PDA

View Full Version : Performance stuff for the 250ex

FMFracr287
01-21-2003, 04:34 PM
I was wondering if any1 knew what the best performance stuff for the 250ex would be. Like what the best Silencer or header would be. Also what the best filter would be. I was also wonder if a company actually makes aftermarket race plastics for it or if i shood just get them cut myself and what aftermarket suspension shood i get for it. Me and my friends all ride freestyle and race at our local sand pits. I got the 250, two of my friends got 300ex's and my other two friends have a warrior and a Z400. Right now I have the slowest quad out of all of us. I just want to be able blow away the two on the 300's and mabye be able to keep up with the warrior. If any1 cood help me out I'd really appreciate it. thanx!

ryanh250ex
01-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by FMFracr287
I was wondering if any1 knew what the best performance stuff for the 250ex would be. Like what the best Silencer or header would be. Also what the best filter would be. I was also wonder if a company actually makes aftermarket race plastics for it or if i shood just get them cut myself and what aftermarket suspension shood i get for it. Me and my friends all ride freestyle and race at our local sand pits. I got the 250, two of my friends got 300ex's and my other two friends have a warrior and a Z400. Right now I have the slowest quad out of all of us. I just want to be able blow away the two on the 300's and mabye be able to keep up with the warrior. If any1 cood help me out I'd really appreciate it. thanx!

the best performance stuff for the 250 would probably be a T-4 full system, a K&N jet kit, a aftermarket foam filter (or K&N, i prefer the foamers though), airbox holes, and a powroll big bore kit.i am currently running a stock airbox and filter, but i would recommend a foam unit to you. i simply dont trust K&N filters.

as far as i know, no company makes 250ex "race" plastics. i've seen a few people cut their stock plastics, with mixed results (one looked great, the other made the quad look like a dildo, lol).

works is the only company that i am certain makes aftermarket shocks for the 250ex. i've seen some kid babble on how he wants to get elkas for his 250, but i dont even think elka makes or would even custom-make a set for you. i could be wrong about this, you might wanna ask some people around here that have elkas for the bigger quads.

even with all of those mods, i think you would only be able to walk away (if that) from the 300's, and if you're lucky, you'd be even with the warrior.

you really picked the wrong machine to do freestyle with....dont get me wrong, i love my 250, but i know it's limitations. by the way, the reason why nobody makes race plastics for this ex is because quite frankly, there is not a demand for 250ex racing parts. this quad, while being a blast to ride, is worthless in terms of racing potential. regardless of how many mods you put on, you'll still be stuck hitting the rev limiter in 5th doing 55 mph (and that's being generous), and you're still stuck with a push-road engine which isn't meant to be revved (eliminating the point of taking off the limiter, set at 8750 rpm). besides, by the time you make it even remotely race-worthy, you would have been better off buying a 300 or 400ex.

if you want to ignore me and keeping modding away, you should talk to brokeitin3. he has over 9500 invested in his 250, so if there's anybody around here besides me tht you should talk to about mods, it's definitely him.

hope i helped ya out some.

Ryan

FMFracr287
01-21-2003, 05:38 PM
this is my first quad...my dad had bought it for me. I know its not the best flyer but its npot bad for freestyle my friend can throw no footed cans on it like nuthin. its not a bad machine for a first one 1. But i am definetly thinkin about buyin a 400EX or Z400 for my next quad (preferably the Z) but thanx for the help!

redroost85
01-21-2003, 06:05 PM
FMFracr, you are right, there is not a whole lot you can do to hang with your buds on their rides, but all the basic things like pipe, air filter, there is even a big bore kit from Powroll to add on. I guess Honda never thought that many guys would take the 250 to the extreme, but there are always some ways to get by. I have heard that the 300's shocks will mount right up to the 250 and it is a significant improvement.

Below are some mods I have done to mine and I am looking to get into the motor and a Durablue +2 axle. It gets a lot of second glances from the guys at the practice track...it just doesn't haul *** like I wish it would. Ahh, a 400 someday perhaps!

siberthugd
01-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Hey man... I have a 2002 250EX and I love it. It is the perfect machine in my opinion for wheelies and ground tricks. Actually, that is what I use mine for. I am in a stunt team with a bunch of motorcycles. I do ride it daily in the woods and hit small (8ft and under) jumps. I can do some freestyle, but only can-cans, no-footers, one-handers, no-handers, superman, etc. Nothin huge. No cordovas or 360 backflips, LOL..It's great for small tricks though also. As for huge freestyle off of huge ramps and such, I wouldn't highly recommend it. First off, how big are you? That makes a huge difference. If your "smaller", go for it. You can use 300EX stock or aftermarket shocks but it takes a little bit of modding the shock mount at the top. Works DOES make shocks for front of the 250 though. The rear shock can be swapped out with a Banshee front shock. Bolts right in, with no mods. As for performance, here is my list of mods: K&N Air Filter, K&N Jet Kit, T-4 Pro Circuit full exhaust system (header and pipe), Powroll Big Bore Kit (.20) w/ High Flow Roller (comes with kit), Ported + Polished, and a 300EX carb. For tires I run XC Holeshots. DG Front Bumper and DG Rear Grab Bar, DG Nerf Bars. I have a DuraBlue axle. Also DuraBlue 2.5" wheel spacers in rear. Just added Pro Taper Bars (HUGE Difference, bars are a lot higher and feels like a whole new machine!). I am faster than my friends bikes: 300EX, warrior, blaster, and a quadracer 250. All of them only have filters and pipes too though... As for race cut fenders: NOBODY MAKES THEM FOR US!!! I spent countless hours on the phone and online. I wanted someone to make me a custom "one-off" set also and no one would, even if I highly compensated them. Have them cut by someone who knows how to, or attempt them yourself. Some of your local shops might do it. Maybe one of the employees that works at one of them will do it as a side-job. There are tons of threads on here telling you 90 thousand different ways on how to do it. Here is a tip though! ONLY cut them if your gonna jump the bike high and need to see the front end for a landing. Cutting your fenders makes it really messy on your part when you ride. You NEED to clean your goggles every ten feet and you will always be a filthy mess. Picture this: accidently riding through a big, steaming pile of dog sh*t. It' not pretty, is it? It happened to my friend. It was gross. Anyways, I hope this helps you. Stick with the bike, especially if you got it as a gift! E-mail me or post a reply if you have any questions...

Nate250ex
01-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Elka does make shocks for the 250ex, they are like 720.00 for triple rates w/rezzies and like 530.00 for doubles w/o rezzies or something. they also make rear shocks for them. You have to e-mail them if ya want to know the price's and info. thats what i did. i didnt think they made them but they do. Its a little pricey. Ive got works dualrate shocks on the way so ill let ya know how they do.

250exen
01-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by siberthugd
Hey man... I have a 2002 250EX and I love it. It is the perfect machine in my opinion for wheelies and ground tricks. Actually, that is what I use mine for. I am in a stunt team with a bunch of motorcycles. I do ride it daily in the woods and hit small (8ft and under) jumps. I can do some freestyle, but only can-cans, no-footers, one-handers, no-handers, superman, etc. Nothin huge. No cordovas or 360 backflips, LOL..It's great for small tricks though also. As for huge freestyle off of huge ramps and such, I wouldn't highly recommend it. First off, how big are you? That makes a huge difference. If your "smaller", go for it. You can use 300EX stock or aftermarket shocks but it takes a little bit of modding the shock mount at the top. Works DOES make shocks for front of the 250 though. The rear shock can be swapped out with a Banshee front shock. Bolts right in, with no mods. As for performance, here is my list of mods: K&N Air Filter, K&N Jet Kit, T-4 Pro Circuit full exhaust system (header and pipe), Powroll Big Bore Kit (.20) w/ High Flow Roller (comes with kit), Ported + Polished, and a 300EX carb. For tires I run XC Holeshots. DG Front Bumper and DG Rear Grab Bar, DG Nerf Bars. I have a DuraBlue axle. Also DuraBlue 2.5" wheel spacers in rear. Just added Pro Taper Bars (HUGE Difference, bars are a lot higher and feels like a whole new machine!). I am faster than my friends bikes: 300EX, warrior, blaster, and a quadracer 250. All of them only have filters and pipes too though... As for race cut fenders: NOBODY MAKES THEM FOR US!!! I spent countless hours on the phone and online. I wanted someone to make me a custom "one-off" set also and no one would, even if I highly compensated them. Have them cut by someone who knows how to, or attempt them yourself. Some of your local shops might do it. Maybe one of the employees that works at one of them will do it as a side-job. There are tons of threads on here telling you 90 thousand different ways on how to do it. Here is a tip though! ONLY cut them if your gonna jump the bike high and need to see the front end for a landing. Cutting your fenders makes it really messy on your part when you ride. You NEED to clean your goggles every ten feet and you will always be a filthy mess. Picture this: accidently riding through a big, steaming pile of dog sh*t. It' not pretty, is it? It happened to my friend. It was gross. Anyways, I hope this helps you. Stick with the bike, especially if you got it as a gift! E-mail me or post a reply if you have any questions...

hey how did that 300ex carb work for ya????

FMFracr287
01-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Hey guys thanx for all the help. I really appreciate it! Hey siberthugd where did u get that axel and how much was it?

01-22-2003, 08:24 PM
go to http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.asp?sid=0002224906 for that axle.

FMFracr287
01-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Thanx dude. ALso I was wonderin how does that procircuit T4 system sound on the 250?

01-22-2003, 08:32 PM
they sound nice they are pretty loud i need to get the header though.

siberthugd
01-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Hey guys...

1) The carb is OK... Don't do it if you can't get one for free or REALLY cheap, it's not a big enough difference. It makes a little more torque, but who needs that on the 250's? They have enough already. A cam is the way to go, it brings up the top end...

2) That durablue axle can be found at that link listed above by 01 250ex... http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.asp?sid=0002224906 ... I got mine direct from DuraBlue... I think the domain name is www.durablue.com

3) The T-4 is a GREAT exhaust for our bikes. It's loud and adds a lot of power. I also took out my spark arrestor and it sounds and perform even better.I suggest the whole exhaust, header & pipe, but just the pipe is a huge difference.

4) My opinion on Elka's : TO MUCH MONEY for a shock that is over-rated. They are GOOD, don't get me wrong... But can you justify all that money on a set of shocks for a non-race setup. Let's face it... I LOVE my 250EX, but it is not, nor will it ever be a RACE QUAD... Think about it. Throw your money into smething else.

Any more info needed? Le me know, glad to help.... ~Robbie

Syrus
01-23-2003, 06:55 AM
The 250ex is an awsome bike, but not worth putting a lot of cash into it for mods, best thing to do is either just ride it as it is and have your fun, or trade it in to a dealer or sell it yourself, take that money and add some more and buy a nice 400ex used, its what im doing now. I love the 400ex =-)

250exen
01-23-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by siberthugd
Hey guys...

1) The carb is OK... Don't do it if you can't get one for free or REALLY cheap, it's not a big enough difference. It makes a little more torque, but who needs that on the 250's? They have enough already. A cam is the way to go, it brings up the top end...

Any more info needed? Le me know, glad to help.... ~Robbie

sorry to be the one asking alot of questions but where did u get that cam?? was it easy to install? do you think you gained a couple mph with it??

thanks

tj

and i have the t-4 and it sounds awsome!! a little on the loud side but its worth the $200

siberthugd
01-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Hey 250EXEN... sorry to say I don't HAVE a cam. I was merely saying thats the way to gain horsepower in the top end. It will definitely mke a big MPH difference... I wil probably get one soon. I will let you know how, why, when, where, and how hard ASAP.

250exen
01-23-2003, 02:43 PM
oh, ok
thanks
tj

ryanh250ex
01-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Nate250ex
Elka does make shocks for the 250ex, they are like 720.00 for triple rates w/rezzies and like 530.00 for doubles w/o rezzies or something. they also make rear shocks for them. You have to e-mail them if ya want to know the price's and info. thats what i did. i didnt think they made them but they do. Its a little pricey. Ive got works dualrate shocks on the way so ill let ya know how they do.

did they say how much travel it gave?

if it was a decent improvement over stock, i would consider buying the triple rates. i would definitely have a lot of people doing double takes looking at my machine.

Nate250ex
01-23-2003, 06:20 PM
yes they did say. um i deleted it from my e-mail. just go to www.elkasuspension.com and e-mail them your questions and they will get right back to you.

TRX_Thumper
01-23-2003, 06:22 PM
not callin you guys liars but triple rates for a 250ex....:huh

FMFracr287
01-23-2003, 07:03 PM
YEa my dad said I could get rid of the 250 this summer cuz he wants to buy some big beefy 4X4 and im definetly looking to get a used 400EX.

kxrider
01-24-2003, 08:29 AM
dude if you plan on still jumpin it dont get another stock axle i bent 3 of them and i just got a new 4th one and im not jumpin my 250 any more, i quit on quad freestyle i just play on the 250 my kx is better for freestyle anyways:D

FMFracr287
01-24-2003, 09:17 AM
kxrider how does that e-series silencer sound on the 250 & is it loud?

kxrider
01-24-2003, 02:25 PM
it sounds preety good, it sounds like a 400 with it but about half as loud, or not half a lil more

Jake250ex
10-10-2003, 07:53 PM
I'm in desperate need to sale my lot of aftermarket 250ex parts, and they are in mint condition and are reasonably priced. I would not reccomend gettin the full T-4 system, the header is mostly for top end, and the 250's rev limiter will quickly make you feel as if you had wasted and extra $200 on it. The slip on will work just fine. With all my engine mod parts, I was beating stock 300's.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=76213&goto=newpost