PDA

View Full Version : Help with FMF Fatty Pipe on an 88 250r!

warthoga5
01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Could someone with experience with having an FMF Fatty pipe on your R answer a question for me? When I bought my 88 250r it already had a full FMF exaust installed, but the mount on the bottom of the expansion chamber didn't look right. IT appears that the previous owner just took a piece of sheet metal, drilled two holes in it, and attached one end to the mount on the expansion chamber and the other end to the bottom left hand bolt on the right side motor mount. This doesn't look right to me, could anyone tell me whatthe mount is supposed to look like? Thanks!

IcutMetl
01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
That's exactly how I have mine done; I formed a piece of flat steel stock and used it along with soft rubber washers and nylock nuts for the lower mount. I'm not really certain what is supposed to go there; possibly uses the factory style mount similar to the rear silencer?

unit32
01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I have an ESR pipe on mine and it's the same way. You can see in the pic the tab doesn't line up so i had to fab up a bracket.

warthoga5
01-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys. I am used to two stroke pipes being rubber mounted and I just wanted to make sure that the pipe didn't come with some sort of mounting bracket from FMF that had gotten lost on some dune somewhere. Thanks!

312R1
01-11-2010, 06:24 PM
This is how you mount them.

-Steve

86DUNCAN250R
01-12-2010, 05:24 AM
yeah, thats normal for a mount for an aftermarket exhaust... I have a Duncan PTR pipe and it as well utilizes a bottom mount... The AAEN head pipe that I had before had a top hanger mount using a thin flat strip that resembled a chinsy piese of thin sheet metal... it had broken off and in the instructions that came with my PTR pipe they said to utilize that stock upper hanger mount and mount it to the front engine mount with that same bracket... since the bracket was broken and looked chinsy anyway I also took a piece of flat bar steel 1'8" thick i think it is and I shaped it the way I needed and I bolted it to the pipe and the bolt on the side of the frame that holds the skid pan on the belly... for the bracket I made this seems to work just fine as well...

msales201
01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Mine was that way when I got it. FMF gold series on an 88