PDA

View Full Version : craigslist...

SRH
01-15-2010, 07:22 PM
i regularly buy and sell on there....am i the only one that feels this site is a major pita....id almost rather pay a classified to not deal witht he flagging and all the small time hackers on there who go thru all kinda crazy lengths ....flagging tools etc...i get at least 2 ads a week getting flagged if i put 3 on.... ive never had any success on there unless its something for damn near nothing....anyone else get sick of it??? why doesnt craiglist get rid of the damn flagging, make it a low cost classified...weed out all these dead beats:mad:

honda300EXtreme
01-15-2010, 08:49 PM
i hear ya, i have never had sucess on craigslist, and no matter what you do your gettin some sort of scam email within hours.

i just got an email last week about something i put on there about 6 months ago saying i would like to buy it. they never said what it was.

i hate them scammers and i tear into them after they email me. it dont do no good but i makes me feel better

tbrackman84
01-15-2010, 09:13 PM
i've actually had awesome experiences on craiglist, i sold 2 full suspension trek mountain bikes, a digital video camera, computer parts, and wheels and tires for a tacoma. And i bought my truck, my quad, and plastics and other parts for my quad on CL.

I think it's awesome that its free, and its easy to figure out who the hackers are and just ignore them. I think its great.

SRH
01-15-2010, 09:24 PM
i actually bought my last 2personal quads on there and about 6 or 7 in 09... thing is some ppl who wouldnt pay to advertise will on there...but selling is a whole nother ballgame..., at least if you do it on a regular basis, my gf sold some beach cruiser she won in a few days for 100 bucks...i was impressed ...but man clist attracts some roaches

KXRida
01-15-2010, 10:39 PM
I had a good sale on my yzf. I had it posted for less than a day and got a hit on it to buy it for my asking price. Sold it the next day. I was impressed.

tri5ron
01-16-2010, 02:00 AM
I use it all the time, and have bought a few atv parts there as well.
to reduce the amount of spam recieved, when you post your ad, do not use there anonymous email service.
Instead, list your email in the description, and break it up with spaces or dashes like this: youremail - (at) - yahoo - (dot) - com

then instruct any responders to take out the spaces, dashes, and use the correct @ and . symbols.

This will almost eliminate any spyware/webcrawlers that are programed to look for emails within the text of your ad,then sends you those annoying automated emails saying they are intrested in your "item" for sale.

also, clearly state that you will only respond to emails that have "muffler on cl", or "rear wheel on cl" , or whatever it is that you are selling, in the title of their email to you.

Make sure that your required "title" is different than the title you used to list it on Craigslist.
That way, when you recieve an email with the Required Title, you will know that it is most probably coming from an actual person who read the ad, as opposed to an automatically generated email.

and DO NOT accept any mailed checks. they ARE from real accounts that have been hijacked by a scammer, and the banks are having a hell of a time with them.

Hope this helps,
Ron

on edit, here is a cut/paste of a post I made recently in responce to a similar thread reguarding Craigslist...

Here is one of my current CL ads.
this is how I generally avoid the scumbags and scammers.
enjoy......

Onan generator - Propane fuel - $1200 (Orange county)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-09-18, 5:29AM PDT
Reply to: see below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Propane fueled Onan Generator, MicroLite model 2.5 GenSet
2500 watt, excellent condition, works perfect, low hours, just serviced with oil and filter change, new airfilter.
service and maintaince manual included. Electric starting
will run roof AC unit 13,500 btu, microwave, fridge, tv, vcr, dvd, and more.
Propane fueled for no carbon monoxide emissions.
use in RV's, Campers, Trailers, Toyhaulers, etc.

$1200 obo
CASH ONLY, PICK-UP ONLY
NO CHECKS - NO TRADES - NO SHIPPING

reply by email to- tri5ron (at) yahoo (dot) com
(you must remove the spaces and use the correct "@", and "." symbols in the email)

In the title line of your reply email you must use "Onan MicroLite 2500"
You must also include your phone number, best time to call you, and your name.
I will return your call, and if you seem legitimately interested, and do not sound like some idiot scammer, then we will arrainge a time for you to come see it.

if you cant follow the above instructions, I will consider you to be either a idiot, a scammer, a computer roaming web crawling spyware generated scumbag, or just a brainless twit....
NONE of which I care to waste my time on.

you will notice that you are instructed to reply directly to my email, that YOU have to READ, and MAKE CORRECTIONS to.
You will also notice that you are instructed to use a DIFFERENT TITLE in your email, than is in the listing, to reply to me.
This is specifically intended to cause you to have to READ THE AD, and to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.
If you can not do that,... then do not bother replying to this ad, because I will delete it without even reading it.

I don't want to hear your stories about how your dog wants to divorce you, or your kids have to climb coconut trees for food, or your living in a tent in your parents backyard, or the only clothes you have to wear are made of cardboard and duct tape, or your car was stolen by a band of roaming pygmy gypsies.
I DONT CARE.

NOW, If you've made it through all of that,....
feel free to ask your questions.

BTW_ DONT ASK what is my lowest price in your email, or on the phone. the proper place to do that is in person, with cash in hand.
remember,...
CASH TALKS and BULLSHEET WALKS.

There,...
Are we done now ???

JR3
01-16-2010, 07:54 AM
ive made a lot of money off craigslist and found some nice stuff on there

ryan243
01-16-2010, 08:04 AM
i really like craigslist i just get annoyed with all of the people that post ads looking for handouts....like "i have 5 kids and another on the way, please donate your car to me". how about you stop popping kids out and get your @$$ to work and make some money like the rest of us have to!!

Ruby Soho
01-16-2010, 08:12 AM
ive sold a few things off CL, and bought one thing.. though i spend hours looking through it to see if i can find stuff. most major things i bought (both trucks, quads etc) were off the local bargain news though.. never had any real luck with buying off CL

tbrackman84
01-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ryan243
i really like craigslist i just get annoyed with all of the people that post ads looking for handouts....like "i have 5 kids and another on the way, please donate your car to me". how about you stop popping kids out and get your @$$ to work and make some money like the rest of us have to!!

i agree 100%

Sjorge450R
01-16-2010, 10:00 AM
just make sure to make a new email account prior to starting an ad. I still get emails from scam companys in my good email account.

Mud Goat
01-16-2010, 05:46 PM
i have stuf forsale on there right now, i've sold a few things on there and bought a few things also. it's nice because it's free, but seems like the only people that call me either offer me a low price or try an trade me a goat or a camper or some other ridiculous whatyamaduler for whatever i got. lol

SRH
01-17-2010, 10:59 PM
now you need a account and phone verification, i was skeptical it was a scam