PDA

View Full Version : Laeger rebuild kits for arms?

flyboy1294
01-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I bought a set of used Laeger +2s from a member on the site. I just received them today and the bushings are worn, and the rubber boots on the balljoints are shredded. (The balljoints still seem good though).

Do they make a bushing rebuild kit, and sell the rubber boots? I have searched but haven't had much luck. :confused:

**Also, does anyone know where I can get factor Laeger decals? I tried to email the "contact us" address on their site, but it says it is no longer valid.**

flyboy1294
01-14-2010, 05:10 PM
No one knows anything about balljoint boots or bushings?

davidhoe
01-15-2010, 08:31 AM
info@hsdracing.com
e-mail these people about the bushing they got them for $116

flyboy1294
01-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the help with the bushings.

I may have found a little light about the balljoint issue.

Originally posted by TBD Moog ES2074R. Moog has many suppliers for this paticular tie rod end so you should make sure it is the tie rod end that comes with the grease boot and hardware in a bag seperate from the ball joint. The ones that come with the boot already on might not have enough misalignment. Or you could call Ricky Stator and order his ball joints which are the same. Or call Lonestar like fandl450r said. If you're going to get the Moog you will need to tell them that it's for a 80-82 Mazda B2000. I believe the Volks tie rod end is 14mm and not 16mm like the Mazda. Since I work in a parts store, I have access to the Moog spec book and the best replacement for Lonestar arms is ES3045RL. This is the tie rod for an 89-98 Geo Tracker. Plus with Moog starting to cut back on old stock, parts for an 80-82 Mazda are really no longer in demand so the ES2074R may not be around very long.

Do Laeger arms use the same 16mm diameter balljoints as Lonestar? If so I'm sure I could order replacement boots at an automotive store. And besides, I think several of the balljoints might need to be replaced after all.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

davidhoe
01-17-2010, 08:20 AM
I have the old 14mm on mine, pretty sure that all use the 16mm size now. I'd just measure the treads on it.

flyboy1294
01-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by davidhoe
I have the old 14mm on mine, pretty sure that all use the 16mm size now. I'd just measure the treads on it.
I bought mine used, for all I know they might be the old style.

Which threads do I measure? The ones from the balljoint going into the arms, or the balljoint going into the castle nut?

And do you measure diameter or circumference of the threads?

davidhoe
01-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Measure the side that goes it to the a-arm. The tapered side is the same so it will fit in the spindle.

flyboy1294
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Mine are definitely the older style 14mm balljoints.

So what I do when it comes to replacing them?

davidhoe
01-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I am pretty sure they are 69-newer Vw beetle right outer tie rod ends.

flyboy1294
01-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by davidhoe
I am pretty sure they are 69-newer Vw beetle right outer tie rod ends.

Would I even be able to get parts that old from the auto store? And do you have part number?

CJM
01-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Would I even be able to get parts that old from the auto store? And do you have part number?

VW beetle is still super popular, might have to order then but most real parts stores (read-not pepboys or strauss) should be able to get them. You could even try online too.

flyboy1294
01-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by CJM
VW beetle is still super popular, might have to order then but most real parts stores (read-not pepboys or strauss) should be able to get them. You could even try online too.
Alright. Will I save anything over getting the balljoints from Laeger?

CJM
01-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Alright. Will I save anything over getting the balljoints from Laeger?

I honestly dont know.

Do this: Call your local parts store and ask, may save, may not. I would assume you would as its a simple universal design since its from a VW beetle that old.

check www.partstrain.com or rock auto for the part, they might have it too and then you could compare prices.

flyboy1294
01-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I honestly dont know.

Do this: Call your local parts store and ask, may save, may not. I would assume you would as its a simple universal design since its from a VW beetle that old.

check www.partstrain.com or rock auto for the part, they might have it too and then you could compare prices.

They are between $22 and $44 for an individual tie-rod end it looks like. I think Laeger balljoints are $34.95 a piece. So it might be cheaper depending on what the autoparts store charges.

davidhoe
01-17-2010, 10:29 PM
There is a guy on ebay that has them for 16.00 a piece. Just look around on the net.

born2ride14
01-18-2010, 08:45 AM
For the 14mm ball joints, JB atv racing is the cheapest you can get. When i rebuilt my 300ex, i looked and looked and looked. Jb was by far the cheapest at 19.99 a piece, not to mention the quality, you will never know what you are getting online

flyboy1294
01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by born2ride14
For the 14mm ball joints, JB atv racing is the cheapest you can get. When i rebuilt my 300ex, i looked and looked and looked. Jb was by far the cheapest at 19.99 a piece, not to mention the quality, you will never know what you are getting online

That sounds like the route to go.

This might be a stupid question, but when on their site, there is no way to purchase parts. Do they have an eBay or something?

Also, will the stock rubber boots fit any ball joint? I found a set of 4 that are in very good shape for $10.00. It might sound like I'm obsessing over it, but I really would rather have everything sealed up and protected than have dirt and grit in there.