PDA

View Full Version : Dirtbike Thumb throttle

Dansc90
01-12-2010, 07:22 AM
I was thinking of riding bikes this season to, but i'm twist throttle retarded. I'v tried getting use to a twist throttle, but its not working out at all, so does anyone know how i could put a thumb throttle on a Dirtbike?

greenblood01
01-12-2010, 07:30 AM
You need to get a throttle box off of a quad then have a custom cable made. Alot of dealerships can do this.

I have a buddy who put a thumb throttle on his KX 125.

133tmf
01-12-2010, 07:45 AM
ya man with alot of tracks banning quads , i got one to practice , i also jus couldnt get the twist down , so dave at eca hooked me up with a throttle and cable alil mod to outside of the carb works like a 2 wheel quad !!! lov it !!!

KXRida
01-12-2010, 08:02 AM
After riding with a twist I'll never use a thumb again. Once you get used to them you have a lot more control.

usp4u
01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
I just got done doing this to my 08 YZ450.

Throttle assy: Moose Easy-pull billet throttle assy for YFZ450

Cable: call Motion-Pro, Toby in custom cables: told them the length on cable housing I wanted and had it at my door in two weeks for $35.00

Understand if you do this on a fourstroke, especially a 450...there is the "potential" for the carb slide to "surf" the incoming airflow at WOT and hang there. That is why bikes have a push/pull set up and the quads have one cable but with a wire harness going to the throttle housing, it's to cut the ignition in the case of a hung throttle.

I ran a single cable on my hybrid for three years and never had a hung throttle, but the potential is there. Make sure your kill switch works !

It's all personal preference, I rode bikes for six years and am comfortable with a twist but I have more precise control with a thumb set-up.

QuadR8cer12
01-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I have a thumb throttle on my 06 crf250r. I just used a honda thumb throttle and cable from a trx450r and it works fine. Just plug up the return cable with a bolt on the carb.

NacsMXer
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I saved this pic a long time ago on here. Looks like they used a 300/400EX thumb throttle assembly. I can ride twists on bikes just fine but always thought it might be kinda cool to try a thumb on a bike.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8403/129640.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/129640.jpg/)

ZeroLogic
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
If you ever rode a bike you'll know why they have twist.:o

S.A.J
01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I didnt think i could ever get used to it either specialy when doin wheelies and jumping(just small jumps).When the front tire wld come down id mash it agian lol but after awhile i was riding wheelies and jumping my driveway to prob....Just takes some ride time to get used to.

I kinda would like to try thumb throttle too though just to see what its like...

Jared

jlm996s
01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
I have one on my crf250r. Works great. More throttle control for me. I put a 400ex throttle with a 450r cable on mine. The only problem is you have to move the front brake assembly around to get the lever to clear the throttle housing.

NacsMXer
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

I agree, a twist throttle only feels natural with the type of motions you go through on a bike. On the contrary, twists feel completely unnatural on a quad to me. I really think that bikes and quads come with their respective throttles from the factory for a reason.

But then again it's all up to rider preference. Some people just can't get used to a twist. So if a thumb throttle feels better to them on a bike I say why not.

usp4u
01-12-2010, 12:56 PM

My buddy had to do it b/c his arm/wrist were crushed in an auto accident. I rode his bike a decided to convert mine. It changes nothing, although many people who havent tried it will tell you that it will be terrible. In the six years prior to converting mine I had a cr250, rm125 & rm-z250...I am comfortable operating a twist, but thumb offers more control and is safer for me.

WB450r
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
my cousin has a thumb throttle on his 08 yz250f..im also thwist throttle retarded i cant ride with one to save my life..but with a thumb throttle im alot better on a dirtbike

Ruby Soho
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
you guys just need to give the twist some time.. eventually you will like it more than thumb!

ZeroLogic
01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
you guys just need to give the twist some time.. eventually you will like it more than thumb!

:macho

ZRider400
01-12-2010, 09:22 PM
i have one on my crf450, and ran one on my old crf250...

all you need is a honda style throttle (300ex/400ex) and a trx450r cable.. and you are set to go (works great on fcr carb).

for a 2-stroke carb, id imagine a 250r cable might work.

Dansc90
01-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Do you guys think it'll be easier to swap the front break resevoir with the same quad as the throttle i'm using, or do you guys not have very much trouble with that?

01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Damn people.

I NEVER ride bikes. First time I got on a CRF250R a while back, I didn't mind the twist at all. It's easy.

I like twist on bikes and thumb on quads.

usp4u
01-15-2010, 02:47 PM
so what's your point ?

01-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
so what's your point ?

My point is I can't believe all the complaining about the twist throttle and how "difficult" it is... I mean sure, I figured some people just don't go along with twist. But I never thought this many.

It's not that difficult at all imo. The twist feels right at home on a bike.

derekhonda
01-15-2010, 04:35 PM
I had always heard if you converted a dirtbike to thumb that is was dangerous in some way but for the life of me I can't remember. I know when I was getting into dirtbikes I had the same thought to convert and a longtime dirtbike rider talked me out of it for several reasons but now I just can't seem to remember. Either way, its twist for me on a dirtbike, especialy on long straightaways keeps your thumb from cramping up.

usp4u
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Why do you care ? I dont think you need those pipes on your Banshee, or the suspension. Does that mean I'm right ? NO.

But it's not much different than you saying "Damn people" or "I cant beleive the complaining." Half the guys I ride with a die-hard quad haters, but when I have my quad and ride with them they dont care, same thing with me thumb throttle on the YZ. If something like a throttle is bothering to the point that you have to comment in the thread telling people that their set-up is weird...I'd say,
"pssst, your age is showing. may want to tuck that in."

usp4u
01-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
I had always heard if you converted a dirtbike to thumb that is was dangerous in some way but for the life of me I can't remember. I know when I was getting into dirtbikes I had the same thought to convert and a longtime dirtbike rider talked me out of it for several reasons but now I just can't seem to remember. Either way, its twist for me on a dirtbike, especialy on long straightaways keeps your thumb from cramping up.
see my post on the first page for the answer.

outacontrol
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
had one on my ktm 250 sxf. it used the same carb as a yfz so it was fairly simple. i grew up on quads and that was my first bike. made the transistion easier. i liked the thumb on a mx track, but liked the twist in the woods. Everyone is different though.

01-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Why do you care ? I dont think you need those pipes on your Banshee, or the suspension. Does that mean I'm right ? NO.

But it's not much different than you saying "Damn people" or "I cant beleive the complaining." Half the guys I ride with a die-hard quad haters, but when I have my quad and ride with them they dont care, same thing with me thumb throttle on the YZ. If something like a throttle is bothering to the point that you have to comment in the thread telling people that their set-up is weird...I'd say,
"pssst, your age is showing. may want to tuck that in."

You need to chill out. ;)

I never said the thumb throttle was wrong. I can care less if someone would rather have a thumb over twist, it's personal preference.

But it's the fact that so many people find it difficult that gets me. It really isn't all that difficult at all, and I think if they gave it a try for a long period of time, they would grow to like it.

Dereckhonda,
I heard the same thing. Basically what I was told, which makes sense, is-
On a dirtbike, when you turn, you lean pretty far into it. When you're leaning, and turning the throttle side of the bar toward yourself, it's get close to your body and can give you cramps or mess you up with the thumb. It's part of the ergonomics. That's why they put twist on bikes, because even when turing it hard towards yourself, you're still able to easily twist the throttle.

On a quad, it stays stationary and you lean seperately. And usually counter-turn when you powerslide around a corner. The thumb doesn't get an awkward position.

I can't explain it perfectly, but thats how I understand it.

JR3
01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX

Dereckhonda,
I heard the same thing. Basically what I was told, which makes sense, is-
On a dirtbike, when you turn, you lean pretty far into it. When you're leaning, and turning the throttle side of the bar toward yourself, it's get close to your body and can give you cramps or mess you up with the thumb. It's part of the ergonomics. That's why they put twist on bikes, because even when turing it hard towards yourself, you're still able to easily twist the throttle.

On a quad, it stays stationary and you lean seperately. And usually counter-turn when you powerslide around a corner. The thumb doesn't get an awkward position.

I can't explain it perfectly, but thats how I understand it.

^ ^ makes sense

Dansc90
01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
DMC- It does make some sense, but i race motocross, and you dont really want to powerslide that much in motocross. Going around corners i have the bars right in my chest. . . And i rode i bike all last season. All my friends ride bikes, so i ride them all the time, but i cant get use to a twist for the life of me. even after countless hours on a bike. Thats why i want to make the transition to a thumb throttle. it would be easier for me. Thats why i would like some info on how to do it

01-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Dansc90
DMC- It does make some sense, but i race motocross, and you dont really want to powerslide that much in motocross. Going around corners i have the bars right in my chest. . . And i rode i bike all last season. All my friends ride bikes, so i ride them all the time, but i cant get use to a twist for the life of me. even after countless hours on a bike. Thats why i want to make the transition to a thumb throttle. it would be easier for me. Thats why i would like some info on how to do it

Good to know, I like hearing from someone that experienced it.

Well either way good luck to you.

Dansc90
03-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Bum.....
Anyone else know how to make the conversion???
I'm leaning towards getting a 250 2stroke so i can race in the 250 class.

slightlybent47
03-09-2010, 08:48 PM

I second that!!!!

Your knee or thy get hung up just one time on that thumb throttle and you’ll rip that sucker off as fast as you can. Stay with the twisty on the two wheeler.

Canadian144
03-09-2010, 09:03 PM
What DMC said makes sense to me.

I find riding a quad with a twist throttle to be awkward - I can never get used to it really. But when I'm riding a bike with a twist, it feels fine. lol.

Basically for me:

Twist - bikes only
Thumb - quads only.

JMO

Dansc90
03-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I get what you guys are saying, but i'v been racing quads since i was 5, so thumb throttle is all i'v ever used. I went to college 2yrs ago, so i'm a broke college kid and cant afford quads anymore. I spent all last season riding my friends backup bike (yzf250) and i was on the ground more then on the bike. I'v just got so use to and comfortable with the thumb throttle setup a twist doesnt work out, and i cant get us to it for the life of me. Thats why i came up with this solution. That way a can atleast race something this season. So if any knows what to do to make the conversion i would greatly apprieciate it.

usp4u
03-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Dansc90
So if any knows what to do to make the conversion i would greatly apprieciate it.

Dude, the first two pages are full of people telling how to do it.

Kickstarts-suck
03-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Dude, the first two pages are full of people telling how to do it.

lmao!

I put a twist on my 250x before and it was nice but I went back to thumb.

madskrillz2
03-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I always wanted to convert the bike we have to a thumb but now I realize that would be a bad idea. It only took me a couple weeks to get used to the twist. For me, it's all about how I position myself.

Dansc90
03-10-2010, 03:28 PM
yes, i know there are some on the first 2 pages, but i was wondering if there are any other ways then listed. I'm just trying to get all the info i can befor i do it. ha

jlm996s
03-10-2010, 08:04 PM
More info here. (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842203&highlight=thumb+throttle)

slightlybent47
03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I can see you have your mind made up to change to a thumb, but make sure your friend is video taping you, cuz it’s only a mater of time till you go down. I predict you’ll get tangled up in a corner and hit the throttle with your thy and it’s going to put you on your ***. Sorry to have to break it to you but if you run a thumb on a two wheeler, your going down.

bens250ex
03-11-2010, 08:47 AM
ive owned several dbikes and rode with the twist, it took a while to get use to. i still don't feel totally comfy on one i wouldn't enter in a mx race or anything for sure. but if i ever got another dirtbike i would go with a thumb throttle because i have a hand defect and a twist i can't controll as good. so it all comes down to what you need and feel comfortable doing. i did put a twist on my trx250r back when i had it because the thumb throttle broke, all i can say is it sucked made it so uncomfortable.

Dansc90
04-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Is there anyone that has done the conversion for a yzf250? I went to the dealer yesterday and i got approved to get a yamaha, but honda wouldnt approve me because my credit isnt established yet, so i might have to get a yami.

tayyo789
04-17-2010, 04:39 PM
i feel that if you were to put a thumb on a bike, for mx anyways, you would position it at angle where you would be positioned above it more than a quad where the thumb is parallel to the ground. makes more sense cuz of body positioning.
another thing about thumbs on a bike, is the throttle being really stiff. since the carb is set up for a push pull, and now you have one finger doing the work that your arm used to do. i know the throttle on my hybrid has formed a weird looking muscle on my hand that looks like a small tumor haha

krt400ex
04-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
After riding with a twist I'll never use a thumb again. Once you get used to them you have a lot more control.

i dont agree with that. i say to each his own. i rode a bike for over a year and i'm back to the quad and i much much prefer the thumb over the twist

KXRida
04-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i dont agree with that. i say to each his own. i rode a bike for over a year and i'm back to the quad and i much much prefer the thumb over the twist

No way, I have quite a few years on quads and probably about 8 or 9 years on a bike now and a twist seems to have much more control. Plus you're thumb doesn't get tired on those long rides lol.

<DRS>GPF
04-18-2010, 11:20 AM
hmm... i tried a twist throttle on a quad once.. once that is..
it just didnt work well for me when climbing hills and aggressive trails..

there was one hill where i needed to back out of the "coals", but i didnt dare release my grip position for fear of not having enough leverage to keep the quad on the line i needed to make the run..
i topped that particular hill moving like a bat out of hell..
my friends were already off their quads, getting ready to come save me if/when i bailed.. they told me they could see my silver dollar eyes and knew the minute i was in trouble..:eek2:

it wasnt long before i pitched it and went back to the trusty, crusty thumb throttle..

IMO.. you need a thumb throttle on a quad because generally you must use leverage on the bars, to steer the quad and get where you need to be. whereas to steer a bike a person pretty much leans that way..
mind you i do not race on an mx track, so the necessity of the thumb throttle may be different.

krt400ex
04-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
No way, I have quite a few years on quads and probably about 8 or 9 years on a bike now and a twist seems to have much more control. Plus you're thumb doesn't get tired on those long rides lol.

lol hence why i said to each his own haha. but i cant control the twist if my front end comes off the ground. plus i get wicked arm pump that i dont seem to get with the thumb. i find it much easier for me to keep a steady throttle with the thumb. especially in left hand corners where the bars being turned, alot of times caused me to twist the throttle farther than i wanted.

KXRida
04-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
lol hence why i said to each his own haha. but i cant control the twist if my front end comes off the ground. plus i get wicked arm pump that i dont seem to get with the thumb. i find it much easier for me to keep a steady throttle with the thumb. especially in left hand corners where the bars being turned, alot of times caused me to twist the throttle farther than i wanted.

with time comes control. Once you learn you're control you'll never want a thumb throttle again. The only time I've regretted a twist is when you get bucked on the bike and twist was you go down, but that comes with the territory.

SRH
04-18-2010, 10:15 PM
twist throttle only works so efficiently on a bike because there is minimal turning of the bars, thumb is generally more efficient and i think most quads guys have switched back to thumb...having your whole hand wrapped around ht e bar is and advantage on a bike and quad but your body positioning in corners is a bit more tedious especially tired...

i think twist on a quad was a fad in the 90s... most guys dont know what works til they get to a certain level, and even them some things work differently for different folks

tayyo789
04-19-2010, 12:48 AM
How about a dual gasser?

SRH
04-19-2010, 10:27 PM
that dual gasser is a pretty neat setup , i could see that being popular with desert and offroad guys

04-20-2010, 12:19 AM
i cant operate a twist throttle cause i am left handed, so therefore i have to use a thumb throttle on a dirtbike to keep throttle control. just thought i would give you my reason for using a thumb on everything.

BoneStockHonda
01-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Bit of a grave dig here but has anybody with a thumb throttle dirtbike ever broke a throttle laying their bike down?

I'm considering switching to bikes after riding quads for close to 16 years because out of the 6 tracks within an hour and a half of me only 1 allows quads and they have a separate small quad track. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to get used to a twist throttle and this was just something I was wondering

eastside 400
01-29-2012, 04:40 PM
theres more of a chance breaking the twist throttle in a crash then the thumb throttle

Dansc90
01-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey, I started this trend back when i first made the transition to bikes. Take my advise, from someone who's been in your shoes. Take the time to get use to the twist. Once you do you will never look back. It takes alot of time, and ALOT of determination to make the transition, but once you do it will all be worth it. 2yrs later i am way faster and having way more fun than i ever could have on a quad. Just take your time, get use to the twist, and progress as you feel comfortable. Its alot like completely starting over, but its all worth it!

deathman53
01-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I use a twist on everything, it started with just a dirtbike. Got a new carb for atc200x and it was too hard to use w/ thumb, so got a twist for it. 250r trike got a dual gasser, I only used it as a twist, trx250r got a twist, crf450r hybrid got the stock honda twist. Now I have a atc450r and its using the stock honda twist. Only way for me to go, it also serves another purpose on a quad........you know how when you have a really nice quad and your buddies want to ride it(or others at the track who are curious or so?), they see a twist and don't even bother asking.