PDA

View Full Version : No laughing please!

Turbo B
01-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Well, hopefully everyone is done laughing at my last post. Yeah I put the carb ( FCR) on upside down:D ! I turned it so the fuel actually flows DOWN to the bowl now, and guess what? It runs!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know what the 39 FCR did for my quad. All I have is a Big Gun slip-on ( hey, what can I say I bought it used) and an aftermarket foam airfilter. Basically, the bottom end punch is great now. It was alright stock, but now it really comes on hard and early. The front end is real light now and wants to lift quickly as you accelerate up through the gears. I now hit the rev limiter like that, and before I never had the sense that I was hitting it at all. I did notice that the top-end is pretty lame though. This might be because I still have the stock header, which I was worried would hamper the top end with this carb. Or, maybe the jetting is a little off and I am not actually hitting the rev-limiter but misfiring? Overall though, the riding experience is really smooth, the idle quality is awesome, and the driveability seems real good. I don't have any stumbles anywhere as some have complained with this carb. Maybe having it upside down for all that time helped! The throttle response is super crisp, better than stock so far as I can tell.

Eventually I will have to go with the X-6 exhaust header to silencer. But for now all I can say is that 39 FCR is a decent mod for the money.

Quadracer5
01-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the information. I've been wondering about that myself for awile now.

Kyle

Sparks425Ex
01-21-2003, 06:38 PM
Great job with the Install man. You gave me a great laugh.

I was gonna tell you in the other post that is was a great momd and you would love it as soon as ya got it working but I just couldn't stop laughin.

You deff brightne up my day.

jay's 300
01-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Upside down huh? That will do it every time! :D Glad you got it working!

thelegendarycd
01-21-2003, 06:45 PM
glad ya like the carb. in your saying the top end is lame you might just have too much carb for the stock head and cam. i'm not sure but i've read that to get the full power out of the fcr that you need to get a cam and some port work. maybe that will help but the x-6 will be a great start.

OutlawEX
01-21-2003, 06:57 PM
lmfao u put ur carb upside down...But hey im glad to hear that u got it on ok:square

Turbo B
01-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by thelegendarycd
glad ya like the carb. in your saying the top end is lame you might just have too much carb for the stock head and cam. i'm not sure but i've read that to get the full power out of the fcr that you need to get a cam and some port work. maybe that will help but the x-6 will be a great start.

I agree that the cam could be the culprit behind the crappy top end. After this carb install, I am going to need a vacation before I attempt the cam swap:p !

sly400ex
01-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Good job man...live and learn, that's how we make things happen.:p

Glamis400ex
01-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Hey, at least you figured it out and fixed it...no biggie. Hopefully someone didn't tell you, you did it wrong....now THAT would be embarrassing

Glamis

siberthugd
01-21-2003, 10:26 PM
He DID have someone tell him it was upside down... LOL... Turbo, we're friends and all... But all I wanna do is laugh in your face right now... (JK) It's almost as bad as Ryan, who left his bike at the shop to get bored out a month ago and it's still not even done. We told him not to go to that "Hack Shack". Oh well, live and learn. I probably wouldn't have even done it without someone who had done it before standing next to me. You got bigger KAHUNAS than me, my friend. Besides, who am I? I only ride a 250EX!... It's just too bad you missed riding on Sunday cuz of his little mishap!

01-21-2003, 11:18 PM
To wake up the top end you deff want a bigger cam. The stk one is designed more for a low end hit.

The port and polish thing is a good idea also but you can do the cam first and still get good results.

Turbo B
01-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
Hey, at least you figured it out and fixed it...no biggie. Hopefully someone didn't tell you, you did it wrong....now THAT would be embarrassing

Glamis

Embarrassing? You don't even know the half of it. I would liken this whole episode to one of those dreams that you have when you're a kid in school. You know the one: you go to school and once you're there you realize that you forgot to get dressed! That pretty much sums up how I feel about this.

Oh well, the good thing is now I have no shame so I'm ready to really rip into my motor and ask all the stupid questions that I can think of!

joeroadking
01-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by siberthugd
He DID have someone tell him it was upside down... LOL... Turbo, we're friends and all... But all I wanna do is laugh in your face right now... (JK) It's almost as bad as Ryan, who left his bike at the shop to get bored out a month ago and it's still not even done. We told him not to go to that "Hack Shack". Oh well, live and learn. I probably wouldn't have even done it without someone who had done it before standing next to me. You got bigger KAHUNAS than me, my friend. Besides, who am I? I only ride a 250EX!... It's just too bad you missed riding on Sunday cuz of his little mishap! siberthug how was the ride sunday, did some people show BRR!!, wish I could have made but was stuck at work :D

nakomis0
01-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Turbo B

Oh well, the good thing is now I have no shame so I'm ready to really rip into my motor and ask all the stupid questions that I can think of!

Yup, no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :)

Bean
01-22-2003, 09:34 PM
live and learn buddy, i have heard many more stupid things, like "my bike wont start", did you check your gas, "yes", i look, and its empty, now that is ignorant, you just made an honest mistake

siberthugd
01-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Joe--- no biggie you couldn't make it. Everyone blew it off. I had a ton of commitments from people and they all ditched it. There was 2 people riding. Oh well, it's the first and LAST time I try to organize a ride. I went and WAITED for people to show at the "meeting spot" at 8:30AM. You figure the least people could do was call the night before to say they can't make it. I'm still a little P.O.'D about it...

joeroadking
01-23-2003, 05:39 AM
siberthug- sorry no one came I would be P.O. the confirmed could have sent you a email as a courtesy, I think the extreme cold played a role in that ,in the spring I will try and get something together, cool of you to make the effort anyway and all though I was not there I thank you for anyway:D

Turbo B
01-23-2003, 05:49 AM
Hey Siberthugd, don't be upset that I couldn't make it. I have the best excuse of anybody: I was too busy installing aftermarket accessories upside down on my motor:devil . I did install my new handlebars properly though. Go figure, I tried to put the bars on upside down at first too, but I had to lean to far over the gas tank to ride it:D !

joeroadking
01-23-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Turbo B
Hey Siberthugd, don't be upset that I couldn't make it. I have the best excuse of anybody: I was too busy installing aftermarket accessories upside down on my motor:devil . I did install my new handlebars properly though. Go figure, I tried to put the bars on upside down at first too, but I had to lean to far over the gas tank to ride it:D ! LOL HA:D

siberthugd
01-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Nah Turbo... you had good reason (your an idiot) and I new in advance you couldn't make it. It s*cked you couldn't go, but oh well... We're not all as smart as you... :D Yeah Joe, the cold probably did play a part, but they only had to call, ya know? Oh well, let me know when you organize something. We found a LEGAL plce to ride on the Cape too!!!! :blah