PDA

View Full Version : sidewall hole

11-25-2001, 11:48 AM
Can a sidewall gash, about 3/4" tongue shaped, be patched.

We tried to plug it but there was no way it would hold.

I'm thinking of bringing it to a gas station to let them patch it from the inside.

There is still some good life on the tire.

Evan
11-25-2001, 12:23 PM
Should be. I had a inch long gash on my sidewall on my Scrambler tire that my tire shop patched and it is holding fine.

kc 300EX
11-25-2001, 01:19 PM
I suggest u get a good patch on the inside, then get a tube, this way the patch isnt holding any air, just stopping the tube from poking out

11-26-2001, 06:52 PM
The gas station said it would never hold.

The dealer said it needs a tube. and not a patch at all. He also said I could buy one stocker for $80.

Should have it back tomorrow.

crday98
11-27-2001, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by QuadKid250EX
The gas station said it would never hold.

The dealer said it needs a tube. and not a patch at all. He also said I could buy one stocker for $80.

Should have it back tomorrow.

you could put a chemical or even a regular patch on the inside and a tube in it and it will last.the gas station is wrong,they think every tire is a car tire where in that case it would not hold but on a quad tire that holds 3-5 PSI it would hold.i have patched one of my stock tires,it has 2 patches covering 2 holes,one is almost an inch long the other about 1/2 an inch.the other tire has a hole that is 3/4" long and i had to plug it because the hole is on the corner of the tire.i have 8 plugs in it and it does not even have a slow leak.the other i have to fill up once every 2 weeks if i decide to ride with the stockers.