PDA

View Full Version : Curious about atc 250r case saver boss

fordnut79
01-16-2010, 05:12 PM
For you welders out there

The front sprocket area of our trx- atc 250 r's are prone to breaking around the case saver area. If a person were to mig weld the area around the sprocket boss , with the engine assembled, would the 'arc' jump around the bearing balls area and cause damage?
ALSO, Weld wont stick to copper so could i potentialy screw in a copper bolt to the remnants of the boss and then weld slowly to create a new place to bolt to, then remove said bolt and helicoil it.

Just a thought!

bloodswet&gears
01-16-2010, 08:24 PM
i had mine welded in that area, but i bought the bike with the crank siezed in the cases. he had to weld the piece that the crank cracked at the bottom of the crank case. when i split the cases i didnt have a blind hole bearing puller so i couldnt get one bearing out. it didnt mess that bearing up so im still using it. on the case saver boss we just built the weld up, used a case saver to mark where the hole goes. then cut it down and drilled and tapped the hole. worked out pretty good.

woodsracer144
01-16-2010, 10:29 PM
im sure you could do this, how ever i would take the elect. out of it, and also have the motor pulled, alum is a hard metal to work with, you have to sand off alot of metal cause its has a layer of "rust" on the top of it, just weld in the whole spot, you might find the arc a little different then a normal arc, its best to just fill in the whole spot and then re sand or shape it to look like it should and then re drill and tap it....