PDA

View Full Version : Why have out dealerships turned into used car lots?

TWILES
01-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I asked this same question with this post on another site and it got a lot of attention and everyone but 1 agreed with me. Here's my problem.

I'm planning on getting back into racing this year. My friend who had a small shop shut down due to the reccession and the 2 Yamaha dealerships I liked when I was racing 8-9 years ago have sold and are being ran by used car salesman. I've been scouting for a new stomping ground over the last 6 months and I can't find one. Hatefull parts counter people and salesmen who remind me of the car from the movie cars who sold the tires. You don't know what you. I tell you what you want. It doesn't bother me until they insult me. I've have a VERY short fuse when it comes to things like that. I know things are bad and bikes are not selling but, damn! The product knowledge of the people working at these places SUCKS to the point one of them tried to tell me that a CRF230F had an alluminum frame. He really thought it did... Trying to start conversation with one is impossible. They don't want to talk a little, they want you to buy and get the hell out. OK, thats kind-of understandable. I remember when the people that worked at those place enjoyed working there. What happened to them? I know because the guy who bought Town and Country Yamaha did it. He fired the ones who liked to make friends with people and help them and actually got paid(who also made the business worth 3million) and hired a bunch of idiots for nothing and lost a ton business.

What so you guys think?

yellowzo3
01-11-2010, 11:16 AM
At first I couldn't tell where you were going with this. But after I read it all I agree. This may be sort of long but I think a lot of people can share my experience if they've been in the sport for a while.

Around here there are only 3 places I go/went to for parts. The first 2 have been around for years and haven't changed. Friendly, will check or try to find a part that works for as long as you're willing to wait (even when I just needed lug nuts)... I can't complain about them and they were always nice to everyone in the store and willing to chat about anything.

The third dealer, however, is newer and I'll never go back. A lot of people like the place I'm about to mention but I hate it because of the one bad experience I had. A buddy and I went to get him a set of tires for the track since his stockers had seen better days. They, of course, did not have any mx tires so the dealer suggested Razr II's. Now, COME ON... So I'm thinking we'll just leave and check out one of the above mentioned places I like. But my buddy thinks this place is great and the guy convinces him these tires are great for everything and all that jazz. I'm telling my friend to think twice and that he's just selling them to him because they're in stock. The guy at the counter keeps insisting the Razr's are great for the track and that his blaster blazes down the railroad tracks with these every weekend :rolleyes: ... Well, its not my money so WHATEVER. Friend buys them and needs some oil too. So I'm thinking okay we'll just get the same stuff I use in mine (he had a YFZ and I had a Z400)... The counter guy has to lecture us on which oil to buy and that we're not buying the right stuff. Ever since I started riding I've used BelRay with GREAT results. This dude pushes some other crap and luckily my friend just took the oil I already picked out. He was going on and on about particle size difference in the different oils... WHAT?!?! Does this guy even know what hes saying?! :huh: ... I vowed to never use that place for ANYTHING after that.

This may not seem like a big deal to everyone but I've never had a problem at the other 2 places I usually go to and the first time I go to this corporate vibe place the guy jumps on us and is talking to me like I've never seen a quad before. I was furious :mad: ...That just reinforced my initial thoughts about sticking to the people that treat you right and that the new wave of dealers could care less about their customers.

So I see what you mean about the newer places and people TWILES. I stick to my favorite places now for the usual oil and filter cleaner and stuff. Most of us buy everything online now anyway :p

TWILES
01-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I can't stand buying things online. Half the time I end up with the wrong part. The shops aren't much better but its up to them to send it back and get me the right stuff. One good one was a helmet I bought. There were two orange ones and I picked out the one with chrome on it. Well, the other one showed up and the owner of the place said that that was the one I ordered and wouldn't even compare the #'s on the box. The visor was broke. I took the helmet because the one that came was actually better-looking in person. So I've accepter the helmet with the owner not believing its wrong. The new visor comes in and its for the helmet that I ordered. So he calls the place and they tell him that someone must have put the wrong helmet in that box. Instead of calling when I said there was a problem, he argued with me. After him being such an ******* and treating me like I'm stupid, I never ordered another part from him. He also used to work at a car lot as a parts guy and sales for a little while. Not long after, his son took over and I started buying from there again.

blacknblue#2
01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I go threw this all the time too. I dont mean to sound like i am talking down about someone but dealers need to get some good parts guys and pay them what their worth. Parts guys around here make about 7 bucks an hour and ive always had the outlook that you get what you pay for.(im sorry if i affend anyone cause i dont mean to). Usually i order all my stuff off the net but some situations i will go to a dealer. Like when i rebuild my top end. I usually go to the dealer for gaskets and that such. I went in last month and got and handed the guy the list of part numbers i wanted (its easier for me to do my research than him click click click away asking me to come behind the counter to point out what part i am wanting on the print)..So he goes through and digs all my part numbers up on his screen and he gets to the last one....."UGGGHHHH the headgasket part number you gave me is for a 2005 CRF450R, let me look it up here and see what one you need" i said that is the one i need...he comes back with "umm no sir all your other parts are for a TRX450R but the head gasket is for a CRF450R, which bike are you buying the parts for, they are different engines" I once again said, the part numbers were right and that the CRF head gasket will work its just thinner. He looked at me like i was a right smart idiot and proceeded to tell me he cannot return a head gasket if its been opened. I said i know just give me whats on the list.....If he didnt know they would work thats fine i can understand that, but if he had any knowledge of an engine or any interest in knowing about an engine he shoulda said something along the lines of "Sir this headgasket comes up for the CRF450, will they interchange??" then i woulda been alot nicer. I wish i could get a job as a parts guy but make what i made when i was Machining, i would be set..

yellowzo3
01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
blacknblue lmfao I can picture you standing at the counter

Parts Guy: Sir, this is the wrong head gasket, do you even know what your ordering here? Let me go through the computer and find the parts you actually need. Trust me, I'm a professional.

Blacknblue:
http://msa4.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/ostrich.jpg

I totally agree though. I'm sure there are some customers that don't know what they're ordering and he was probably just trying to help incase you did indeed write down the wrong part number. But holy crap don't keep insisting you're wrong after you told him that's what you want :p

TWILES
01-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
UGGGHHHH the headgasket part number you gave me is for a 2005 CRF450R, let me look it up here and see what one you need" i said that is the one i need...he comes back with "umm no sir all your other parts are for a TRX450R but the head gasket is for a CRF450R, which bike are you buying the parts for, they are different engines" I once again said, the part numbers were right and that the CRF head gasket will work its just thinner. He looked at me like i was a right smart idiot and proceeded to tell me he cannot return a head gasket if its been opened. I said i know just give me whats on the list.....If he didnt know they would work thats fine i can understand that, but if he had any knowledge of an engine or any interest in knowing about an engine he shoulda said something along the lines of "Sir this headgasket comes up for the CRF450, will they interchange??" then i woulda been alot nicer. I wish i could get a job as a parts guy but make what i made when i was Machining, i would be set..

Your story is EXACTLY why I like to have a little bit of a relationship with the shop. Then I don't have to put up with that ****. They know me and my bike and there's only a question if I come up with something out of "our" ordinary. Most of the people at these places are so stupid you can't do that. I know a few that aren't but I got to know them through my wife because she worked at the dealership with them and they are nice guys, around my age, love to ride and sharp BUT an hour away.

rollie
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
my dealership is awesome to me, the parts guys (except one) are all great guys and help me out whenever i need it and they realize that i know what im ordering when i order it which is cool, another place near me told a carb for my 110 would be in in a week, called them after two weeks, they said it will be here tomorrow, did the same thing for another week and when i picked it up they told me that i could have picked it up 2 days ago:rolleyes:

muddy400EX
01-11-2010, 08:01 PM
ya this is why i buy online. my local places are either just plain rude, or act like there to cool to pay attention to you

blacknblue#2
01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
blacknblue lmfao I can picture you standing at the counter

Parts Guy: Sir, this is the wrong head gasket, do you even know what your ordering here? Let me go through the computer and find the parts you actually need. Trust me, I'm a professional.

Blacknblue:
http://msa4.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/ostrich.jpg

I totally agree though. I'm sure there are some customers that don't know what they're ordering and he was probably just trying to help incase you did indeed write down the wrong part number. But holy crap don't keep insisting you're wrong after you told him that's what you want :p

hahahaha that picture is the bomb. thats prolly the look i had on my face when the parts guy told me HE was gonna find what i need haha