PDA

View Full Version : Help on quad purchase

trax28to
01-17-2010, 07:57 PM
I've got a 8 year old that is going to start racing this year...He has a 06 trx 90..His 5 year old brother is getting his first quad next month..My 5 year old rides his older brothers 90 really well so I'm thinking of sticking with the 90's...I thought I would switch it up with the brands but dont know much about the others beside the honda...Is polaris and drr the same..? What does everyone recommend if I was going to get something they could race..? thanks

CRBOGGAN
01-17-2010, 09:31 PM
My 8 year old loves his drr. He started on a ltz90 and then moved to drr. I called hotquads, loolkids,g-force,and several other dealers that sold other brands. everyone was very helpful and told pros and cons about all they sold. We went with a drr90 from Marc at HOTQUADS and have been very happy with the quad and service. G-force sent me to hotquads because it was closer to my house. So dealer location is somthing to look at also it is nice to call for parts on Mon and get them Tue and not pay next day shiping cost.

coffing918
01-20-2010, 05:53 AM
drr or apex for a 90 and is the 5 year old going to be racing if so i dont think he cant race a 90 yet

swamp
01-20-2010, 06:03 PM
just build the honda more now less later

typhoons are ok and way cheaper also can put honda motor on it

EthansDad
01-21-2010, 07:16 PM
yes, what CRBoggan said on brand and dealers is a good starting point.

My $.02 is figure our FIRST what you plan on having him race in terms of what series/style etc. Next, I'd recommend getting your hands on the rules for that series and see if there are any age limited on motor size. Might also take a peek at the points standing for the class you would run and see what brand is winning that class. that is a good clue!

Our 5 yr old runs a DRR 50, and I'll tell you that DRR 50 will run circles around a polaris 90. no comparison. I'd personally put a younger rider on a smaller bike and let them master it before I starting to up the motor size. It will likely take him a better part of a year to start holding that throttle on that 50 wide open all the time at which point he might be ready for a 70 or 90.

swamp
01-21-2010, 09:16 PM
we ran a drr our first season until the last two races of our series

then we swithed to a honda 90..

our drr just was costing a crap load of time and money to keep it going

we built a motor with tb parts threw in some new clutches only thing i had to do on a regular basis was tighten the chain and change the oil

three races after finishing the honda she was running in the front of the pack.. we would park the bike change the oil and that was it.

plus i had a friend of mines son running the bike for the last three races cause he sold his to buy a super mini.

kids are going to have to learn how to shift one day if the stay with it....

you can find a good used one for the same price of a new drr
now i do have a friend that just had a billy holt special built and it is faster than our honda not much and not out of the gate but on the big end it pulls away from us but,, last weekend he made 8 laps and the clutch blew apart..... and right around the apex she went

just my two cents

EthansDad
01-22-2010, 07:20 PM
swamp, good points on learning the shifter. I don't know the honda mini, but believe them to be true from what you are saying. I think though that trax is talking about his 5 yr old getting his first go fast quad, not his 8 yr old. I'm sure some 5 yr olds could get shifting and do well, but the 5yr/junior riders I've seen on shifters fall quickly to the back of the pack against DRRs or APEX quads.

I think at that age, they need to focus on the fundamentals of riding and an auto/cvt quad is the answer. Also at that age, doing well comes into play. if they can run competitive against riders their own age, then they'll have enough interest in the sport to learn shifting when the time is right.

desratt
01-25-2010, 03:33 PM
usually gotta be on a 50 if 5 years old ...my 4 year old runs a drr but I want to try him on a ltz just for the ergonomics reason..

swamp
01-25-2010, 07:08 PM
kids learn faster than you could imagine..... about a month of figure eights in the yard and they will have it...... i would have liked to start on a honda just didnt no any better