model, but needed a little more punch so i went with the 1-12 model, and I am extremely happy with the performance of it.

It is the Behringer GX 1-12 model, has over 30 different digital effects, 99 different sounds, and also sounds GREAT when on clean channel.

All for $200. As far as price/performance goes, this is one of the best IMO.

SGA
02-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Here is Spoon

RideRed04
02-06-2003, 09:14 PM
I have to get a new picture of the squire...me and my freind got bored, so we threw in a humbucker and a semore duncken single coil that he had laying around...this thing is a tone monster now! I'm impressed with what the little thing can do!

SGA
02-06-2003, 09:33 PM
quadridermx, you did a great job! Looks real nice. Attaboys all the way around.

RideRed04
02-10-2003, 04:02 PM
I decided to relic the body...pictures on the way!

RideRed04
02-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Alright...take a deep breath, here we go:

My squire, Basura, with the humbucker in the bridge (yes, it has balls now)

RideRed04
02-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Here is the bodies (my strat and my friends wolfgang) before we did our damage. One of these I made sure to get the nacho machine in for ugly.

RideRed04
02-10-2003, 04:15 PM
mine before the relic job

RideRed04
02-10-2003, 04:16 PM
close up of the wolfgang after we did our work

RideRed04
02-10-2003, 04:17 PM
The bodies how they are now, 10 more coats of clear to go.

blondie69
02-10-2003, 05:01 PM
my brother has a Gibson Les Paul........sorry i dun have a pic....when i get film i'll take a pic of it. he also has sum Amp dat cost at least $3000.......my parents bought it 4 him, grrrrr, lol

NJ300ex
02-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Looks gabbagreat. It looks old and used for sure.

Are putting in pickups hard? My friends who play guitar want new pickups,but don't want to pay to get them put in and I have a soldering iron. Is it simple to do?

RideRed04
02-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Putting in pickups is really easy. Just take out the old ones, melt the solder, and wire the new ones in the same way the old ones where. I actually switched the wires on my pickups (lead and ground) and it seemed to give it some extra nuts...not sure if it was from that or not.

RideRed04
02-12-2003, 07:07 PM
She'll be comin round the mountain when she comes!

SGA
02-12-2003, 09:58 PM
That guitar is vintage old school!! Or at least it looks that way...;)
My latest news. I practice about 1 hour a day. I still suck, but can hear myself playing better bit by bit. I'm looking at a small practice amp, a marshall MG15DFX or MG30DFX. I've read good things about them at harmony central.com and music gear review.com.. Real good sound, from blues to rock, clean sounds, even overdriven they say. I'm going this weekend to listen to one.
I'm leaning towards playing electric, I would probably be bored on a acoustic by now, it just does not give the sound i'm looking for. Rock, blues, & twangy old country :D

RideRed04
02-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Whew! Finally done! Man, if anyone is thinking about doing it, do it! This has been the most rewarding project I have ever done. I am typing with the thing in my lap right now...man this thing has tone!

thelegendarycd
02-24-2003, 09:28 PM
sga-i've got an mg30dfx. i play an epiphone les paul and its great. if you're looking into that amp i use it to screw around and it works great for me. go for it.

SGA
02-26-2003, 07:41 AM
RideRed04, you did a good job! I like how the wood grain shows through.
Got a new amp recently. Fender blues Jr. All Tube. Man, this thing has deep rich tone! Not really for screaming metal though, but i'm not into that. I run a ts 9 tube screamer in front of it. Had a line 6 spider 112, but it pooped out in about 4 days, took it back. had alot of features. I tried some behringers, they sound good. Check out a behringer gm110 vintiger. about $100. Great sound for the price.

SGA
02-26-2003, 07:49 AM
Heres a 1966 tube amp someone gave me. I'm doing some repairs on it. Two channel, Tube rectifier and tremelo, 2) 12ax7 preamp tubes, 2) el84 power tubes. 2 jensen C12r speakers. Cant wait to get it going.

RideRed04
02-26-2003, 05:26 PM
tube amps are just yummy!:D If you want an amp with some balls try out a peavy special 212....very nice amp. It uses the trans-tube in it, which makes it sound like a tube amp, without the drawbacks. Thanks for the compliments on the guitar, I really like how its the only one like it, and set up just how I want it. Its too bad the flame on the neck doesnt show up in the pictures, its awsome.

RUFIO
02-26-2003, 07:45 PM
I just got my Fender Strat...Love it..hopefully get some pictures up tommarow

rock on :devil

quadridermx
02-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Just got a new axe today... plays like a dream! Great tone and overall sound.

It has solid mahogany body and neck with a quilted maple top. I didnt think the body material made a very big difference, but wow! The solid mahogany with the tone-pros locking bridge really has a nice sound.

Well anyway, here's a pic!

quadridermx
02-27-2003, 08:18 PM
One more.... :D

RideRed04
02-28-2003, 02:40 AM
Wow,,,that is one sexy lp!

Quadfather
02-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Here's my favorite guitar I've ever owned.

Quadfather
02-28-2003, 03:10 PM
and another

Quadfather
02-28-2003, 03:16 PM
and another

Quadfather
02-28-2003, 03:25 PM
and another

Quadfather
02-28-2003, 03:32 PM
and another