PDA

View Full Version : 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo getting 40-50 MPG?

Brauap
01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Hello!

My dad was at work today and he said a guy he was talking to said he was able to go under the hood of our truck (2003 Turbo FORD F-350 Super-Duty Powerstroke Crew Cab Lariet (8ft bed) Dulley) and we would be able to get 40-50 MPG. That got my dad thinking and he wanted me to ask you guys if you ever heard of that comming out of a huge truck like ours.. or if that is even possible? Soon we are going to be adding a K&N cold air intake (already have, just need to install), a Bully Dog chip, and we are going to cut off the cats and mufflers once it gets warmer out.. but what else could we do? (We are going to be getting larger tires for it however.. (probally 33-35") we know that will kill MPG's..

BUT

Does anyone know what that guy was talking about or was he just being BS'ed?

Thanks!
Colton W.

MOVIN32
01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
SOME ONE IS SMOKING MOTHER NATURE

FWC Preddy
01-13-2010, 06:17 PM
I call BS!!!! No way is a truck going to get 40-50mpg.....unless its running on Hopes and Dreams. C'mon seriously

01-13-2010, 06:19 PM
speechless

BakerRacing40
01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
if you get a posse of toyota prius cars to pull it... maybe....

Brauap
01-13-2010, 07:10 PM
hahah ok.

Well.. what MPG is achievable with this truck? And what would we have to do.... without loosing preformance.

deathman53
01-13-2010, 08:32 PM
20 is realistic, mine gets 16-18, w/ 20' trailer 10-12. There are some that claim 30 mpg. Alot of it is in the gear ratio's(lower= worse mpg) and how heavy your foot is.

Ruby Soho
01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
your going to get mid teens. 33's or even 35's arent going to kill your milage but they wont help.

straight piping is a cheap upgrade.. keep the EGT's down.

i would stay away from bully dog. don't put a generic chip on it. go with a custom tuned chip or nothing... tony wildman, PHP, swamps, DP tuner etc.. edge, bullydog, diablo etc.. are only going to hurt your truck in the long run.

flyin#5
01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah he is feeding you crap. My buddies stock truck besides intake and a chip gets 19-20 max.. ever.

I have a somewhat heavily modified 7.3 and i've seen 17mpg, and 10-12 with a 27ft enclosed.

Do yourself a favor and go to FTE (http://www.ford-trucks.com/) and do some research. There are much better tuners than a bullydog. I suggest DP Tuner or Tony Wildman tunes. These will change shift points and be more programmed to work with the truck, whereas the bullydog is more of a generic tuner.

diangelo#67
01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
I've seen a few guys with 7.3 that have over 30 with 35's chip air filter an exhaust the trick is the right amount of propane injection

some guys know about using propane to get down the track but you can also time it into normal driving.....small long burns under load.

you could also make that number with hydrogen,....

or even a gear vendors overdrive on the trans....its capable..I could make it happen for you. the reason you dont see it alot is cause the 7.3 is so expensive to modify...that motor was out for how long 95-03 and only just recently the 7.3 can get in the 1000hp range. even still there are only 2 documented that I know. unless you ask some 16yr old with a chip that thinks its makin 800hp

diangelo#67
01-13-2010, 09:58 PM
I know we arn't suppose to do the other website thing but I dont think harlen will mind

goto
powerstroke.org
become a member it will open a world of do it yurself things to make your 7.3 run better

woodsracer144
01-13-2010, 10:06 PM
ok, your not going to see that many, but you could hit the 30's, its gonna take alot of work though, in take, turbos, wastegate work, propain injection... gearing it just right...
and then a guy with with out a lead foot... mind you this is not going to be towing also...

06typeS
01-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Complete BS, i have a buddy with an F250 and intake and i believe its chipped and he gets around 23

Another freind of mine has a chevy 2500 and he gets 24

I wouldn't expect to get much more then that

KFX450Rrider490
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
yea thats a lie we have two trucks with thoes motors a 550 dumptruck and a 350 dually which gets 13 and the 550 gets around 8 its horrible then our f150 gets like 18 on a realy good day but mainly like 15 so yea bs!

Brauap
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Our truck as of now (bone stock) gets 11MPG on a GOOD day.. why is that? Or is that normal for this truck?

woodsracer144
01-14-2010, 03:23 PM
do you tow?

if you would tune it you would get alot better, for some reason the OBS 7.3's get better then the SD...

tayyo789
01-14-2010, 03:29 PM
you can get 40-50.......in neutral on a big@$$ hill..

woodsracer144
01-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 300exrider490
yea thats a lie we have two trucks with thoes motors a 550 dumptruck and a 350 dually which gets 13 and the 550 gets around 8 its horrible then our f150 gets like 18 on a realy good day but mainly like 15 so yea bs!

i would like to see what your 150 would get if you put it through a day of the diesel. it would be way worse!....

its this way for everything,

tuning, taken things off and puttin on aftermarket things,

Brauap
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Well, we just got back in after choppin the muffler off.. WOW! IT SOUNDS GREATTT!! You can hear that turbo whistling the whole time! BEAUTIFUL! It runs alot better.. stronger.. revs faster.. and pulls harder! Its amazing all the emprovements after chopping that thing off...

+

Why the heck wasn't there a cat on the whole thing? It was just a muffler?? I mean I not complaining.. I just thought it was weird with those tree huggers and all....

We just got back from a mechanics shop were the work on bigger fords.. about f350s and up.. and he said a guy came in yesterday and he said he had went from here to south carolina on one tank of fuel with some left over in his F350.. with a chip. Thats about 1500 miles!!

My dad also said that a buddy from work has a HyperLink chip he will sell to him for 300.. but it isn't adjustable on the dash so he doesn't know.. what do you guys think? Also.. what are some of the best chips?

Tomarrow we will put the K&N cold air intake on.. right now it is still starving for air with the dirty stock air filter.. it should run GREAT after that!

deathman53
01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
1500 miles on one tank of gas, he must have that ~80 gallon tank that companies sell. I was thinking of buying it for mine, but they don't sell it for a 97, only 99 and up.

diangelo#67
01-14-2010, 07:32 PM
yeah getting 1500 miles to a tank is easier then gettin 50 mpg

you could install a tractor trailer tank in the bed with a 5th wheel, or even the factory replacment like mentioned before
my truck is a 350, gets 21mpg on 35x20's
tire pressure
chip
exhaust
intake
few other small things to keep it moving with those improvments

trick to mpg's is once you do all those things is keepin your foot outta the go button

250x_kyle
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
my buddys duramax get 25 with a chip full exhaust and a few other minor mods

Ruby Soho
01-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Well, we just got back in after choppin the muffler off.. WOW! IT SOUNDS GREATTT!! You can hear that turbo whistling the whole time! BEAUTIFUL! It runs alot better.. stronger.. revs faster.. and pulls harder! Its amazing all the emprovements after chopping that thing off...

+

Why the heck wasn't there a cat on the whole thing? It was just a muffler?? I mean I not complaining.. I just thought it was weird with those tree huggers and all....

We just got back from a mechanics shop were the work on bigger fords.. about f350s and up.. and he said a guy came in yesterday and he said he had went from here to south carolina on one tank of fuel with some left over in his F350.. with a chip. Thats about 1500 miles!!

My dad also said that a buddy from work has a HyperLink chip he will sell to him for 300.. but it isn't adjustable on the dash so he doesn't know.. what do you guys think? Also.. what are some of the best chips?

Tomarrow we will put the K&N cold air intake on.. right now it is still starving for air with the dirty stock air filter.. it should run GREAT after that!

not all 7.3's have cats. the only reason the 7.3 isnt made anymore is because of emissions.

intakes and straight pipes really help these engines.. careful with the K&N though.

hyperlink is a no go.. like i said before, go custom tuned or don't even bother.

TNT
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Heres mine a 08 450 King Ranch only truck in it's class that will toe this 22,000 lb rig, we get about 7 toeing, 10 around town....you diesel guru's tell me how to get double that without ruining my 100,000 factory warantee and you be my best freind for life We're getting ready to hit all the MX nationals so I'm interested FORD bro's. :D

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/RV12.jpg

One dealer last weekend said something about the EDGE chip. I need one approved by ford last I checked there was none.

01-15-2010, 01:31 AM
I don't know about the powerstrokes, but in my Diesel magazine a guy had a 24 valve diesel with 600hp that got 58 mpg when he kept his foot out of it. Can't remember what issue but I remember the dodge was purple. :p

extremeblastr
01-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Nova
I don't know about the powerstrokes, but in my Diesel magazine a guy had a 24 valve diesel with 600hp that got 58 mpg when he kept his foot out of it. Can't remember what issue but I remember the dodge was purple. :p

are you sure it was purple? there was one a few issues ago in dieselpower that was silver

300ex mxracer
01-15-2010, 08:37 AM
On ours we have a 5" all the way back, k&n intake, edge w/ attitude and meth injection. low-20s empty, 11-13 pulling 30-something ft toy hauler. DO any of you guys also use meth injection to keep egts down? I know before that ours would get pretty warm pulling through the mountains

400exrider707
01-15-2010, 02:29 PM
K&N = junk for the turbodiesels, just like the quads.

Like already said dont get a chip unless its a custom tuned setup like DP or Tony wildman, anything else is a waste.

2003 7.3's aren't very common either... nice trucks.

Guys, that dodge that gets 50+mpg is a 2wd 1500 truck with a 12v cummins rammed in it. He can only get that when he stays out of the throttle and does road trips at around 50-60mph. He's on competitiondiesel.com and posts about it over there. When driving like a normal guy, he gets 15mpg.

TNT- nice rig. You wont get any better mileage without voiding the warranty, but I'd be all over a DPF/DOC delete and custom tuning myself. You'll love towing that thing with some good tow tunes. You can always toss the DPF back on and return to stock if you have to bring it in for work;)

ml450r
01-15-2010, 03:37 PM
You wont get any better mileage without voiding the warranty, but I'd be all over a DPF/DOC delete and custom tuning myself. You'll love towing that thing with some good tow tunes. You can always toss the DPF back on and return to stock if you have to bring it in for work;)

TELL ME MORE.

I have an 09 that I get terrible mileage with. Isn't there a big fine to pay if you get caught with that filter off.

only pic I have of my truck...:(

diangelo#67
01-15-2010, 03:56 PM
they just unvailed a performance dpf I think it was magnaflow?

but the whole dump of fuel thing boggles my mind. they want us to use less fossil fuel but the best way to clean emissions is to dump raw fuel on it? what brainiac thought that up?
anyway that 6.4 can be mean an fuel efficent(s/p) at the same time but holding on to the warrenty is almost impossible. unless you take the time to repair before they repair if yu get what I'm saying

6.4l ford
air intake
turbo back exhaust from elite
dpf delete
egr delete
310hp tune from sparten diesel
600hp@the rear wheels

if I could afford a new truck right now that would be it

diangelo#67
01-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by ml450r
TELL ME MORE.

I have an 09 that I get terrible mileage with. Isn't there a big fine to pay if you get caught with that filter off.

only pic I have of my truck...:(

what you gonna tell em?
unless they have a reason to look dont say any thing
20-23mpg
600 rwhp
I would take a chance, most states still will not emission control their diesels. the mandate stated as a guide line only

epa is a different story

TNT
01-15-2010, 04:35 PM
TNT- nice rig. You wont get any better mileage without voiding the warranty, but I'd be all over a DPF/DOC delete and custom tuning myself. You'll love towing that thing with some good tow tunes. You can always toss the DPF back on and return to stock if you have to bring it in for work;)

Heres some TNT towing stories and lessons learned for ya all.....sorta funny! We went from a 5 x 8 to 8 x 26 to 8 x 46. Learning each foot.

Before this truck I owned a 2500 dodge diesel put a Bully Dog in it, when I hooked up the rig electrical it would shut the truck down intermittantly on the highway, then when I returned it to stock it scramble my VIN# in the ECU leaving the check engine light on the dealer charged $110 to rest. I haven’t had great experiences with them.

Get this they ol 06 dodge megacab pulled this rig for a year, guy that sold me this rig said it weighed about 13,000, dodge is rated at little less than that. So a flex plate broke once heading to a regional race, thought ok isolated but getting someone to toe this rig in the middle of nowhere in OK a NIGHTMARE!! And costly! So last year we take off to LL out of KS make all the way, head home out of Hurricane Mills get 30 miles down the road to nowheres land TN and the flex plate breaks again. Flex plates make a horrific noise sounds like your whole engine is grinding away. So BIG 18 wheeler hauler comes out toes the whole rig by the front of the truck to his shop where we stay the night in the rig then get the truck to the dealer next day 50 miles away for ANOTHER flex plate. At this point I and the truckers are thinking this is NOT enough truck to haul this rig it weighs more than 13, 000 lbs. Well we put it on the truck scales and it weighs 22, 000 w/one quad, cart, tools, etc....Truck can toe 12, 500. Take it back to the guy that sold it to me who’s been in the business 30 years he goes to the COOP and it 22, 000 lbs. Me I’m learneing never toed something this big, now I know. That trip we blew two tires, sucked! Also blew a head gasket on the quad. That was my LL vacation lol.

So I searched the dodge and chevy line all the way to the commercial trucks and this FORD 450 pulls 24, 000 giving me a little pad, 2,000. I now belive in the toe ratings violated them is hard on the truck. With only a 10% margin toe to rating I am skeptic to put a chip on it. I know everyone wants power and milage but whats the price in maintenance in the end why I'm waranted b-to-b 100,000. If this breaks down on the highway it will cost me $300 just to get a BIG hauler out the toe bill will more than likely be in the 1,000s all said and done checked AAA the 450 truck is too big. I guess I could get a chip, push the truck at this heavy payload and run the risk but is it worth it to not only break down but have spent more money in gas, loss wages, miss the race/points/contingency money, hotels, if it does happen.

Even without the chip the ol 2500 dodge held up pretty good pulling way behond it’s rating. This dodge has a rotating 5th wheel hitch assy on back in a 6 foot bed that shifts back to get turning radius...well theres a ball bearing all the load of the rig sits on and the same guy that sold me the rig that thought it weighed 13,000 sold me the hitch that was rated at 19, 000 my rig again 22, 000, so I broke that bearing way out in the middle of nowhere Missorri trailer dropped straight down on the bed rails slide back tore out the gate of the dodge. Nice feeling have 22,000 lbs drop and slide back....lol! Now we have the FORD dually w/ 8 ft bed much better, ball hitch, didn't even need air shocks toes like a dream except I did end up in limp going up TN mountains doing 55 with truckers.

Learning how to drive a rig of this size, hit trees, a building, you can get in some tight spots if you don’t know what your getting into. When I first got it the very back bottom out same idiot that sold me it did not put steel plain bearing rollers back there, I’m stuck in a residental area blocking rush hour traffic!

Now my boy and I after attending the school of hard rigging got it down to a science. I got a 10 ton framing jack in back and tons of tools......We keep blowing tires but now going to firestones are holding up we think and last week we went in limp mode somehow which kicks in at 85 dealer said and had to reset, we never hit 85 this F-450 truck has lots of low little top end torque and nice engine breaks. .

Heres a pic of the dodge, the DUB rims really look sweet!..but could not take the weight cracked 2.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk191/Terrylport/647978635_bb961009e1.jpg

I got no idea what your talking about whats a DPF/DOC delete and this tune what will it do and is it safe when your toeing at 90% rated capacity? I almost bought a F-650 with a Catipillar and Alison but it was too big, I could not afford another car and it would not get into work. Air brakes it was sweet tho and would toe this no prob, I be better off with it then a chip on the 450 I think!

woodsracer144
01-15-2010, 04:48 PM
give me tonight and i'll get you all you can do to that 6.4 and you wont void your B+B 100K....

TNT
01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
I'd appreciate any info we're doing 11 nationals this year @ 7mpg. :grr:

Money is going to petro instead of quad industry. :rolleyes:

flyin#5
01-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I got no idea what your talking about whats a DPF/DOC delete and this tune what will it do and is it safe when your toeing at 90% rated capacity? I almost bought a F-650 with a Catipillar and Alison but it was too big, I could not afford another car and it would not get into work. Air brakes it was sweet tho and would toe this no prob, I be better off with it then a chip on the 450 I think! [/B]

DPF is a diesel particulate filter. Its used to control emissions on 07-up diesels. It collects diesel particles and after a certain period of time.. depending on a lot of things it will dump raw diesel into the filter to burn it clean again. This kills your milage. My boss just got a new 6.4 and was getting 5.5mpg towing a 28ft enclosed. Ouch.... much better with the dpf delete and a chip. You cannot do the DPF delete without the chip, if you do it will randomly dump raw diesel out... making things a bit hazy. haha.

woodsracer144
01-15-2010, 06:39 PM
here you go buddy, (TNT)

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4l-performance-parts-discussion/130716-whats-best-bang-buck.html

this is where the magic happens!

TNT
01-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
here you go buddy, (TNT)

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4l-performance-parts-discussion/130716-whats-best-bang-buck.html

this is where the magic happens!

Ok thanks man, one guy said delete the DPF/DOC does he mean take it out or does the chip control the dump, keep the stock DPF/DOC stock parts in the trailer what? I can see me broke down have to put this stuff back on quick is it hard? Time consuming, I'm thinking in cold weather altho we do carry a large blow work heated in the back to the AX's?

Also he said Spartan, H&S, or SCT....wheres a good place to buy them and do they just plug into the diagnostic port and I got to drill a EGT in the my exhaust? Do I need a deisel shop to tune it for me? Will they reset my VIN # to the correct one?

Ya know think I just had a service recall on that DPF last month 20K oil change.

Thanks again for the post I was looking at that site last night like you all said but did not know where to look.

Maybe I should joint that site but may take few days to get active.

TNT
01-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5
DPF is a diesel particulate filter. Its used to control emissions on 07-up diesels. It collects diesel particles and after a certain period of time.. depending on a lot of things it will dump raw diesel into the filter to burn it clean again. This kills your milage. My boss just got a new 6.4 and was getting 5.5mpg towing a 28ft enclosed. Ouch.... much better with the dpf delete and a chip. You cannot do the DPF delete without the chip, if you do it will randomly dump raw diesel out... making things a bit hazy. haha.

So this filter is in the exhaust?

woodsracer144
01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
TNT check out that link again...

TNT
01-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Ok thanks again...I just tried 3 times to get into that site and answered the 3 spam questions wrong I guess but ABSOLUTLY sure I answered right, try again tomorrow or email them....Geez one spam question is enough!

I'll give that guy a call next week......

Anyway will you tell them my Bullydog on my dodge diesel would scramble my vin # and not reset it back to the right # which through a ECU fault code the dealer could see that cause an engine light and I'd have to pay $100 to reset and would void my warantee, will the piggy backs units they are recommending do that? Thanks! Straight pipe so I am I going to be super loud? I'm almost 50 old like quite when I'm traveling. ;) How much they think I will gain in tow mileage by all this?

woodsracer144
01-15-2010, 09:48 PM
not a prob man, i think you only do the cap letters...

woodsracer144
01-15-2010, 10:11 PM
check it out again!

TNT
01-15-2010, 10:18 PM
3-5 not bad at 2.75+ gal maybe more in summer. 12 would be awsome! Hey thanks again you guys helped me out a lot! Ill give the guy a call. Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread. Terry

woodsracer144
01-15-2010, 10:48 PM
when you call him tell him mornin-it-up sent you off the org, he'll know what your talkin about then and you wont have to go though it all... say your my buddy...

bens250ex
01-16-2010, 10:04 AM
for a 7.3 there are several good tuners. just prepare to get your trans rebuilt though and when it does go don't even think of putting it back to stock if you wanna keep the chip. you will need to head to bts for a bullet proof tranny and a great warranty. Tune wise give Jody at DP tuner a call or an email tell him Ben Harmon sent ya. i talk to Jody all the time and run his tunes. I ran a bullydog at one point a good time ago and all i can say is it sucked. i do blam it somewhat for takin my trans out and the truck just did not run good period. Jody is a great guy and will take care of you.

TnT-that is a sweet rig. the 6.4 are kown for bad milage and haulin that thing i can see the 6mpg which has got to suck. With these newer trucks like yours it is hard to get around the warranty when you add aftermarket stuff. I have a buddy that has a 2005 6.0 he bought the 200k warranty with it. he has exhaust, full set of gauges and it is custom tuned. He has had a fair amount of problems out of it but it has been tuned since day 1, he just puts the program back to stock file and unhooks the battery for 15 mins and lets it reset. The dealer hasn't given him any crap about it either, it had a tranny at 50k, and just got it back yesterday for head gasket blown, egr vavle, turbo had to be cleaned, and a couple other things and all this was covered under warranty. It all depends on what dealer you deal with and if they will be friendly to any mods. yes it would be sweet to add some stuff to your rig but also remember labor and parts on these trucks are a arm and a leg. i would hate to hear you had to have a new engine, or trubo's or trans or ect and they wouldn't cover it under warranty. if i was you i would go to the dealer and talk with someone high up and see if they might add an intake and exhaust for you. but see if they will do it for you so they can have the satisfaction of knowin what was done. Also these new trucks since about 05 have a code in the computer that is stored when you add a tune. So if they suspect you have been killin the truck and they don't wont to cover it under warranty they will just pull this file.

TNT
01-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex
TnT-that is a sweet rig. the 6.4 are kown for bad milage and haulin that thing i can see the 6mpg which has got to suck. With these newer trucks like yours it is hard to get around the warranty when you add aftermarket stuff. I have a buddy that has a 2005 6.0 he bought the 200k warranty with it. he has exhaust, full set of gauges and it is custom tuned. He has had a fair amount of problems out of it but it has been tuned since day 1, he just puts the program back to stock file and unhooks the battery for 15 mins and lets it reset. The dealer hasn't given him any crap about it either, it had a tranny at 50k, and just got it back yesterday for head gasket blown, egr vavle, turbo had to be cleaned, and a couple other things and all this was covered under warranty. It all depends on what dealer you deal with and if they will be friendly to any mods. yes it would be sweet to add some stuff to your rig but also remember labor and parts on these trucks are a arm and a leg. i would hate to hear you had to have a new engine, or trubo's or trans or ect and they wouldn't cover it under warranty. if i was you i would go to the dealer and talk with someone high up and see if they might add an intake and exhaust for you. but see if they will do it for you so they can have the satisfaction of knowin what was done. Also these new trucks since about 05 have a code in the computer that is stored when you add a tune. So if they suspect you have been killin the truck and they don't wont to cover it under warranty they will just pull this file. [/B]

Thanks! Thats some good advice I'll start with my dealer see what I can get approved in writting I can take to any dealer on the road. Ppl say you can throw these tuners in and toe and twice the rating and faster less gas, with all the OEM's FIGHTING for toe capacity to boost sales(thats why I bought the ford best advertised rating 24K) IF it were that easy and no repercussions the OEM's do it. I don't buy it, I think the tuner industry is huge some like BD bunk, in realty there is a price to be paid on the truck just a matter of time unless the tranny, etc, are matched to the HP/TQ by pro's.

nationalmx288
02-10-2010, 09:26 PM
2001 cummins 5.9 weighs 7231 full of fuel

Dual Filter Cold Intake
275HP RV injectors
16* advanced Timing
Chipped- Its a secret
Propane injection
No wastegate
3 Piece Manifold
Titanium Rockers w/ needle bearing bushings
Oversize Dilivery sticks
5 inch Turbo Back to stacks
high Ram intake
6 spd with 3.73 and 33inch tires

Runnin about 30-40 % propane you can get about 40-45mpg @ 7231 lbs
Pullin a 22ft enclosed you can get anywhere from 18-25mpg

*Soon to come ..Common Rail Head and cat C7 Turbo

Glamis400ex
02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
My 2001 Powerstroke Excursion gets 16-17 with a 7" lift and 35's. I have a DP tuner and Swamps single shot injectors. Singles give about 1-2 mpg increase if you can keep your foot out of it.

02-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
are you sure it was purple? there was one a few issues ago in dieselpower that was silver

Positive it was purple. It had the SRT kit on it as well.

woodsracer144
02-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
My 2001 Powerstroke Excursion gets 16-17 with a 7" lift and 35's. I have a DP tuner and Swamps single shot injectors. Singles give about 1-2 mpg increase if you can keep your foot out of it.

the biggest things that will help your MPG's now is a HUGE intake and a big exhaust with out a muffler in it or the cat... more so the muffler though...

Glamis400ex
02-11-2010, 06:41 AM
yeah, I've got a 4" turbo back exhaust and a huge AFE intake as well.

woodsracer144
02-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
yeah, I've got a 4" turbo back exhaust and a huge AFE intake as well.

oh, i know people that get better then that... i think it might be your programer (Dp) i know the TW ( Tony Wildman) is a good chip in the 7.3
i take its an auto....

witech
02-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by diangelo#67
they just unvailed a performance dpf I think it was magnaflow?

but the whole dump of fuel thing boggles my mind. they want us to use less fossil fuel but the best way to clean emissions is to dump raw fuel on it? what brainiac thought that up?
anyway that 6.4 can be mean an fuel efficent(s/p) at the same time but holding on to the warrenty is almost impossible. unless you take the time to repair before they repair if yu get what I'm saying

6.4l ford
air intake
turbo back exhaust from elite
dpf delete
egr delete
310hp tune from sparten diesel
600hp@the rear wheels

if I could afford a new truck right now that would be it

You know they dump raw fuel in by firing the injectors on the exhaust stroke. In many cases the raw fuel washes down the cyllinder and into the crankcase cauasing the oil levels to rise. If you get to much fuel dilution it will eventually take out the bearings. So keep a close eye on oil levels and change oil frequ ently. IH does not recomend going with extended drain intervals and associated with using sysnthetic oils just because of the fuel dilution problem. So if your oil level never changes with mileage its not because your rings are that good its because your burn oil is being replaced with fuel. When it gets bad you can see it on the stick as very runny oil. they have tried new regeneration programming to help with this problem but not much data on if it has been working.

fasterblaster09
02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
My 4 cyl. only gets 22-23 MPG!! now thats depressing

joebabic
02-13-2010, 02:32 PM
i get 15 mg in a 2002 f250 with 37 inch tires