PDA

View Full Version : decompresour lever

kono993
01-12-2010, 05:54 AM
hey guys!
i have been having some trouble setting my decompression lever right now its at .0010 witch is spec and I’m only getting around 40-45psi of compression and I’m looking to get around 60psi and i have had it apart a couple times now and every time i do it, it stays around there. it was at around 60-65 before i put my hrc kit in and now i cant get it back up to that so can somebody explain how to get it back up?
and also i was thinking about making the decompression lever at about .0007 so the valve opens less witch would make more compression?

thanks!

ds268
01-13-2010, 08:51 AM
If you are at 10 thousandths and adjust it to 7 thousandths, the exhaust valves will open up even more (less clearance) and lower the cranking pressure further. The best way to adjust the decomp is to use a compression gauge.

I recently did an hrc cam swap where cranking compression dropped to low 20psi. It started best right at 58psi. The gauge is by far the easiest since the clearance is more of a guess and can get frustrating after a few times. The factory specs the decomp clearance to about .024". Hope this helps.

I also found that the engine had a hard time turning over when decomp pressure was over 62psi.

kono993
01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
lol just realized that
so make more clearance? becaus it was at 15 thousandths and i put it back to 10 so just make like 22-23 thousandths and it will be ok i think?

ds268
01-13-2010, 11:59 AM
I would start with around 20 thou and up go from there. You're going to hit a point where its going to struggle to turn it over and for my situation that was about 28 thou. When you do hit the right clearance, it will fire up. The decomp screw is very sensitive. I remember turning it about an 1/8th turn which resulted in about 2psi change.

kono993
01-14-2010, 05:43 AM
yeah i had it apart 3 times now so yeah
and it just needs a little more comp to get started it sputters a little and just takes really long to get her to start up. but it starts really well when its hot tho