PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Honda4LifeWes36
01-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Well I'm in a bad situation. Back in the summer I rolled my quad and the only thing (I think) I busted was the oil tank which I replaced. It still ran afterwards and then I stopped riding for awhile. Next time I went out there to start it, it wouldn't. So I tried to work on it and find the problem but that was no use because I didn't get it running lol. Now it's winter and I know there cold blooded but I have cranked and cranked on it. I don't think its the spark plug and when I crank it over, I give it a little gas and I can smell the gas so I don't think and I hope it's not a carb problem.

Can you guys help me out all? Tell me what to check, etc.??

novacain44
01-17-2010, 09:00 PM
make sure you have good fuel in it pull plug out make sure there is good hot spark if u can put it in a worm garage put a bat charger on it on 20 or 30 amp and then crank away and thats just were to start my 400 sounds like it cranking plenty fast when its cold but sometimes wont fire as soon as i put charger on for a sec it fires right up as for the fuel my bike sat for a couple of months and i tried fireing it and it wouldnt start emptied the tank put new fuel it fired right up

Oz24
01-18-2010, 08:39 AM
If the above stated doesnt work, drain the float bowl on the carb and get whatever gas is left out. try to fire it again if nothing take the carb apart and clean it out. You could some something stuck in it that is realy small but is blocking it. My sons quad did that but only because he doesnt like to listen when i told him to stay out of the ocean water. It had sea salt stuck in it. Fires right up now. Just my .02 cents worth good luck

bigbad400
01-18-2010, 08:54 AM
sounds to mee like you forgot to put the spark plug boot back on. lol

change the gas and if it dont work push or pull start it. i doubt it has a plugged anything if you smell gas. throw a new plug in just to be safe you didnt foul it out.

my only other thaught is that you have an extremely dirty air filter and its choking it out and flooding it. clean the filter and if you have an outerwears you need to clean that too i had one plugged that looked clean. use a solvent on both filter and sleeve, like purple power cleaner or castrol super clean. and let it soak but not dry, rinse it out for a while with real hot water to get all the soap and oils out

Honda4LifeWes36
01-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try that.

The boot on the spark plug is on there good I'm pretty sure. As for the fuel, yeah, I will probably need to change it and put new in. I have an outerwears filter w/ no sleeve and I'll try cleaning that. Thanks! And no, my garage is not heated. GRR.

Is there just a hose on the bottom side of the gas tank that you pull out to drain the gas out? (I know, noob question)

Plus, I tried to bump start it with a guy pulling me and it just sounded like it was constantly cranking with the tires locking up. I dont know what the DEAL is!!

Honda4LifeWes36
01-28-2010, 05:05 PM
bump

Ntensweapon
01-28-2010, 08:52 PM
check ur kill switch??
where are you in iowa?

honda400ex2003
01-28-2010, 09:05 PM
you could put a space heater on it for a while and see if that helps along with a charger to keep it cranking, a new plug, new gas. if it doesnt start pull the carb and clean it out. after that clean the filter if you havent already, other than that you are pretty limited, check the compression, see how it is, check for spark, check the cdi, make sure your switches are working, make sure you have power all over it, check the coil if you dont get spark, there really isnt that many things that can happen to it while it is just sitting there. steve

mitchamus
01-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Make sure you do have gas in the tank, and also make sure the gas is on or on reserve if low.

Also do yourself a favor change your plug only 2bucks.

rob_990
01-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Honda4LifeWes36
Thanks guys. I'll try that.

Is there just a hose on the bottom side of the gas tank that you pull out to drain the gas out? (I know, noob question)

theres a hose on the left side of the tank right by the the fuel/reserve thing.theres also a tube that runs out of the bottom of the carb that you can drain the gas from.you just loosen a flat head screw.its on the left side

novacain44
01-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Just take the hose off the carb from yer tank hang it over the side into a jug and drain it that way thats the only way other than taking the tank off and turning it over

Honda4LifeWes36
02-01-2010, 06:21 PM
WOW I should have listened to you guys but I didnt even think it would be the spark plug but I checked her earlier today and it was shot. Getting a new one tomorrow and she should fire er up.

Now I just gotta get new right side plastics (the black part, and I know one thing after another). Anyone know what that right side plastic piece would cost??

honda400ex2003
02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
good to hear that you got it figured out. a new side cover from bike bandit is 46.97. you may be able to find a used one on ebay or something for cheaper depending on if you want a new one or not. steve

Honda4LifeWes36
02-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Dang, I hate how expensive those darn plastics are. But Thanks!!

honda400ex2003
02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
no prob. steve

novacain44
02-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Like stated obove get on ebay ive been on there the last couple days and there are ample amounts of the side plates some are prety cheap too

Honda4LifeWes36
02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Yes, good stuff on Ebay. I'll have to keep looking around. I see there are a lot of plastics but just aren't exactly my quads year (2003)

...Anyone know what years will fit the '03 style. ??

honda400ex2003
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
all styles except the 08-09 with the newest style fenders will work. the side covers are the same even with the upgraded 05+ style since they only modified the fender shape and the light mount. the backs and the side covers are the same. steve

JOHNDOE83
02-03-2010, 02:51 AM
you only need three things to make a motor run. fuel, spark, air. if you have all three, good gas and gas flow, spark, air theres no reason it shouldnt run even if the carb is clogged up a lil bit it will still run with these three things. it may not run well without a full cleaning but it will start. double check all kill switches and those three things and see if it starts.

Honda4LifeWes36
02-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I got it man. Thanks!