PDA

View Full Version : Devistation in Haiti

Quad18star
01-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Surely by now , most everyone has heard and seen the footage of the devistation in Haiti from the earthquake earlier in the week. I think this has put the final nail in the coffin for a country that was already very poor to start with.

One thing that is heartwarming however, is to see how many countries can come together and work together in a time of crisis.

My fiance was supposed to go to Haiti to teach for 2 weeks and do humanitarian work , but I had convinced her not to ... I am greatful that she didn't go.

If you can spare a few dollars , I think the donations to organizations such as the Red Cross will go a long way in helping the people of the country.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

250r rider 88
01-16-2010, 04:41 PM
very sad

also for everyones info:

from what i was told UPS will ship up to a 50 pound box of clothing and possibly other items FOR FREE

if you have old clothes that dont fit or are "a little worn out" im sure you can spare getting rid of them for people who have only the shirts on their backs

my family will be sending out a few boxes first thing this week

also actor Kevin Bacons charity organization Six Degrees is donating too and has a list of other charities donating

sixdegrees.org

250r rider 88
01-16-2010, 04:43 PM
heres the link to UPS, as of right now they are limiting packages going into Haiti to just aid packages from countries

UPS is donating money until the shipments can be opened up again so have your packages ready to go

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/about/news/service_updates/2010013_earthquake_ht.html

SRH
01-16-2010, 05:12 PM
ive yet to see much footage but what i did see looked awful, heard there was crushed childrens and a decapatated baby laying in the rubble

hondariderdylan
01-16-2010, 06:41 PM
a local radio station offered 10 bucks for every text they recieved in an effort to get relief.

250r rider 88
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
glad to see some of the fortunate giving money to this cause,

Sandra Bullock donated 1 million dollars
the NFL donated 1 million, i would however like to see the players donating

i figure with the NFL starting it off, the NBA and other large organizations will follow

250r rider 88
01-16-2010, 06:53 PM
you can also text HAITI to 90999 and it will charge $10 to your cell phone bill to be donated, will work with all cell phone carriers

Quad18star
01-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by 250r rider 88
glad to see some of the fortunate giving money to this cause,

Sandra Bullock donated 1 million dollars
the NFL donated 1 million, i would however like to see the players donating

i figure with the NFL starting it off, the NBA and other large organizations will follow

I heard tonight that some basketball player was going to match dollar for dollar all money raised at a game. I can't remember who it was.

Brad and Angelina donated 1 million.

Tiger woods donated somewhere along the lines of 3.7 million

NHL donated 100 000 to UNICEF

mini racer #39
01-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Service Update

UPS is providing financial support and emergency logistics assistance to help survivors of the devastating earthquake in Haiti. We are working with relief organizations to transport much needed supplies and food to the area. If you wish to donate to the relief efforts, UPS encourages you to work directly with the following organizations:
The American Red Cross - www.redcross.org
CARE - www.care.org
UNICEF - www.unicef.org

UPS is not accepting shipments from individuals or local organizations due to the logistics challenges in Haiti. Service will resume as soon as conditions allow. Shipments to Haiti made prior to the earthquake are temporarily being held at UPS facilities in Miami.