PDA

View Full Version : Question about THIS Houser swingarm

jkiserracing
01-17-2010, 03:49 PM
I am looking at this swingarm and trying to make sure that it will use my stock shock/gtt link setup. The seller says it "should". He says it doesn't matter weather you use long travel or standard as long as you use the right link. Does this sound right to anyone.

Note: I noticed this must be an older one because it does not have the two linkage mounting holes like they do now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260537522884&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

jkiserracing
01-17-2010, 03:50 PM
pic

d3ktrix
01-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
He says it doesn't matter weather you use long travel or standard as long as you use the right link. Does this sound right to anyone.
[/url]

Yes he is correct, the swing arm doesn't determine the length of the shock, the linkage does.

But not all swingers work with all linkages.
It matters if the swinger is setup to use that manufactures link (like walsh swingers only work with walsh linkages), or if its for a stock link.
And if it is setup for a stock link, it has to be the right year. Either 04-05 or 06+.

And there are LT links that work with swingarms that are meant for stock linkages. Like Elka and LSR.

The GTT linkages are meant for swingarms setup for stock links.

jkiserracing
01-17-2010, 03:56 PM
ok. he had it on his 04/05. I have an 04. I thought that would be the determining factor as well. Im not sure what to do then??

d3ktrix
01-17-2010, 04:00 PM
ok. he had it on his 04/05. I have an 04. I thought that would be the determining factor as well. Im not sure what to do then??

Well he could of been using an 06 shock/link/swinger on his 05 so that doesn't give u a 100% positive answer.
Some people have no idea what is actually on their bike :P

I'm sure someone on here can ID the swinger and tell you what it will work with. I don't know much about houser products.

dads400ex
01-17-2010, 04:05 PM
You can use either a 04-05 GTT linkage and shock or 06 and up GTT linkage and shock on the swing arm but to use a long travel it has to be a houser long travel linkage.

d3ktrix
01-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by dads400ex
You can use either a 04-05 GTT linkage and shock or 06 and up GTT linkage and shock on the swing arm but to use a long travel it has to be a houser long travel linkage.

lol don't listen to this guy.
A swinger would need multiple mounting holes to be able to use both 05 AND 06 links.

...I looked at the other items that guy is selling.
He is selling a 15" eye to eye elka shock and an ST elka link.
So if this was used with that houser swinger it is indeed an 04-05 swingarm.
If it was an 06+ setup the shock would of been 16"+

And in the picture it looks like the swinger has a stock dog bone on it.

If these are the same parts he ran with that swinger, then yes I would say that your 04-05 GTT link will work perfect with it.

jkiserracing
01-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks! I was looking at the other items too. This is kind of what I was thinking too. I just wanted someone else to take a look and give me an opinion on it. Thanks again. I may go ahead and try to buy it.

d3ktrix
01-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Koo, good luck with it.

BTW just so you know, the +1.25" swinger can make the rear shock feel softer/bottom out easier if not valved for it.

Though depending on what kind of riding u do and how much u weigh that might be an advantage :P

dads400ex
01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Whoops my mistake. I had a snappy comeback but then thought about what we did. I forgot that we switched out the swingarm on our 05 for an 06 along with the linkages. sorry for the misinformation. 3 quads can't keep up with them:D

300ex_#387
01-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
But not all swingers work with all linkages.
It matters if the swinger is setup to use that manufactures link (like walsh swingers only work with walsh linkages), or if its for a stock link.
And if it is setup for a stock link, it has to be the right year. Either 04-05 or 06+.

You can use different links with the walsh swingarm unless its the savior setup.

d3ktrix
01-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
You can use different links with the walsh swingarm unless its the savior setup.

Yeah the savior was the 1 of was thinking of.

400exrider707
01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
That is a standard travel 04/05 swinger. You can use a GT Thunder link and stock length shock.

The "LT" swingers are the ones like the Walsh Savior and the Lonestar Outlaw setups.

You can get a standard swinger like this one posted and get something like Elkas LT linkage, but I think it's a joke personally. LT doesn't always mean you're getting more wheel travel, usually it just refers to the shaft travel of the shock.

With the swinger in question here though, its setup for standard length shock.

Smoker
01-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Have you ever ridden a long travel, front and rear quad? I own both and yes, for the money, it may not be worth it but the long travel certainly feels a tad smoother. Long travel should be referred to as long shock, the longer shock allows a longer shock stroke and can be tuned better. I have the same swing arm on my 450 with the Houser link, I had the GTT link before, both worked well, prefer the longer shock with the House link. That's my opinion of it.

Scro
01-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Smoker
Have you ever ridden a long travel, front and rear quad? I own both and yes, for the money, it may not be worth it but the long travel certainly feels a tad smoother. Long travel should be referred to as long shock, the longer shock allows a longer shock stroke and can be tuned better. I have the same swing arm on my 450 with the Houser link, I had the GTT link before, both worked well, prefer the longer shock with the House link. That's my opinion of it.

It will be smoother as long as you know what changes in the compression and rebound will do. If you don't know how to tune a shock, it's easier to get in the ballpark with ST.

A properly tuned ST setup will be leaps and bounds better than a LT setup that isn't tuned correctly.

250RXCrider
01-18-2010, 08:18 PM
I am looking at this swingarm and trying to make sure that it will use my stock shock/gtt link setup. The seller says it "should". He says it doesn't matter weather you use long travel or standard as long as you use the right link. Does this sound right to anyone.

Note: I noticed this must be an older one because it does not have the two linkage mounting holes like they do now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260537522884&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

FYI I had a friend using that swing arm with a GT Thunder link and the shock spring would hit the swing arm at full lock out. I would check with GT thunder as their link was designed to work with the stock honda swing arm. The houser has stock geometry, but has extra gussets in the front area. I run the same swing arm and have used the elka single link and now run the Houser long travel XC link. Hope this helps.

400exrider707
01-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Smoker

Yes I have. I already know the advantages and disadvantages of it. Scro explained it well.

Smoker
01-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Any suspension needs to be properly tuned. It does take a while to get it into that sweet spot and depending on what type of riding, you'll always be tuning a little bit. I know in comparison I'm able to have minor bottoming on an MX track (big hits) and head directly into the woods and it still soaks up all the little stuff. I know it's a money thing with long travel and if you look at the advantages, doesn't seem worth it, but I'll never regret spending the extra dough. I had the spring hit when it bottomed as well, part of why I switched to Houser. I am a fan of the Teixera though, better ground clearance and the design is more progressive. Like most things, boils down to preference and what works. Good luck!

d3ktrix
01-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

You can get a standard swinger like this one posted and get something like Elkas LT linkage, but I think it's a joke personally. LT doesn't always mean you're getting more wheel travel, usually it just refers to the shaft travel of the shock.

Not disagreeing with u on the other statements, but the Elka LT link does actually add 3" of wheel travel.
http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/elkaprolink.html

And I'm glad I have that extra droop when plummeting out of the air when I mess up at the track.
If it wasn't for my LT setup some pretty sure I would have some broken shins by now from dropping like 20ft out of the air onto an almost totally flat transition. lol

I ran a rear GTT setup for a season and no doubt it is a good performing rear. For a while after I switched to LT it kind of felt like a waste until I experienced some really hard landings and 3ft deep whoops in the pit that u didn't know were there. IMO that extra wheel travel is priceless when you ride out of something thinking "I think this setup just saved my spine"

And no doubt, an LT setup that isn't tuned right can be far worse/sloppy and even dangerous then a set of stock revalves.

3leggeddog
01-21-2010, 12:10 PM
did he buy the swinger new?if so,get the part 3 and call Mark at Houser,he will let you know what it is built for.You could also measure the center of the pivot bolt bearings,back to the center of the link mount hole.This will determine if its 04-05,or 06-07.

A swingarm does not determine wheter it is long travel or not.That's all in your link,and shock.The advantages of LT is more then just wheel travel.The progession of the linkage can be much different thorughout the extended travel.Allowing the shock to be valved differently.This,for example on the Honda,can eliminate that awful buck they have off the face of a jump.There is a whole new game with spring rates,and valving when you compare LT-ST.

The new houser swingers for the Honda's have both 04-05 and 06-07 mounting points.That one only has one so it is year specific.If you run an 06-07 link and shock on a 04-05 you will have extremly low ride height,and vise-versa.it will fit,but will not be correct.I broke my air box on the swinger of my 05 running a 06-07 Elka link and shock when I was in a pinch once.It just don't work.

If buy the Houser swinger,buy their link too.There is alot to be said for the 2 pieces working together.It's a very good setup.I ran a Motowoz rear shock on my 05 with their swinger and link.(LT) The best setup I have rode yet!

Smoker
01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
[i]
If buy the Houser swinger,buy their link too.There is alot to be said for the 2 pieces working together. [/B]

Agreed, I've been happy with mine, it hooks up like mad and it works really well with what I throw at it. I've seen used Houser links go as low as $75, it wasn't pretty to look at it but once your done with it, it won't anyway.