PDA

View Full Version : Front clutch(89' lt80)

80quadsport
01-15-2010, 02:29 PM
First off, thanks to searching this forum, I was able to figure out how to get the starter out and test it...it's junk, so on to my next obstacle- the front clutch. I removed the clutch cover and the black plastic oil piece on the end of the crankshaft. My problem is getting the nut loose. I'm using a regular ratchet and socket,so obviously when I try to loosen it, the crankshaft spins also. I know I'm probably overlooking something simple, but how do you keep the shaft from spinning to remove the nut? I tried wedging a piece of wood between the case and the teeth on the outer plate but it keeps slipping. I've tried it already, but is it possible this nut is reverse threads?

blevinsbulldog
01-15-2010, 03:10 PM
No threads are not reversed. You ll need an air gun to get this off easy. I just went through this. I went to Lowes & got an air gun for $75, i needed one anyway.

LT80
01-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forums. :)
He's right.
You can wedge/etc but you risk damaging a $70 part or more.

80quadsport
01-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the replys. I was thinking air gun, but wanted to make sure on the threads before I did it. I've got a buddy who's going to let me borrow his gun, but I eventually need to breakdown and buy one. I may as well remove and inspect the rear clutch while I'm at it. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions the farther I tear into it, so thanks again!