PDA

View Full Version : New Tools!!

thedeatons
01-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Here are two new tools that I wanted to show off on the forum. Pictures are shown below, as is a video link to a youtube video.

The first tool is the spark plug wrench. This tool fits the NGK plugs that we use on the 250R. The tool also has a bottle opener, and a flat head screwdriver.

The second tool is a main jet wrench for Keihin carbs. The tool unscrews Keihin bowl plugs, and has a 6mm socket on the other end for removing Keihin main jets. The beauty of this tool is that it holds four main jets onboard, so everything you need is available at any time!

The tools are perfect for keychains, or tool kits on the quads.

The tools are constructed of stainless steel, designed and manufactured in the USA (Boise, Idaho).

For now I have four sets (pairs) of tools for people to enjoy. If they take off and demand exists I will have more made. These tools are stainless, so they will never rust. Stainless costs a bit more to manufacture though, the machines have to cut it slowly or it anneals (hardens). The machine time and material cost adds up.

In the future I may offer aluminum, but further testing is needed to ensure it will last.

Youtube Instructional Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=222O3jlusWE

***Hey guys, I really want to get these out in the field and get some of your feedback on the concept. I really need to move 5 sets of tools ASAP. How about $20 per pair, shipped to your door.

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC01480Large.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC01481Large.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww92/thedeatons/DSC01482Large.jpg

Thanks!
James
thedeatons@hotmail.com

IcutMetl
01-16-2010, 10:35 AM
What grade of stainless? 410? 17-4?

250rPRIDE
01-16-2010, 03:55 PM
can you use the 6mm end for changing the jet without twisting the carb to the side? is there enough clearance before it bottoms out on the motor? and i use a 39mm pwk.. thanks james

thedeatons
01-16-2010, 09:29 PM
The grade of stainless.... I believe it is 304. I would have gone with a higher grade but price constraints and all ya know.... It should have plenty of corrosion resistance for the little bit of moisture they will see.

I used to twist my carb about 1/4 turn so I could access it well. Mine was also a 39mm PWK. If you need to loosen the boot/clamp you can use the flathead on the sparkplug wrench.

After you are all done with that use the bottle opener on your favorite cold drink....

$20 to my Paypal and they will mail out Monday... Any takers?

James
thedeatons@hotmail.com

thedeatons
01-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Two sets sold and shipping tomorrow... Only three sets left. $20 per set, shipped to your door... Anyone else?

James

thedeatons
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Tools shipped today!

Thanks!
James

thedeatons
01-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Looks like another set will be shipping Friday!

Just so everyone knows, for $20 you get both tools, shipped to your door!

Thanks!
James

thedeatons
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Two sets (pairs) of tools left!

$20 shipped for each pair of tools!

James

rsss396
01-22-2010, 04:47 PM
just some constructive criticism

I would make the spark plug wrench twice the length and incorporate a stepped feeler gauge between .016-.028.
Kind of like those cheap round ramp style feeler gauges if you know what I mean. Except have it stepped for a more positive feel of the plug gap.

The video showed the wrench with a thin strengthening rib in the center hole of the handle the feeler gauge could be built in there.

looks like some real nice work just needs more uses

250rPRIDE
01-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by rsss396
just some constructive criticism

I would make the spark plug wrench twice the length and incorporate a stepped feeler gauge between .016-.028.
Kind of like those cheap round ramp style feeler gauges if you know what I mean. Except have it stepped for a more positive feel of the plug gap.

The video showed the wrench with a thin strengthening rib in the center hole of the handle the feeler gauge could be built in there.

looks like some real nice work just needs more uses

very good ideas!!!

thedeatons
01-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I love constructive criticism!!!

Here's the deal:

The spark plug wrench can be used on sparkplugs, and idle adjustments or bannd clamps (the flat blade screwdriver), and can open bottles. Basically three uses.

The spark plug gap tool is a good idea, and could perhaps be incorporated onto the side of the tool as a sloping or stepped ramp going from thin to thick.

The only problem with that is that it requires more machine time, which means more money.

Right now the tools are $20 per set, which is basically $10 each. This is less than my cost to have the tools made. Not much less, which is why I was willing to eat a bit of cost. Not to mention time involved, planning, and the shipping costs incurred with shipping the product ($1-$2).

That is the only thing I am fighting right now. I initially wanted to do $20 per tool, which is just enough for me to be able to afford another production run of a revised tool. Any revisions that require more machine time will in turn make the tools cost more money.

Motion Pro typically sellls wrenches for $20-$30, but they are cast metal, nowhere near this quality (these are machined from billet stainless). Just something to think about, so you guys can understand the pressures I am under with these tools. I literally will not be able to sell any more at this price after this production run.

Regarding making them longer... Two things. More material equals higher costs. Second thing is that everyone is making long wrenches. These wrenches fit on your keychain. Anyone who has ridden bicycles before knows that great tools come in small packages. Smaller means less weight, and less bulk to deal with packing. This is why I have stuck with the smaller sizes.

Keep the ideas coming, I like the spark plug gap check idea!

Thanks!
James

rsss396
01-23-2010, 07:54 AM
The small size with the screw driver does make for a handy little tool to carry on board.

I am the minority that doesn't carry any tools at all because of a drag style bike.

My idea was more focused on when I go to change a spark plug on my bike I am going to the toolbox for 2 things, the plug and the wrench.
I always adjust the gap a little tighter from out the box because I run alcohol so now I have to also dig for the feeler gauges.
The longer handle is important to me for easier torquing of the plug.

I understand the cost thing 100% because many people would never pay a little extra for something like what I have described

Unfortunately everybody wants Harbor Freight prices and our sport is filled with allot of younger people getting established in life and these fancy tools may be something everyone wants but few will ever buy.

You have some great ideas going on and you have actually followed thru with them which is something 99% of the population never does.

thedeatons
01-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Sounds like you need a custom wrench. I can help!

Let me know the details, how long you want it, whether you want the bottle opener, main jet storage, a Keihin bowl wrench, the flat head, etc... I can make whatever you want, just for you...

thedeatons@hotmail.com
James