PDA

View Full Version : Aged Tires a Driving Hazard

XCRacer236
01-16-2010, 10:36 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

<DRS>GPF
01-16-2010, 12:56 PM
hmmm.. interesting..

i cant see why the tire industry would fight it..
its a win/win/win for them..
they come out looking like they care, asking the govt. to set an age limit, then as a favor they can happily sell you another set that theyve made with the recycled materials from the tires they get for free.

as an alternative, im suprised manufacturers cant just create a "storage environment standard" for new/unused tires.
perhaps they already have one and most distributers dont know or care about it.

on a related note, im suprised that selling used tires is still allowed for the same reason.
you cant resell a baby carseat, but you can resell the tires for the vehicle the baby is going in.

fastredrider44
01-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF

you cant resell a baby carseat, but you can resell the tires for the vehicle the baby is going in.

What? Are you serious?

ridered11
01-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Definitely interesting, but almost every vehicle they showed was a top heavy SUV (which aren't exactly save to begin with). I've had a tire blow out on me and have seen tires blow out right in front of me. There was no catastrophic accident.

<DRS>GPF
01-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
What? Are you serious?

i searched a bit to verify the comment and i can not find anything that actually says that it is illegal to resell a baby seat.. as you might imagine, there is alot of "dont buy used" out there.

whoops.. it was merely something i had only heard. :ermm:

Sjorge450R
01-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
i searched a bit to verify the comment and i can not find anything that actually says that it is illegal to resell a baby seat.. as you might imagine, there is alot of "dont buy used" out there.

whoops.. it was merely something i had only heard. :ermm:

In Cali it is ilegal. Everywhere else, they just have an experation date on them. I guess the materials inside of the seat that make them safe start to break down and thats what makes them expired.