PDA

View Full Version : Dirt bikes only handguards

muddymess
01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
I was looking for some hand guards for my R because a lot of the XC tracks here are tight wooded areas and i often have to pull my hand off the bars to make sure i don't crush a finger.

I noticed that a lot of them say "Dirt bikes only" but i don't see what would justify that.

I was looking at the tusk aluminum hand guards Part# 1096330001. Has anyone ever put these on without issues. Also I have Tusk T-10 Aluminum ATV Sport Bend handlebars.

Thanks.

400exrider69
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
get mooose hand guards
you buy the aluminium wrap around's then you buy the plastic roost guards that go around them simple to install and they come stock clamps for stock bars or you can order clamps for fast bars they easy to mount and i'd say they could go on a quad easy
here's a pic of my bike which has the guards work great after i almost broke my finger's

muddymess
01-12-2010, 01:59 PM
well see that's what i mean those look exactly like the tusk ones just more expensive. I don't see why there saying there for bikes only.

400EXSTUDMUFFIN
01-12-2010, 03:25 PM
I have always ran the powermad guards...They are a normal guard and they sell a metal piece that connects the guard to the bar end

I raced XC for many years and bashed these guards pretty good.

Never broke one.

MossboysRacing
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
I have raced XC for many of years, and the Best handguards are Cycra. I know they are expensive but it will be the only set you have. Mine have swapped from bike to bike for years. They also have the most room between the bars and the hand guard.

deathman53
01-12-2010, 05:29 PM
I use tusk and cycra hand guard. I also modify my bars by cutting the bars down to 28-30"(dirbikes only) and using a piece of threaded rod inside w/ trapped hole to accept the handguard bolt. I use 5/8-11 threaded rod, get a 5/8-11 tap for the bars, cut the threaded rod 1-1/2" long, drill and tap a 8mm 1.25 thread in the center of the threaded rod, then screw in the threaded rod w/red loctite and using a bolt and nut get it tight. I can't stand those wedge inserts, I had many problems getting them out in the past.

rustyATV
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
If I recall, the "Dirt Bike Only" guards are straight across while the "Quad" guards have a dip down on the outside. This is to give your hand room because you turn the handle bards on a quad further.

I've had a set of Cycra's for years and they work well. Got a set of WPS on my bike and trashed them in a matter of months. I think Cycra heat treats theirs.

86DUNCAN250R
01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I bought a set of Powermadds out of Dennis Kirk and they were not too expensive... I thought they were going to be cheaply made like the PP ones I bought for my predator 500 but I was tickled pink at how nicely made they were when I opened them up the day I got them... They are strong, thick, and sturdy guards... the plastic is not thin and flexible so they bend super easy like my PP guards did on my predator... here is what they look like. they come in many colors and i recommend them to anyone with my experience with them.. and the nice thing is if a guard breaks by some chance which I've yet to have happen then you don't have to re-order the whole setup, mounts and all for about $75... you can just order the guards themselves for about $30 i think it is and the mounts are about another $30...

86DUNCAN250R
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
another pic... if you notice the checkering on the back of the guards... there is a black panel on the front of them that is removeable for ventilation...

Flynbryan19
01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Powermadd all the way. ;)

They will mount up to any handlebar configuration. You can also get the wrap around that will tie the whole thing together like a traditional bark buster. They're TOUGH w/ this combination. I've used this setup for 3yrs now and am very pleased.

Flynbryan19
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Heres a picture of the wraps

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hqb2p4.jpg

I'd recommend BNR Motorsports if your interested in getting a pair.