PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know stuff about 2gen. supras?

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I got a guy offering me to trade a 88 supra 5speed with the single turbo motor and im jw if anybody here has experience with thoes cars or know much about them?

Heres my ad for my car
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/1549159341.html

His isnt on craigslist but heres some details and a pic.
His has about 30kmiles on new headgasket and when that job was done everything was checked out.
New AFM i think its called.
New tires.
About 30 miles on new clutch.
Everything works and its pretty much loaded.
Cd player etc. etc.

He offered $500 on top which i think is abit low and if my offer for $4000 cash dont go through then i'll see if i can get him up abit.

So wat does anybody know about these cars?
I hear with bigger injectors and boost controller and mayb a bigger turbo you can get 300-350hp!

Anyways im open to thought.I have gotten many more offers but this one besides the $4k is prolly one of the best.

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Heres my car incase it gets flaged again(theres a guy tht got pissed at me for having keywords so now he keeps flaging my ad)

Has,volk,coilovers,10k miles on rebuild wth forged pistons,rings and new bearings,hids,new clutch,5speed,etc etc.

kfx400rider03
01-12-2010, 01:02 PM
i always thought supras where cool but my friend got one. same body style as the oe in the first pic. was pretty quick when it ran right. had nothing but trouble with it, then one day on his way home from school it threw a rod threw the block.
i gues he just pick the wrong one.

01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm willing to bet those arent real Volk wheels lol Just sayin

01-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Those Supras from what I read were nothing but trouble. Constantly having engine problems.

The N/A version on the otherhand, was actually a good motor and was fairly reliable. But wasn't anything special performance wise.

01-12-2010, 02:17 PM
DMC is right, lol yes I just said that.

01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
DMC is right, lol yes I just said that.

lol. When I was looking for a car, I found one of them so I did a crap load of research on it. All I read about is problems with the turbo engine.

It definitely isn't as good as the 3rd gen engine. haha

m0t0xk1d
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
i understand that is just what he offered you but if your want a supra get a MKIV 2jzgte . they years on them ae 93 to 98 and theycome in a twin turbo or a non turbo engine. the twin turbos are just plain built better, better head gaskets, stronger frame, there are many different things other the the turbos them selves. also with the proper tuning and boost controller you can be pushing 500hp with them.

check out the forum http:/ /www . toyota - supra. info / forums/
spaced so it doesnt get deleted.

HOWEVER MKIV without a turbo can still be expensive and then the 2jzgte( twin turbo) has a really good resale value so they are expensive but well worth it.

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 03:57 PM
The wheels have the volk part numbers or sumthn forged in them,id be willing to bet theyre real.

I did some research too and i found the headgaskets are a bad spot on them but from what i read lotsa people said theyre money pits but then others said as long as you mantain em good theyll last long time and go trouble free,idk...

Ive gotten offers for other cars too.
97 stock civic
92 turboed civic hatch
2003 tiburon gt(needed about $400ish worth of parts)
89 240sx not turbo but has a newer ka24 swap and body kit and lotsa new parts and lsd rear but he wanted $2800 and didnt have cash on top just 2 15inch subs.
A 90's blazer i think
$3500 cash
The $4000 cash if it goes through,i cant get a hold of him now???
Another older 240s with sr20det swap but needed to be finished
and prolly forgeting some....

If i took the $3500 or $4000 if it goes through what car should i get,or watr some sugestions? I want 5speed or 6 and rwd if possible and turbo is a BIG plus!Faster the Better!

Sounds to me like id be better off without a supra like that and i cant afford the newer ones.

01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
They will have Volk like embossed in the wheel. Clearly visable.

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah when i was cleaning them i seen i think TE37on them and some other things,id go look again but its at the shop still geting the clutch put in.

01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by S.A.J
The wheels have the volk part numbers or sumthn forged in them,id be willing to bet theyre real.

I did some research too and i found the headgaskets are a bad spot on them but from what i read lotsa people said theyre money pits but then others said as long as you mantain em good theyll last long time and go trouble free,idk...

Ive gotten offers for other cars too.
97 stock civic
92 turboed civic hatch
2003 tiburon gt(needed about $400ish worth of parts)
89 240sx not turbo but has a newer ka24 swap and body kit and lotsa new parts and lsd rear but he wanted $2800 and didnt have cash on top just 2 15inch subs.
A 90's blazer i think
$3500 cash
The $4000 cash if it goes through,i cant get a hold of him now???
Another older 240s with sr20det swap but needed to be finished
and prolly forgeting some....

If i took the $3500 or $4000 if it goes through what car should i get,or watr some sugestions? I want 5speed or 6 and rwd if possible and turbo is a BIG plus!Faster the Better!

Sounds to me like id be better off without a supra like that and i cant afford the newer ones.

I know exactly what fits your description.

It's RWD, 6-speed, and fast!

A 4th gen LT1 Firebird/Camaro. The LT1s can be found in the 3500-4000 range. You can get the 6-speed manual in them. And I know for a fact, they're much faster then that 2g supra is.

I love mine.

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah i have found some nice deals on them before like were they need just abit something and then theyre like $2500 or even under $2000 ive seen pretty nice ones...But what the insurance and gas milage like?See the things about the 4 and 6 cylinder turbo cars i like is that theyre pretty fast and cheap on insurance and good on gas,for example eclipses/talons the tsi's and gsx's and other ones too...Ive found a 10sec. gsx for $2900 and someone backed into it in a parking lot so it needed a new body kit and stuff.

How fast is yours or whats your experience been like?btw i read the thread when you got it.

01-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah i have found some nice deals on them before like were they need just abit something and then theyre like $2500 or even under $2000 ive seen pretty nice ones...But what the insurance and gas milage like?See the things about the 4 and 6 cylinder turbo cars i like is that theyre pretty fast and cheap on insurance and good on gas,for example eclipses/talons the tsi's and gsx's and other ones too...Ive found a 10sec. gsx for $2900 and someone backed into it in a parking lot so it needed a new body kit and stuff.

How fast is yours or whats your experience been like?btw i read the thread when you got it.

The 4th gen LT1's get upwards of 25mpg highway if you're easy on it, because they have a super tall 6th gear overdrive. City if you don't drive crazy is around 15-16. Not bad for a V8 sportscar.

I don't have it actually on the road yet, just been driving it around my neighborhood. But I got a quote of $204 a month from the general, but thats since im 16 and a new driver. It'd be much cheaper if you're a little older and have a clean record.

It's a very fun snappy car. It's not like a supercar or anything, but if you can hook up they still do 0-60 in the high 5's and 1/4 mile in the real high 13 range. (ie: 13.90 or around there) That's completely stock. With some minor bolt-ons like intake/exhaust/chip you can probably get to around 13.5 (If you can get it to hook)
I love ripping around my block. Just smack it and she breaks loose. lol.

I definitely recomend it. I love the way they look, the interior, and the motor. And having a 6-speed with 3.42's (the 6-speed axle ratio) makes for a fun combo.

I mean yeah, there's still obviously cars that will beat it, but it's very enjoyable to drive.

01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
By the way, I would opt for the 5.7 for sure, but the 3.8's with the 5-speed can be hooked up to go fast. The 3.8's a super durable motor and a great candidate to supercharge, which will make it a pretty damn quick V6.

The 3.4's I wouldn't even waste my time with.

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I wouldnt even waste my time with a 3.8 in a camaro...But yeah sounds good but i think id rather take something turbo still...My gf dont like the looks of the f-body to much either lol but if i find a good deal id prolly take it....I should prolly drive one,thanks for the info man.

01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
BTW dont get that SR garbage lol

k4f5x0r
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
sr's aren't garbage if done right. I myself, would prefer a boosted ka24 over a sr20 because of the torque alone :D

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Ive never heard that one yet about the sr20's being garbage,why are they garbage iyo? How much you think itd cost to boost a ka24 cause theyre pretty easy and cheap to come buy even with "look nice mods" you can get one for around $2750ish-$3500 in pretty good condition.

k4f5x0r
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Im not sure on the pricing to boost a KA but i know its not that expensive.

My friend did one in the past year, and he went from a stock engine with a cold air intake, to a boosted KA on about 12 pounds and is at about 250hp with a decent amount of torque( i think he said about 200lbs)

I havent talked to him in a while though so im curious to see what else he did to it.

01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
LT1's bone stock with no boost are 275hp and 340tq stock. Just sayin':D

lol

01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
KAT will get down still lol Plus they are super cheap. SR arent garbage but they do have problems.

k4f5x0r
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
LT1's have twice the displacement and look like ***. :p

atvnut22
01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
i have a 86 1/2 non turbo supra. its a pretty nice car, had it since it was new. mom traded here vette in for it so she could have a place for a baby seat for my brother, lol. the motor is pretty quick, and runs strong. the body is in rough shape, but it still runs great. weve had a few offers of people driving by anywhere from 1000 to 1500, but mom has to much sentimental value :rolleyes: . it never gets drove, been parked by the garage for a few years. their a farely rare car, and the non turbos are a better engine to buiild on than the already turbo motor. we had no trouble from ours till mom ran it out of oil and the motor blew. put a used motor in and my brother drove it for a couple months till he bought his prelude. now its sittin since he has his s2k.

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I think supras are outa the question for me since i want turbo then and theyre known to have trouble...

The ka24 seems intruiging(sp) though with the thought of boosting it....Buying used parts you could prolly pull it off with $1500....Guess im rlly just gona have to wait and see what comes along but im open to more sugestions =)

Thanks yall for the help so far.
God Bless

01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm in the process of rebuilding and boosting a KA. Gasket rebuild kit from Nissan with like every single gasket on the motor top to bottom, every o-ring, even valve seals was like $125? ARP head studs and a full ebay pieced together turbo kit I'll total it up. Then a basemap type tune $400. If the ebay turbo blows then it will be replaced. Its cheap enough to not care if it last a year to get the car going for some fun lol. Yeah I get my hands dirty on all different types of imports. Honda is my thing but why not learn/do it all?

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Kk id b curious and like to know how much your gona have in it once done if you dont mind sharing =) How much do you think i could sell my car for if it had a decent turbo set-up on it?Also how much would you estimate it cost for a turbo set-up on it?Its a B18A1 btw

01-12-2010, 09:58 PM
In all seriousness buying a eBay turbo kit or piecing together one is a good route. If anything just change out the eBay turbo for a good name reliable one. I'm a fan of Garrett. Diesel guys like Borg Warner but I dont like their bearing setup stuff but they spool quick and sound good. Whats your budget is the real question. You can turbo anything, but will it last? Will it make good power? Its all up to your budget and choice of parts. Non moving parts eBay is great! Piping is piping, intercoolers are intercoolers, maifolds are manifold.... I myself could never do a lower end build but I also had an expensive engine setup.

440racer66
01-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
LT1's bone stock with no boost are 275hp and 340tq stock. Just sayin':D

lol

yeah but a boosted ka will wax that cars a $s and ive seen light mods do the job too out of a 240 and theres nothing wrong with a sr 20 i love a sr. but a ka t is a far better setup .

S.A.J
01-13-2010, 10:08 AM
How much do yall think itd be to build a 300whp ka24 without labour?Also what would something like that do in a 1/4 or what would the power be comparable to?

S.A.J
01-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey yall think these would be good deals?

http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/cto/1550742422.html cash

http://killeen.craigslist.org/cto/1546402100.html cash

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1550556844.html
trade plus $800 on his end.

The eclipses would be if i took the $3,500 offer,the $4,000 offer aint no good anymore cause he bought a different car.

Which would be best deal in your opinions?

01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Yuck. No offense but they all aren't that great. I'd take a firebird or 5.0 over any of them.

S.A.J
01-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Well lets say im wanting to go 4/6cylinder turbo and not v8.

V8's right now are kinda outa the picture UNLESS i find a GREATTTT deal on a 5.0 mustang or f-body.

01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Out of all those I would probably go with the first one. (Plymoth Laser)

At least it's a 4G63 and has some decent engine mods. Would make a nice sleeper. I just always thought that generation was hideous.

S.A.J
01-13-2010, 04:56 PM
I dnt mind the looks,jst wish it was awd(tsi).

backwoodsracer
01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Heres my car incase it gets flaged again(theres a guy tht got pissed at me for having keywords so now he keeps flaging my ad)

Has,volk,coilovers,10k miles on rebuild wth forged pistons,rings and new bearings,hids,new clutch,5speed,etc etc.

ill drive a moped before i drive a civ or accorn

supras head gaskets go like two stroke go thru oil...

here for you S.A.J.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLrRvW4KAxg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLrRvW4KAxg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

S.A.J
01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Lol why you think i wana get rid of it?
I didnt buy it,i got a good deal in trade.I traded a 86gt 5.0 mustang for it and got a good deal on the 5.0.

backwoodsracer
01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Lol why you think i wana get rid of it?
I didnt buy it,i got a good deal in trade.I traded a 86gt 5.0 mustang for it and got a good deal on the 5.0.

hhaha