PDA

View Full Version : 250r clutch questions.....

CHAR250R
01-21-2003, 05:30 PM
This question is for the 250R owners on here. What are you running for a clutch? Stock or aftermarket? I've always put stock Honda clutches in my machines, and have never had a problem. A few years back I installed a Barnett clutch in my 350x. Didn't like it one bit, so I put the stock one back in. How about you guys with big bore motors? I see some 500cc motors on here, what do these machines have in them for clutches? Information and opinions are both helpful. Thanks!

AndrewRRR
01-21-2003, 05:48 PM
I'm running a Barnett dirt digger on the 350r. It seems to hold the power ok so far, but we'll see when I get the motor back (taking it up a few notches :devil ). If you are slipping too much you can get an 8 plate clutch modification which isn't cheap. LRD does them and I'm sure other places do also (www.lrdperformance.com). I haven't tried an EBC in the R and haven't heard many good things about them either.
The easiest way you can get more holding power is just get stiffer clutch springs. Don't get CR500 springs like some people suggest. They are weaker than stock R springs (they have a different clutch design).
If you have an 86-87 and haven't changed over to the '89 clutch update kit you should probably do that also.

beerock
01-21-2003, 06:05 PM
the barnett clutch fibers supposedly eat away at the clutch basket and pput ridges in it fairly fast.

the stock honda clutch is the best thing to use they last longer then the barnett and the ebc.

The 89 update is a very good investment it will keep your clutch adjustment accurate and is a smoother feeling as well.
if you want heavier springs barnett makes them, but

powerslider
01-21-2003, 06:30 PM
I'm running an 8 plate setup from LRD on a 350PV motor, you need the Hinson basket but I think it's a good investment. I'd stay with the stock plates, the clutch pull is not much stiffer than stock but it hooks when ya drop the hammer.....