PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1

cbracing17
01-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I know i'm going to get yelled at for not searching but, Is mobil 1 ok to run in a 03 z400

RIDETHEREJK
01-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Only if it is says it's for motorcycles. If it doesn't, it will allow the wet clutch to slip and wear out.

thedeatons
01-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Not entirely true... People run all sorts of oils with no problems. My father has run some pretty crazy stuff in his 100hp VTR1000 sportbike and never had clutch problems, same with me. Lots of stuff from cheap to expensive.

FYI though, Mobil1 does have a motorcycle oil that is sold at WalMart.

There are different additives for each, but in all my years riding sportbikes I have never seen any engine component suffer from a specific type of oil.

James

riggsracin
01-17-2010, 05:59 PM
just get some rotella its the best for a clutch. ask rekluse clutchs, they rec it for there 600 dollar clutch it works good and is 10 bucks a gallon

RIDETHEREJK
01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by thedeatons
Not entirely true... People run all sorts of oils with no problems. My father has run some pretty crazy stuff in his 100hp VTR1000 sportbike and never had clutch problems, same with me. Lots of stuff from cheap to expensive.

FYI though, Mobil1 does have a motorcycle oil that is sold at WalMart.

There are different additives for each, but in all my years riding sportbikes I have never seen any engine component suffer from a specific type of oil.

James That's what I was saying. He asked about Mobil 1. If it is for motorcycles, then it is okay. But if it is Mobil 1 for cars and trucks, it will burn out the clutch. In general, any enerygy conserving oil will burn out the clutch. There are some exceptions, but unless you know exactly which ones work, don't lead others to think it is okay. I do know that Mobil 1 made the clutch slip in my exgirlfreinds bike. Mobil 1 is great oil, but only for its intended use. I hope this doesn't turn into a fight like all the other oil threads on every other site. That is not my intent.

350ex
01-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I burnt out the clutch in one of my quads from using regular car oil. Dont use it unles it is made for wet clutches... (aka motorcycle oil)