PDA

View Full Version : wheel spacers

2007TRX400EX
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
what type of front wheel spacers should i get, i know some people hate them, but im not going to go and drop several hundred dollars on new a-arms. I have looked at some alba ones. havnt heard anything bad about them, what do you guys think?

James A

TRX01
01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
i dont really favor one brand over another but one thing is try to avoid stud spacers, those are the onnes that screw to ur wheel studs and then u bold the wheels to those....ur better off buying the ring or square block spacers that u get longer wheel studs with and i take ur old stock length studs out and slide in the new longer studs
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/attachments/grizzly-tire-wheel-combos/6204d1249180688-wheel-spacers-wheel-spacers.jpg
^^^^stay away from those, they are more likely wo brake

these are the ring spacers
http://www.wep.co.nz/wep/member-images/129/image/Sale%20Time/UM%20Rear%20Wheel%20Spacer.gif

2007TRX400EX
01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
thanks, iv seen the ones on the first link, they dont look to safe. i dont want to deal w. taking the studs out because i ride trails to and if i want to go really rocky then ill end up messing up my calipers so i want it to be relatively quickly to change em out.
how about these ones?

KISSmyACE
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
You can get a set of arms for cheaper than you think. Have you tried Ebay or the For Sale forums on here? Otherwise I'd say DuraBlue.

TRX01
01-12-2010, 02:06 PM
those look ok 2007trx.........just stay away from the stud spacers and u shoulkd be ok

2007TRX400EX
01-12-2010, 02:06 PM
You think those ones would mess s*** up? Iv looked on the forums and they are still way higher than my price range at this point.

bkelley
01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Honestly, just save up for some arms. I know you don't want to hear that but you'll be glad you did. ACE and I got our arms off the same guy on eBay for $200.

2007TRX400EX
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Im 16 now i am getting my license in april, I need money for insurance and 3000 to have use of are work truck. Plus i will have to scrape some money for tires up unless i find a deal on here. I have about $60-70 that i can afford to spend at the moment. After i get my license i dont think my atv will be getting to many new parts. In the fall or christmas time maybe ill be able to get the a-arms, but at this point im gunna be ridding staggered till next winter if i do that. but if i go with the spacers it will be ridding evenly. what i would like to know is what is the big risk of using the spacers, other than bashing my disks off a rock?

thanks,

James A

smelly$cat
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Honestly man, I would just keep your money. Enjoy riding your quad at the width it is and spend your money on something else. If you want a little width change for free, just flip your front wheels backwards. I wouldn't, but, it's an option.

2007TRX400EX
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I appreciate all responses. But its not only about getting the spacers, but why are they so bad?

smelly$cat
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Personally, I think they make your quad look bad/worse. It looks cheap.

-Brake component exposure
-Failure (unlikely) at high speeds could be really ugly.

I would only use them on the trails, not MX. Then again, if you are riding trails, why would you want to be wider?

I think hard hits from jumping in MX would be what ends up killing off a wheel spacer/breaking them.

I've never used them before, so, I probably shouldn't even be talking here. These are just my opinions/what I've heard about wheel spacers.

2007TRX400EX
01-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I appreciate input, i wouldnt of put up a post if i didnt want any. I dont race MX, i ride sand and trails, open trails.

jasonanderson1
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
i no you said you dont want to spend more money, but spacers may break if you ride hard. most people i know hwo had spacers broke them.

2007TRX400EX
01-12-2010, 04:05 PM
thanks for the heads up.

John Noftsinger
01-14-2010, 09:51 AM
I have front spacers for 6yrs and have had no problems road(mx tracks,dunes,trails,yes I would love a-arms but cant afford them i also have aftermarket axle with front spacers and it handle alot better than stock (does,t tip) and slides around the trails better only thing is that it wears front bearing out faster (replaced the bearings twice since 2002. its the same for rear ,when you put wider axle rear bearing wear faster as well.price you pay for handling better.a-arms are best for sure but if you cant afford and hate a tippy quad spacers are the only other option.

fearlessfred
01-14-2010, 11:09 AM
they will make the front end twichy and want to follow any groove thats even close to afront tire it changes the geom. stock the tire pivits on its own center with the spacers the tire pivits in a arc around the center of tires not good there is a thread on this under susp. at the top this forum read the part about off setting the front rims years ago in the late 80s i had this dispute with several of my sand dune buddys took them out and swithed offset rims to stock they took there brand new offset front rims back and got there stock ones none off these comments are ment to offend anyone take it for what its worth spacers and outward offset rims suck

01-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Most of the people who bash wheel spacers have never used them and heard one horror story.

I had them on my 400ex for a long time. The solid aluminum type like you posted the picture of. (They're the best type, the piece itself bolts to the hub and the piece has it's own studs)

I got a little air here and there (nothing huge but a lot of small play jumps) and pounded over rocks, roots, and trails all the time. Nothing broke on front end. It made it much more stable on faster turns (which was mainly what I was looking for) and looked alright.

Sure arms are better, I went that route with my shee, but if you are on a budget there is nothing wrong with spacers if you don't race MX and don't get huge air constantly.

The steering wasn't even twitchy and it never gave me more "arm pump" then stock like all the drama queens talk about.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about it, was

1) In real loose dirt, it tended to push at low speed.
2) Looks odd from the side because of how far in the hub nut is.

2007TRX400EX
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
thank you. i appreciate the posts.

fearlessfred
01-14-2010, 03:13 PM
yea go slow and dont catch any air you be fine

2007TRX400EX
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
oh yeah bro, great advice. Maybe if i was on a utility chief.