PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Pads ??

QuadTrix6
01-21-2003, 01:37 PM
how long are rear brake pads supposed to last ??? and how hard are they to change cause im about to do it :eek:

QuadTrix6
01-21-2003, 01:38 PM
:D :D :confused: :D

RideRed04
01-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Depends, I've gone through a set in one ride...and had some sets last for months. Stay away from the honda pads. They stop good, but they wear out really fast and cost waaaay too much. I've had good luck with SBS pads, and they are half the price.

luvmyex
01-21-2003, 06:01 PM
EBC severe duty seem to last the longest for me.but only the severe duty the other ebc are trash.

QuadTrix6
01-22-2003, 09:52 AM
if im just changing the pads do i need to bleed the brakes and how hard is it to do this, also do i need a C clamp to change the pads or any other special tools ?

luvmyex
01-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Its very easy.Take off the caliper.Remove the two bolts holding the pads.You may want to break them loose before you take off the caliper.Clean the two bolts that hold the pad if theres any corrosion on them.Open the rear brake resivior and press the piston in on the caliper with a c-clamp or channel locks.Put the new pads in and put the caliper back on.Replace the resivior cap.Your good to go.

4punksdad
01-23-2003, 06:27 PM
if you have a parking brake, it will need to be loosened also...........do this by removing the "arm" from the left side of the caliper then turn the nut the arm fits over to allow the piston to go into the caliper all the way.

QuadTrix6
01-23-2003, 06:32 PM
do i need to bleed the breaks?? i have the clymer and it doesn't say i need to, and can i pick up a C clamp at any hardware store or do i have to special order it like the spanner wrench :rolleyes: ..thanks guys

luvmyex
01-23-2003, 07:12 PM
no bleeding needed.unless you run out of fluid in the resivior.and just use channel locks to push in the piston.

tants
01-23-2003, 07:24 PM
heres some steps...
1- take off the parking break asm. and get a blockoff plate, it messes everything up and tis usless and kills your new pads
2- take the rear break fluid cap off
3- unscrew the 2 bolts that holds the pads in place on the caliper
4- unscrew the caliper asm.
5- take the pads out
6- spread the piston apart with a flat head screw driver
7- put the new pads in and bolt them on
8- with the screw driver hold the break pads apart and slide the pads over the brake disc
9- bolt the caliper back on
10- put the brake fluid cap back on and screw tightly

you may need to rebleed the brakes after this because air might get in the lines. if you need help on this just ask

you unbolt the fluid cap so the brake piston can be pushed in for space for the new pads.

you made need to rebleed if air gets back into the line...

TeamHonda400
01-24-2003, 01:50 AM
Its not too bad a process. I've done it a couple times now. If you happen to have a honda manual it explains it clearly. As far as how long the pads are supposed to last I've found it really has to do with how much your on the rear brakes and what kind of pads you use. So far I've had good luck with the Braking pads

QuadTrix6
01-24-2003, 03:48 AM
aight cool thanks a lot guys im gonna do it this weekend, and tants check my sig :D i got a block off :blah thansk again

tants
01-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
tants check my sig :D i got a block off :blah thansk again

my bad...

so when we riding togather?:confused:

QuadTrix6
01-25-2003, 06:02 PM
what tracks do u ride at? Ill be at the raushe ride in June and when jack frost opens ill be there a lot

QuadTrix6
02-12-2003, 02:44 PM
hey i just finished my brakes, and just wanted to say i couldn't have done it without all you guys..thanks again for all your help, it was very much appreciated :cool: :D :cool:

tants
02-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
hey i just finished my brakes, and just wanted to say i couldn't have done it without all you guys..thanks again for all your help, it was very much appreciated :cool: :D :cool:

no problem big guy ;)

tom400ex
02-20-2003, 10:28 AM
hey i just did my rear breaks yesterday.... just a quick question
cause i'm not the original oner of my bike

should there be a shim that goes on the pad that goes against the piston like in the front brakes or not?????

cause mine didn't and is this a problem cause they work fine???

Impala400
02-20-2003, 02:10 PM
the shims aren't neseccary at long as you put some brake lube on the back side and pins for keep stuff free...i believe the shims are to minimize noise.

jwisniew
02-20-2003, 06:09 PM
how often do you guys replace front pads?

4punksdad
02-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jwisniew
how often do you guys replace front pads?

2 years and mine were still fine..............and I use the heck out of the front brakes.

jwisniew
02-21-2003, 10:16 PM
k thanks:)