PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Tech

HOBS DS450
01-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Well my clutch doesn't feel right. I've readjusted it several times and it still, for lack of better words, clunks when it goes into gear. Also with the bike in gear not running I hold the clutch and it still drags when trying to push the bike. I'm about 99% sure I've done the adjustment correct. Maybe the clutch is just worn beyond adjustment? Its an 08 and stock, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

LTMFB
01-14-2010, 05:47 AM
Have you had the clutch update done?

kellymi
01-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it is time for new plates. After one season of racing I finally toasted mine at the Ironman GNCC. It felt funny before that and I tried adjusting it. Just glad I was able to make it through the race. I had the clutch update done about the middle of the season.

I am in the process of finding new plates and getting a Hinson basket.

simond
01-14-2010, 06:04 PM
I've got the motowork basket and dam .. So thight compare to the factory one !!!

HOBS DS450
01-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I guess I'll have to do that update or Motoworks/Hinson

simond
01-15-2010, 06:16 PM
i've installe it myself. I've put the hand on a motowork one already pressed on the gear. When i was a putting clutch plate in place...you have to found the perfect alignement cause it's god dam so thight!!! and on clutchin i found i t stiffer...maybe is it in my mind but....

HOBS DS450
01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
So Motoworks or Hinson? Lets here it.

TNT
01-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Simond what are you saying you don't want any binding those plates have to move or they wil break cause the basket to break.....All you all need is the stock updated clutch we are seeing amazing life out of it, as good as the after market that cost more. I got an xtra basket and hub and have not had to use it yet all year.

Don't want a stiff clutch either what springs are you using? Stock or heavy duty?

blaster99
01-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by TNT
Simond what are you saying you don't want any binding those plates have to move or they wil break cause the basket to break.....All you all need is the stock updated clutch we are seeing amazing life out of it, as good as the after market that cost more. I got an xtra basket and hub and have not had to use it yet all year.

Don't want a stiff clutch either what springs are you using? Stock or heavy duty?

You're telling me that you are running that big motor of your with a stock clutch basket?

TNT
01-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by blaster99
You're telling me that you are running that big motor of your with a stock clutch basket?

Yes sir AND we have about 20-25 hours on the clutch I'd say about 10 regional pro races another just 10 mins ago and tomorrow night with Plenty of clutch life. Must be that Motorex oil. :D

I wish you wouldn't get ask me those question on a race night when moto 2 is coming up soon.......lol! Knock on wood!

TNT
01-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Everyone needs to understand it was NOT the clutch basket that is a bad design, the update does not change it. The plates were failing due to binding from heat and a lack of pressure which the deeper hub changed along with a added plate turned backwards to get pressure prevent slippage and the new oil passage in the cover to keep it cooler and from heat binding. Once a plate broke it caused the basket to break. Getting a new basket made out of steel does nothing if the updates is not done the plates will wear prematurly maybe break and cause basket and engine damage.

The stock BRP design, the updated one, is a good one for extreme racing.

We JUST replaced a 05 YAM basket went to hinson but only after years of stock racing. Keep it adjusted, 1/4-5/8 lever play think it is change plates often or when it feels like it's starting to slip, run a good oil it will last!

I may be conservative but I'm a big fan of fitted assemblies in this case, I'd buy the stock or Motorworks full rather than retrofitting a hinson steel basket to an aluminum hub assy. That way I know the assy tolerances are working in the same direction or chances are better anyway, if you have any binding of plates in the basket something is wrong, tolerance are not in the right direction for example. My .02

TNT
01-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Blaster: I didn't say a thing and he called me to tell me about the second moto Can-am 2nd in pro then said " I need a clutch soon" and " we got incredible life out it"...he's feeling it start to slip still has 1/4 play, we will replace after this weekend at this point and not chance it, we're happy with what we got out of it new plates and preventative maintenance at this point worth it to not fail a basket.

More pro's showing tomorrow let's hope that clutch holds up for big purse $.

PS: Weird we had an engine light flashing, we have no limp race ecu replaced the battery stopped. :rolleyes:

Quads running great only Can there getting to the top. OK City OK Kicker AX and I guess they brought in a ramp and a monster truck is doing a back flip tom night at the main event....he's getting pics! :eek:

simond
01-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by TNT

Basickly i've put the motowork cause it was Freebee. I don't really need it but...why not.

I use stock spring, i've instaled the mowork more for prevention. i've saw some stock basket brake in the tp tooth, where th'ey pu the plate number nine, in the little ''castle hole''

Lot of difference between HD ans stock spring ?

Racers Dad 37
01-16-2010, 08:10 AM
http://www.hinsonracing.com/store/product.html?prod_id=1222

Hinson Basket is Aluminum NOT steel

TNT
01-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks RD I wish they list the alloy, my point being that the machined part will be much stronger than the casted hub and will be machined to tighter tolerances, thats ok as long as the two fit up as an assy good if not it could fail the hub and plates. Thats why you see on thier website greater benefits "less chatter" using thier pressure plate and hub with thier basket and I'd say in most cases this is not a sales ploy to sell more it's true. Akadized I never had heard off but looked it up once and the surface is as hard as steel guess that stuck in my mind. :D

RD always keep me on track thanks buddy! Well if I just made one mistake out a all that do I still get a A? lol!

Simond you might try a combination like every other one of heavy duty and stock if your lever is tight....I know some that do it....We never replaced this clutch yet past year I think we got new heavy duties cant remember that help keep the pressure up less slipage and plate wear. We always use HDS but not sure about this quad yet will see.

Like RD and I have stressed in other post the clutch like the rest of the quad is all about getting the updates done properly and MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE!!!!

LTMFB
01-16-2010, 03:30 PM
So w/the update do they pay for parts and we just pay for the install at the dealer?

TIA

xrxmxcx
01-16-2010, 04:11 PM
YOU pay for it all, it's not a recall. It is a service update for machines that experience premature clutch chatter. Even if it fails it's not covered, it's your responsibility and comes out of your pocket. If anyone is interested we have an extra 2009-9 updated clutch cover side well below dealer pricing!

LTMFB
01-16-2010, 08:36 PM
so how much is the clutch update?

nate450x
01-16-2010, 09:00 PM
You can have it done for free by the dealer if it is still under warranty or if you purchased the extended B.E.S.T. warranty. I had everything done, clutch and cover, fly wheel bolts and the rear engine/swingarm mount sleeve update (Hope that makes sense!). At first my dealer didn't even know anything about it but once I informed them of these updates they contacted BRP and it was approved under my warranty within a week!

TNT
01-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Our clutch went out in 1st place pro class last night lost a $300 purse, sucks!

Trever finally caught this dude who only races arenaxs got the hole shot and is smooth then his clutch went out lap 2 in the main, he felt it going in the 1st heat race but we decided not to chance it which was a mistake...Just didn't want to risk something going wrong changing it out 3 hours from home. Oh well least we got the can in front, bad luck lost.