PDA

View Full Version : Help on Lights again!

badquad
01-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Well after trying to track down a short on the 2005 450 on the lights I ended up buying a new harness, switch harness and light socket harness, and new bulbs, and new light assembly.

Still no lights. I am going to get the meter out today and look for power.. again. The quad runs fine, but no lights still, and the fan never came on after running for 20 minutes.

What else can keep the lights from coming on?

Sjorge450R
01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Hmm. Maybe your rectifier has gone bad. The part with ridges that is on the left side of the sub frame. That seems to be the only thing that you havent replaced besides the light swithc.

badquad
01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I was thinking this too, but doesn't this regulate power to the coil for spark also?

What does that big box that is attached to the front part of the frame, under the lights for (Module Ign)? Is this for spark only?

Is there a way to check the rectifier? I tried calling the Honda shop in Anchorage, but the person I needed to speak to was not there, so I will try today.

fastredrider44
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Def. a wierd problem. I'm just going back to what you said earlier, that it was wrecked on the front left. When you replaced all that, did you see any damage to the wiring? Have you double and triple checked all your grounds?

Sjorge450R
01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
the rectifier's purpose is to work the power to the lights. This is one of the things that racers who have kick starters remove because its unnecessary.

badquad
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
OK where are all the grounds? On the coil, and where else?

How do I check the rectifier?

All connections look good and feel good on the left side.

THanks for the help... trying to get this out of the garage. Sold it for $2,300, got half paid for, waiting for rest of the payment when its fixed.

badquad
01-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Man this is being a pain...Well after a new wire harness, light harness, light switch, new bulbs, new light plastic and sockets, and now a new rectifier, I still have no lights and no power to the fan.

I have power in the main harness at the brown wire at the connector to the switch...

What else can be my problem?? Is there something with the flywheel or motor where the power is being made away from the power for spark??

I am lost now,, and my Local Honda shop could not help me over the phone.

THanks.

badquad
01-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Is there a lighting coil or something with the stator for power for the lights and fan on these quads?

miles Machine
01-29-2010, 07:44 PM
there is a source coil but that is also power for your spark

pitsrule
01-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Are the lights not coming on at all or are they barely coming on and flickering? I removed the battery from my ER and the lights would barely come after that, They flickered real bad too. I had to add a condenser to my ER which the Kickers already have. Sitting on the quad its the round black cylinder piece on the left side of the fourwheeler under the hood. I wonder if this has gone bad. It would at least cause the lights to be real dim, with electrical who knows, if this condenser were to go bad I would not be surprised if it would kill the lights completely. You can find one online for 20-30 buck shipped. Probably worth looking into at least.

d3ktrix
01-30-2010, 10:42 PM
If you want to check to see if the fan is getting power w/o waiting for the bike to heat up....
While the bike is running, slide the wire off the thermostat housing temp sensor that comes from the harness and ground it.
The fan should come on when that is grounded, no matter the temp of the bike.

Won't fix your problem but will at least give you some more info on what is working and whats not.

badquad
01-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Ok here is the update.. I took off the grey connector on the right side, put my meter on the ALternator side of the connector, while it was running checked the yellow wires for power. I had 13-14 volts.... I took off the connector at the rectifier and checked the yellow wires there while running same thing.. 13-14.. I then pulled the switch wire to the harness, checked the power by putting the neg on the green wire terminal and the pos on the black with white strip and had 13-14 with the bike revved a little.

Still no lights, no fan.... I checked at the light harness the blue and white with the neg on the green, but I was not getting 13-14 volts, I was like getting 3 or 4 volts... The black wire going to the on off switch i had power.

I am lost and lost.

badquad
02-08-2010, 04:06 PM
What about this condensor thing that is mounted on the right side of the headlight.. Would this make the lights and fan not work? What is it for?

Tried grounding the thermostat, nothing.

pitsrule
02-08-2010, 07:53 PM
The condenser stores a charge from the stator that the headlights and fan run off of. Basically it is a large capacitor, and when the headlights are turned on it supplies the energy to run them.

I have an 06 and if you remove the condensor the headlights will still come on but the will be very very dim and flicker. Now if this goes bad, being electrical, there is no telling what it could cause to happen.

Im not sure how this will effect the 04-05 450s, the headlights might not come on at all without it...i can not give any information regarding the 04-05. All I can do is tell you what it does and my experience with my 06. I know the two systems are similar because im running an 05 condenser on my 06 and it is perfect...im doing this because the older condensors are cheaper in price. You could probably find one online for about 20 bucks shipped.

Hope this helps...if you know someone else that has an older 450 try their condenser on your quad to see if this fixes it...im sure you know but it will have to be running for the condenser to charge and run the headlights.

badquad
02-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the help, I will try and round up a condenser.

Thanks again.

badquad
02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Ok I got a condenser, still no lights. After doing many searchers,, could the TPS on the carb keep me from getting lights and power to my fan.

At the green, blue, white wire, with black connector that goes to the lights I am only getting about .4 volts, but at the white main connector that goes to the light switch I am getting 14 volts with the engine revved.

So could this wire at the carb making this problem?

badquad
02-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Bump

ANy ideas?