PDA

View Full Version : What 50 should I buy my daughter?

yernkie
01-15-2010, 10:29 PM
My daughter is 4 and I am looking around to buy her first quad. I will be buying used and want to stay around $800-$1000. What are the pro's/con's of the different 50's out there? I want something that will last, so no Chinese bikes. Thoughts?

ewathen
01-16-2010, 05:55 AM
the 2-stroke E-ton 50's last forever and most of the older ones have adjustable CDIs so you can control the speed.

nastynotchback1
01-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ewathen
the 2-stroke E-ton 50's last forever and most of the older ones have adjustable CDIs so you can control the speed.

i got an 06 50 that my youngest rides.it has been great.no problems other than it got trash in the oil line and quit oiling.of course it blew the motor and i rebuilt it but it was not the quads fault.i will suggest taking the oil injection off and premixing.

LT80
01-16-2010, 12:18 PM
I think most all tiawanese 50's are a safe bet.
The LT50 is a good machine to learn on. It'll last forever but mods are not in it's future IMO.

machwon
01-16-2010, 02:44 PM
You could look for an older air cooled DRX 50. I had an eton 40 for my daughter but is was very tippy. The eton did have a nice remote kill switch. The drx's have wider axles and front ends so I feel it was safer. If noise is an issue you would have to put a quiter silencer on it.

EthansDad
01-16-2010, 05:24 PM
yea, stay away from the chinese junk. just wasting money. We have an eton 50, great motor but the erganomics are a bit big for very little ones. you might have to build foot risers to something so she can stand on the nerf bars and get her butt off the seat. We recently got a dinli 50 for our 3 yr old girl. same motor as the eton and other jap quads, but much smaller. altough no suspension or better chasis features like the eton, its the perfect size and comes with a remote kill switch. I now only wish all parenting activities came with a remote kill switch, it makes it too easy :)

here is a video of our 3 yr old girl's first ride. I like how she stops to check out big bros quads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxft42pVICM