PDA

View Full Version : Give me the rundown on the Canam....reliable???

/infamous/
01-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Looking to maybe get one. Have a national ready TRX right now that is putting out 57HP. I dont wanna be disappointed with the canam when i start nationals this year. Whats the ups and downs on the race ready version? Reliable? Powerful? Shocks work good?

/infamous/
01-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Also the one i may get is an 08 and has a motoworks exhaust.

/infamous/
01-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Come on guys help me out here...i dont wanna be stuck with a turd at nationals. Is the Canam worth it?

draygarcia
01-13-2010, 10:19 PM
the 08 have alot of stuff that need to be up graded like the clutch and more i love my bike but there not perfect but no bike is the 08 have some flaws though but once all the upgrades are done to it look them up i think they good but like shock and power wise ya i love it its really good i love mine and how it runs

Racers Dad 37
01-14-2010, 04:43 AM
IMO the Can Am will take No more work to get it to be a front running National ride then your Honda did. Things I know the TRX has to have to be making 57 HP like High Compression Piston,Head Work done by one of the top engine shop ( BCS,Dasa,MW), Cams, After market Clutch,Exhaust System, larger Inj ( green) and T.B. 50 - 52 mm, a Fuel Management System pc3 at least, Air Intake, I may have missed somethings but you get it.
Also Suspension, Axle and SHOCKS!

Hope this helps, as for Relisble we are looking @ A Race Quad all I can say is
MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE
every team has break downs.

Just look at and maybe list all the thing that have been changed on your TRX from when it was stock should give you a good start.

/infamous/
01-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks a lot. The one im looking at has all the upgrades and some other things. I know my Hondas like the back of my hand and was just nervous about switching brands.

nbm
01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Plan on buying updated engine cases because the right case will crack. I never had frame issues but other people have bent frames. just read thru the section you posted in and you will find alot of problems other riders have had.

TNT
01-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Honda motor will be easier and cheaper to make national ready in the upwards of 55hpw/ good low end to mid torque 37 ft-lbs or better. DS you fight a low end torque problem from the start since the valves are huge! HON has big valves too like the DS but lighter. DS takes bits and pieces from other Rotax motors and the motor is not optimized. Parts are expensive and engine builders are not abundant like the HON simply because HON has been released since 04, DS 08, although DS aftermarket is growing rapidly. Most engine builders that have experience with both will say the HON can get more smooth reliable power from what I have heard. When it was HON vs YAM carb motors the HON put on more smooth reliable power if you didn’t ruin crank bearing’s....Not the case anymore with the EFI PC 5 providing better constantly tuned throttle response than any carb motor a HON downfall.

Average wet weight of the DS about 370, not sure about your HON so weight-to-power is what you want to look at not just hp/tq. Be nice if more than a few engine builders had the knowledge to make DS 55/37+ so you may pay more to get the DS to deliver that. We have all the MODS and a 495 peak out at 50hp with lots of TQ 37fp, solved the low end torque prob. Getting ready to put a 450 in, epoxy the ports ourselves, adjustable cams, I’ll be ecstatic if we get to 57 hp/37tq reliable, at this weight doubt it! The most notable feature of the DS is it’s handling ability and overall advance technology, that alone will sell you on the quad IF it’s to your liking making you deal with it’s under developed short coming’s compared to the HON and Can-am DOES support the sport like no other.

The frame DOES have issues at certain locations, bad design. It seems to be hit or miss if it fails. If you hit a member by the front upper arm shock mount the lock bolt will fail the frame joint since it’s too thin, there were more problems with 08’s than 09’s, very little in 09 from what I have seen. It’s easily replaced/prevented, BCS, BRP, ATV 4-play sell gusset kits just like the HON frame needs. Be better if they used different lock bolts and made more frame members replaceable for low cost.

The case – if you have the updated engine bolt sleeve installed w/locktite correctly it will more than likely not fail, it’s been very isolated as to the number sold I believe.

Plastic is stupid hard to remove that use dumb "riv-nuts" once you screw them up hassle to replace, battery box will fail, axle may fail, engine compartment tight, hard to get it out and work on it compared to YAM/HON’s. Nothing major on 09's, better than crank bearing’s every 40 hrs on HON’s I have heard some doing.

My 02

LTMFB
01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
So TNT...is this post a "I wouldn't buy one" post or just identifying possible problems?

Not bashing, just curious...it makes a strong case NOT to buy a CanAm

TNT
01-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by LTMFB
So TNT...is this post a "I wouldn't buy one" post or just identifying possible problems?

Not bashing, just curious...it makes a strong case NOT to buy a CanAm

Didn't mean it that way....just depends on what your wanting to do imo. National Production A, National Open A? , Pro-am bikes that need more than 55+ hp, and 37 ft lbs to compete with other OEMS?

Assuming we're talking MX, not considering rider capability,

National Open A - Lots of 60+, 37+ fp quads HONS, KTMs, DS would need a pro-level 450 and funds or sponsors to support it OR a big bore and stroker noone has developed yet question on that nobody knows is how reliable that motor would be. Cost big bore/crank 2,000 alone, another $1,000 w/new coolant sys, race harness, misc quad mods.......plus maintenance cost same either motor. Frame needs gussets: $2-300. HON would cost less and maybe be more reliable in the big bore/stroker arena.

National Production A - Lots of quads w/52-55 hp, 36-37 fp tq, I think the DS and the do-it-yourselfer has a better chance in this class without spending a TON of money, mainly bolt-on mods. Part cost to maintain will be more than the HON(excluding crank). DS Motor $1500-$2,000 another $1000 w/new coolant sys, race harness, frame kit $2-300.misc quad mods. Race package helps the DS cost.

Pro-am - Lots of 55+/ 37+ fp tq, 450 motors, probably going to need some help from MW's or BCS or a top engine builder, lots of help, sponsors, and $ maybe out of both the HON/DS equally. DS Motor $3,000+ plus $1,000 new coolant sys, race harness, misc motor/quad mods, frame kit $2-300.

National B class - won't push either quad as far both would equal out in performance per cost imo.

Way I see it anyway some may differ. :D

LTMFB
01-14-2010, 06:25 PM
I personally won't be racing in any of those classes, so I should be good!

TNT
01-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by LTMFB
I personally won't be racing in any of those classes, so I should be good!

You'll be allright, we're shooting for a national champ in prod a, thought about open a but I'm not going to be the one that does r$d for BRP on a stroker, big bore. I talked to Falicon about a stroker and I'd really love to see it added to this 495 big bore since Falicon said he's seen big bores with stock cranks wake up ALOT with a stroker, then the Can-am would compete with say KTM's starting at stock 52hp, DS @39 is ALOT to build and drag racing in dunes/etc. KTM/HON a little heavier, granted.

450 Prod A is going to be tough on this quad unless we can get it up to 55/37 we'll see soon.

Can is putting good contingency money on the line, true, but if enough novice engine builders and do-it-your selfers can't get the power to put them on the podium above b-class what good is it. Brp/motowork's would be better served teaching thier tricks of the trade and years of R&D to get them on the podium boost sales in the racing community rather than corner the market. :D

/infamous/
01-14-2010, 07:26 PM
WOW Thanks a lot TNT, that helped a ton. Ill be racing production A this year and think ill just stay with Honda. Thanks a lot for your help and opinion.

TNT
01-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by /infamous/
WOW Thanks a lot TNT, that helped a ton. Ill be racing production A this year and think ill just stay with Honda. Thanks a lot for your help and opinion.

No prob, I'm not here working for the BRP sales dept just tell it as I see it, hope you get second in Prod A we'll be first! Buy ya a Redbull with the $1,000 contingency :D :cool: