PDA

View Full Version : engine vin ?

C41Xracer
01-17-2010, 10:56 AM
I know there's a place to check a frame vin. Is there one for an engine vin?

bloodswet&gears
01-17-2010, 11:16 AM
the eng. vin is located between the stator and sprocket at the bottom. is that what you were asking or were you checking if it was stolen? or checking the year?

C41Xracer
01-17-2010, 11:30 AM
To check. If it was stolen

bloodswet&gears
01-17-2010, 11:38 AM
thats a good question. i would like to know also. hope someone knows. i know e-ton has this on their site. good idea!

croat1
01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
hey charlie: be careful buying a motor with no vin number. remember you might have trouble getting a title from the DMV. i went to the DMV in garfield hts. and they did look for the motor vin. then again does you laeger have a vin? one more thing: if i remember correctly i think that replacement side cases did not have a vin number on them. in that case keep all your receipts.....the highway patrol guys will be very picky. they will want to see all the paperwork you have.
we can talk next week when you come by
the motor vin number is on a riveted nameplate bythe shift shaft boss (see the shiney plate in the pic)
later joe

latheboy
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
How can I tell the year by that number?

D Bergstrom
01-17-2010, 08:41 PM
I know on the title I got for my 86, the engine number is on it, so the engine and frame numbers must be tied together somehow.

Coat1 is correct also. I actually bought new cases for my 250R from Honda about two years ago. Never asked for my VIN, so there is no engine number on the left case. This is unusual, as they were supposed to ask for it. I think this was right around the time Honda stopped making cases, so it could be they did not care, or the dealer just made a mistake.

I had to buy new cases for my 450R about a year ago. Honda asked for the VIN then. They did not put a new plate on the left side, but they did put a sticker on the bottom with the number. If there is no plate on yours, look on the bottom for a sticker. Again, the VIN must be tied to the engine number, as I only gave them the VIN, but the number on the sticker on the new case matched the number on the plate of the old case.

Doug

deathman53
01-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I got 2 sets of cases 4 years ago, no number on them. My friend got new cases 10 years ago, not numbers either, nor were they asked for. The new crf/trx cases, they want numbers.

bloodswet&gears
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
macdizzys trx specs tell what year the eng is by the number. the new case dont have a number cause you transfer your old number onto the new case.

C41Xracer
01-18-2010, 03:56 AM
i know there has to be something on the web. to type in the engine vin. to see if its stolen or not. thats what im looking for

croat1
01-18-2010, 07:04 AM
can you go to the local dmv? pm me the number and i can ask my brother in law to check it out. he can also check with the highway patrol (good having law enforcement in the family, too bad i'm always on the other side of the law).

croat1
01-21-2010, 12:00 AM
ran the vin you gave me.....nothing comes up. absolutely no info on it. probably the bike was never titled. have the guy write you a bill of sale and have it notarized (due this at the DMV).
can maybe call honda corporate headquarters in california. they will probable tell you where the bike originally sold from.
good luck
joe