PDA

View Full Version : 250x engine noise

dman66
01-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Is it commcon to here clack,clack, clack,clack, at the engines rocker cover while engine is runnig? The rocker to valve clearance is .0004" and the rockers and valves looked good. I just don't know what a 250x normal sound on the engine is----I thought it would run a little quiter. The engine does have a 12:1 wiesco piston, new rings, stock all else. Thanks guys.

dman66
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
I found out what/why I had engine noise on Sunday. I unloaded my quad at freinds house in Poconos, started her up with no problems, after all warmed up, the quad would bog and automatically engage the choke on engines power. When I tried to take off the engine died. Eventually I open up the rocker cover to recheck timingand found timing jumped. I reset timing and rode for two hours hard. Got it home tried to restart, now I lost compression. Reopened rocker cover only to discover that the timing chain really needed to be replaced - too much slack where the tensioner was engaged all the way. Should have her fixed up this coming weekend. It don't look like anything else was affected. Hope this helps others when they are going through engine build. Sometimes the best way to learn is the hard way....